Bluetooth Options For 2008 Silverado

I have and 09 LT. Does my truck already have the right vcim? Do I just have to add the ant. & have it programed also is the steering wheel switch the same just the pictures are different? The DIC and wheel controls worked out great with the existing wiring and the info I got from the site so far. Do you have to continue the on star service to continue the bluetooth use? Sorry for so many questions...

Thanks,

JTS

you will need a new vcim if you dont have bluetooth, there are 2 part numbers for the vcim for 09 one w/ bluetooth and one w/o bluetooth. the switch is the exact same except for pictures of the phone. you do not need onstar service for your bluetooth to work. also remember the 2 options your truck must have in order for bluetooth is onstar and steering wheel controls.

07crewsierra,

Have you done this on your own 07? Can you answer some of the questions about some of the guys having problems ordering them? Did you have to supply an 09 VIN? I really want to do this, but I have to know that it really works with no issues.

I have done this to my truck and some of our customers at the dealership, I can talk to my parts guy and find out how he got them, I know we have installed some and might still have one on the shelf. I did not supply an 09 vin, but I know when we first wanted to do this he said the order kept getting canceled. I can ask him monday what he ended up doing to get them. I guess the only way to prove to everyone that it works is to have someone else here do it and tell everyone how great it works.

• Replies 735
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well as soon as my parts come in you'll get your positive review. I would much rather have a factory setup then the aftermarket system I was going to settle for.Since there going to charge me for a minimun should I have them install the unit also or just do it and bring it for the programing?

JTS

For 2009, GM will be offering Bluetooth capability on the HD trucks via Onstar Generation 8.

The 2008 vehicles have Onstar Generation 7. A possible solution would be the capability to

upgrade Onstar from Generation 7 to 8. Keep an open eye to this possible option.

The hardware soluitons via Coastal Tech and their associated Bluetooth adaptor is a possibility.

I believe you're right regarding GEN 7 vs. GEN 8. I have an 09 Sierra with factory Bluetooth integrated. There's no visible indication of the vehicle being equipped with Bluetooth (wires etc...) and it easily paired with my existing phone without any problem. I'm a T-Mobile subscriber and I've had no conflict with the service. What I like best is that 1) the steering wheel audio controls work perfect with my cell phone, 2) the vehicle and cell phone automatically pair when I enter the vehicle, without my having to do anything, and disconnect when I exit the vehicle, 3) incoming call information displays in the area where the odometer reading is located and the system will audibly mention the caller's name if you've established a voice tag for the name, 4) clarity through the speakers and microphone are excellent on both my side and the person that I'm talking with. Lastly, 5) the radio mutes automatically when the call comes in and I answer it. The system is very well done in my opinion.

If possible, I would try and upgrade your existing ONSTAR for Bluetooth if the cost is at all acceptable to you. Just my 2-cents.

Good Luck.

OLY-JIM

Dont know if this is going to work. Well it wouldnt so. The buttons are the same except the mute button has a receiver and the bottom arrow has the receiver with a line going through it to end the call. Other then that there the same and now after seeing them I'll stick with the old buttons for awhile there not that much different.

JTS

I have done this to my truck and some of our customers at the dealership, I can talk to my parts guy and find out how he got them, I know we have installed some and might still have one on the shelf. I did not supply an 09 vin, but I know when we first wanted to do this he said the order kept getting canceled. I can ask him monday what he ended up doing to get them. I guess the only way to prove to everyone that it works is to have someone else here do it and tell everyone how great it works.

Will this work for other Chevy products? The wife has an 08 malibu with onstar and steering wheel controls. When you hit the 'talking mouth' button and say "bluetooth" it'll just say goodbye. Can I swap the VCIM out of the malibu with an 09 malibu VCIM or the truck VCIM you've already posted?

Will this work for other Chevy products? The wife has an 08 malibu with onstar and steering wheel controls. When you hit the 'talking mouth' button and say "bluetooth" it'll just say goodbye. Can I swap the VCIM out of the malibu with an 09 malibu VCIM or the truck VCIM you've already posted?

Just a quick update regarding my order of the VCIM through gmpartsdirect.com. I placed the order on March 23rd (price was aroiund $216 plus shipping), as of today it stills says the status is 'on order'. I don't know how long it will take to get, I emailed them for an update and haven't received a response yet. I am hopeful that they will ship it soon, this sounds like the best system by far.

I dont think the vcim is the same between the trucks and cars, you can check with a parts person just to be sure

I just got an email from GMPartsdirect, they cancelled the order too! Said that they can not supply the part. 078CrewSierra, anyway I can order it through you? Let me know, I will order today if possible.

Guys I have an 09 Chevy Colorado. I do have on-star but I dont have steering wheel controls. My buttons are on the rear view mirror. Do you all think this will work on my truck? I have a double din radio with Cd, xm, stereo and it supprts mp3's. Thanks

I dont think the vcim is the same between the trucks and cars, you can check with a parts person just to be sure

I just got an email from GMPartsdirect, they cancelled the order too! Said that they can not supply the part. 078CrewSierra, anyway I can order it through you? Let me know, I will order today if possible.

Ivan,

Did you fill in your vin. # that could be the problem. I ordered parts and filled in the vin. they emailed me back saying the parts werent right bla bla bla .So I reordered the parts without the vin. and noted that I just wanted to order the parts that I supplied the #'s for and would not try to return them. They then shipped them. I believe they try to cover themselves a little too much. I placed my vcim order with a different company and if and when I get them I'll let you know. If all you need is an 09 vin number get it from a truck on the lot

Ivan,

Did you fill in your vin. # that could be the problem. I ordered parts and filled in the vin. they emailed me back saying the parts werent right bla bla bla .So I reordered the parts without the vin. and noted that I just wanted to order the parts that I supplied the #'s for and would not try to return them. They then shipped them. I believe they try to cover themselves a little too much. I placed my vcim order with a different company and if and when I get them I'll let you know. If all you need is an 09 vin number get it from a truck on the lot

I didn't use a VIN number for my order. You would think that in this economic environment, companies would want to sell stuff. How long ago did you place the order?

I placed the order on 3/26 So theres still a chance they may cancel it. But it's the first time I used the the place so I really dont know there process. I noticed theres a sponser on the left you should give them a try. The problem with ordering on line is live people dont exist any more. I'll keep you updated.

JTS

BAD news for the VCIM. my parts guy tried to order more today and GM will not just sell them any more. we must have just been lucky when we ordered ours. now to order one from GM you will have to supply an 09 vin and can only be ordered for reasons of crash, theft, or fire. if you want to just buy one it will be an exchange basis only with like a $1000.00 core. I think all we can do now is try to find used.

Archived