d**n 4x4 Switch

It wouldn't be such a simple programming issue, GM would have to modify the code for the IPC and the transfer case controller to communicate and turn on the 4x4 light. Sure it would be easy for GM as they have the source code, just not for us.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I did not realize that Floor Shifters were still available.. what models have them?

I may have been wrong in assuming they still exist. Maybe they don't anymore.

Sucks about the programming though, I see what you're saying brims and was hoping it might have been an easy fix...wishful thinking I guess.

I did not realize that Floor Shifters were still available.. what models have them?

You bet they still exist on the base level trucks.My sons 08 WT 4.3 6cvl truck has the manual floor shift plus an idiot light in the dash that lets you know its in 4wd.I'm just glad mytruck has auto trac as I use it when I just need to back up my trailer when I need extra traction.that way when I forget about it :) its not causing any windup.Yes GM poorly thought this one out,ie no dash indicator on solenoid controlled shift

Thanks for clearing that up Ryan. There was too much guess work going on here :)

Definitely would have been nice to have that indicator like in your son's WT. If it helps anyone...at all...I do a visual check on where that dial is every time I start the truck just so I don't accidentally drive away in 4wd. It has become routine like throwing on the seat belt.

I went out and checked my 2007. No 4x4 indicator light appears on the dash when turning on the key, so that the other indicators light up, before starting the engine. (nor after starting the engine, either) According to the manual, it should be right above the oil pressure warning light, but it does not light up.

I'm going to talk to my dealer about it, but I think the easiest way to do this (assuming the light is there and has a bulb or LED in place) would be to tap the wires that power the wimpy LED in the switch. Might have to build a comparator circuit to sense the switch LED coming on to avoid overloading whatever drives it, but that can be done.

All in all, I would much rather that GM fix it. But they also did not include a light in the jockey box nor a light under the hood, so I don't know what the odds are. All kinds of luxury features and fancy sensors, power points galore, and they forget those three simple items. :)

I would like the light too. That was a big oversight on someone's part. :)

But how can you not tell you're in 4x4? I mean the truck steers different, feels different and sounds different. I would notice before I even got out of the driveway. :D

But how can you not tell you're in 4x4? I mean the truck steers different, feels different and sounds different. I would notice before I even got out of the driveway. :D

+1

I accidentally left mine in 4Hi once and I noticed it as I was backing into the street as soon as I turned the wheel. I can also hear the drivetrain when in auto4wd and especially in 4Hi.

+1

I accidentally left mine in 4Hi once and I noticed it as I was backing into the street as soon as I turned the wheel. I can also hear the drivetrain when in auto4wd and especially in 4Hi.

They have the tow/haul light come when the tow/haul mode is selected. You would think GM would be able to do the same thing with 4x4 selector switch.

I perfered the location of the 4x4 buttons on my '02 YukonXL....at least they were not 'hidden'.

I don't like the current location.

I too agree, there should be a light on the dash.

something i found last week after cleaning my interior. I must have bumped the 4x4 dial into 4wd. The truck was not on nor was the key in. A few days later i looked and the dial was set to 4x4 but yet the truck was still in 2wd (light was in the 2wd position). I think the truck has to be running or the ignition on in order for the 4x4 to engage. turning the dial while the truck is off does not effect anything.

A simple fix would be to see if 12 constant volts goes to either t-case or front diff when in 4x4 and not when not in, tap the wire and run to a 194 bulb in the IP, I imagine thats what it uses. Maybe one of them attached to the bulb base.

I think it oculd be done with programming, the trucks zillions of computers that all have to talk to each other (the reason adding something like power fold mirrors isn't easy anymore) all know the truck is in 4x4 except the IP, I don't buy it especially if some trucks IP knows to illuminate the light. I'd bet add the bulb and it might start working, or add the bulb, tell the IP to illuminate ithrough some reprogramming, and then it'd work. But I've not tried it nor no of anyone else who has. Perhaps I'll pull mine out and see whats what.

something i found last week after cleaning my interior. I must have bumped the 4x4 dial into 4wd. The truck was not on nor was the key in. A few days later i looked and the dial was set to 4x4 but yet the truck was still in 2wd (light was in the 2wd position). I think the truck has to be running or the ignition on in order for the 4x4 to engage. turning the dial while the truck is off does not effect anything.

This is true.

This is true.

That would explain my experience. I could not understand how it could be in 4x4 for that long without me noticing. I still want the indicator light on the dash, though. :thumbs:

Well, i watched more closely yesterday when starting the truck and found that I do not have a 4x4 light either just like Fred. With the sun shining on the IP from behind (easier to see where the indicator lights are when not lit) I could not locate any symbol that related to 4wd. Apparently the SLT/LTZ dash styles don't have a light at all, unless I missed it somehow. Maybe Justin at Black Bear can make an intermittent message show up in the DIC saying that it's engaged? Probably won't work but just a thought.

*edit: nevermind, forgot that would be a BCM item.

Archived