Lt Or P Tires

I have an 02 Silverado 4x4 extended cab regular(short) box.

The tires I have on the truck right now are P265/75R16.

I live in Minnesota and I pull a boat (medium size aluminum) or a 2 place ATV trailer when we go up north...otherwise it is just driving around the city.

How much towing or hauling does a guy have to do to make the jump to an LT265/75/R16?

Thanks.

It really depends. If it's used a daily driver without towing/hauling, you're gonna be ok. I know a lot of guys who have "P" tires on their trucks and are quite happy with them. They ride much softer than an "LT" tire.

IMHO, however, I would not recommend going with a "P" tire on a truck, especially if you will tow/haul, even if it's an occasional light load. An "LT" tire is specifically designed for the demands of a truck and its loads. They're constructed much stronger than a "P" tire. You may even be exceeding the weight limit of your current tires. That could spell disaster at any given moment.

The 1500's come with P tires and they can handle the rated limits of the truck.

There is really no reason to go with an LT tire unless you are going to be pushing the limits of your truck on a regular basis.

A medium size boat or a couple of ATV's are no reason to get LT tires.

It really depends. If it's used a daily driver without towing/hauling, you're gonna be ok. I know a lot of guys who have "P" tires on their trucks and are quite happy with them. They ride much softer than an "LT" tire.

IMHO, however, I would not recommend going with a "P" tire on a truck, especially if you will tow/haul, even if it's an occasional light load. An "LT" tire is specifically designed for the demands of a truck and its loads. They're constructed much stronger than a "P" tire. You may even be exceeding the weight limit of your current tires. That could spell disaster at any given moment.

My thoughts exactly. Don't forget, if you ever tow with P-rated tires, you are supposed to de-rate their load rating by 10% when towing. I look at it as cheap insurance for a truck. Why push the limits of P-rated tires which were put on ONLY to make the soccer moms happy with the street ride. Just another opinion.

On what surface do you do most of your driving? If you are 90% or more pavement driving, i would suggest sticking with P rather then go with an LT. It will give you a smoother ride, usually is less road noisy, may possible save you a little fuel, and be cheaper to purchase in the first place.

My thoughts exactly. Don't forget, if you ever tow with P-rated tires, you are supposed to de-rate their load rating by 10% when towing. I look at it as cheap insurance for a truck. Why push the limits of P-rated tires which were put on ONLY to make the soccer moms happy with the street ride. Just another opinion.

Not according to my owners manual. It comes from the factory with P rated tires, and that is what the factory tow ratings are based on.

Not according to my owners manual. It comes from the factory with P rated tires, and that is what the factory tow ratings are based on.

That's what the tire manufacturers recommend. Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to suggest it is unsafe towing with P-rated tires. I'm saying there is a significantly better margin for error on LT rated tires and that is how I look at it as cheap insurance. Also, if you run a C load rating or worst case a D, the ride should not suffer significantly. I actually thought performance improved with the stiffer sidewall when cornering. I ran 200K worth of Michilen LTX M/S in a LT265/75R16 LRC on my old Tahoe and those things rode better than the oem P-rated and I had. Also gave me piece of mind when I was towing cross country.

If we assume P rated tires are supposed to be derated by 10% when usede in truck applications, we would also have to assume that the manufacturers account for this when desiging the vehicle.

A P265/75/16 is rated at 2840 lbs.

Subtract 10% and you get 2556 lbs.

An LT265/75/16C is rated at 2484 lbs.

An LT265/75/16D is rated at 3074 or 3169 lbs. (depends on the tire)

You have to go to a LR D before you get any additional load carrying capacity out of LT tires vs. P tires.

If we assume P rated tires are supposed to be derated by 10% when usede in truck applications, we would also have to assume that the manufacturers account for this when desiging the vehicle.

You have to go to a LR D before you get any additional load carrying capacity out of LT tires vs. P tires.

Correct on many brands of tire. You do get the extra plies on most brands though in the LT's. I think the Michelin's had 3 extra plies in the construction of their LT's versus P's. I think one in each sidewall and one on the main tread. Then again, the 3 may be for a D or Erated. I can never remember these days.

This is waht I am curious about. For example, I want to buy BFG A/T's when my OEM tires wear out.

I have P265/70R17 and want to replace with same size of BFG's. However, BFG's do not have P tires...no problem, but BFG A/Ts are only in LR C for that tire size. The P tires i have are rated for just over 2500# the BFG's w/ LR C are rated for just under 2500#.

Would it be wise not to purchase BFG A/Ts then?

6 Plys=Load Range "C"

8 Plys=Load Range "D"

10 Plys=Load Range "E"

I had "E's" on my truck.

It was like riding on steel rims.

Felt EVERY little uneven spot in the road.

Running over a worm felt like a broom stick!

Unless you are going to abuse and/or push the limits of your truck (which are not covered in the owners manual) then stay with the OEMs.

Archived