"service Air Bag" Light Problem

BlakSilvr

Question

So, about a month ago my red airbag light would flash every once in a while. Then the DIC message would come on saying Service Air Bag. However this would go away the next time I started the truck and then would come back randomly. I took it to the dealer and they checked it out and said they found no problem with the airbag, and chalked it up to a computer glitch. I was under the impresion that it was fixed.

Nope. A mere 4 days later it came back on, but this time it was doing something different. It seemed that when I'd go over uneven pavement that it would turn off and my regular DIC info would come back...and then they next bump I'd hit I'd get the air bag message again. And now yesterday it was doing that again but it didnt seem that it mattered if I was going over a bump or not..and now its just on, and my OnStar system light is red, too...

I'm definitely bringing it back in to the dealer but I'd just like to have an idea of what this could be because the service guys at my local dealer tend to be...well, lazy...and I don't want them to BS me and end up with the problem not getting fixed. Here's a video I took while driving yesterday. Horrible quality, took it with my cell phone, but you get the idea.

VIDEO

How do you get the Air Bag error codes? I don't believe they are available from the normal ODB II plug are they? My airbag error light has been on for the past year and I'd be happy to change which ever sensor is at fault if I could figure out which one. I figure if I pull the SIR fuse and disconnect the airbag connectors (as the manual says to disable them) then I should be able to muck around and replace the sensor without risk.

You can access SIR error codes through the standard OBD II connector, if you have a scan tool capable of doing it. That's up to the tool you have. I would definetly recommend you pull the trouble codes and get a full understanding of your SIR system before you attempt anything.

Also, The sensing and diagnostic module has a reserve energy supply for the purpose of deployment that can last up to a minute after disconnecting vehicle power. You should wait at least five minutes and verify the circuit is open before you disconnect anything. Even if the deployment modules are disconnected, they will still deploy if current is applied. So don't probe them and be careful of static.

Hey Waltv - do you know what those SIR error codes are? I looked this up in my Hayes manual and there are none listed where all the other ODBII codes are given.

Thanks

Anybody that can help would be appreciated

I am trying to REMOVE the passenger airbag from my 2003 Silverado but the "Service Airbag" light won't let me see my miles or anything. can i "trick" my truck to make it think that the airbag is still in and working fine. Thanks for your time

Needs 2.5 ohm resistance

Well I actually just got back from the dealer and its all fixed. Turned out to be a faulty passenger side seat belt buckle that was setting it off. They replaced the buckle and tested the system and I'm as good as new.

Quite the hassle getting it fixed though. The first time I brought it in the light decided not to come on so they couldn't grab a code. Then it kept coming on so I brought it in Monday and they had to order the parts, which wouldn't be in till Tuesday...but I needed the truck all day Tuesday so I had to bring it in again this morning before work and now its finally taken care of. Here's hoping thats as bad a problem I have with my 8 month old truck for a very, very long time.

I had a similar problem this past Feb. It would sometimes come on for a few minutes, then go away. There seemed to be no rhyme or reason bumps in the road sometimes, sometimes not. Finally, the message came on and stayed. It turned out to be a faulty sensor under the front bumper. It was all salted up from the winter. They're little one inch square blocks with a connector and wires coming out the back. I didn't try screwing with it for fear of tripping the damn bags. That would have really cost a few $$$.

I think with labor it was only $150

Take a look, that may be an easy to spot problem.

Anybody that can help would be appreciated

I am trying to REMOVE the passenger airbag from my 2003 Silverado but the "Service Airbag" light won't let me see my miles or anything. can i "trick" my truck to make it think that the airbag is still in and working fine. Thanks for your time

I have one......

I removed my airbag on my 2008 Sierra to replace my steering wheel with one with radio controls, and when I put it all together, the airbagg light now stays on constantly.

I did disconnect the battery for almost an hour just to make sure.

I have removed the bag, and reconnected it several times, to no avail. I did however break one of the CPA clips in the proccess, but it still clips in place, and being that it is plastic, it should not cause any contact problems.

Any ideas???

I know this is old, but I did the same exact thing on the same truck and some how I broke a CPA clip. After much research, I finally found them. They are part number GM 88988974.

Like a miracle, the "service air bag" light went away!

Hi there, Would a new one like me be welcome here?

Thanks so much in deed.

fiscalite assurance vie

Had the same problem, just came on one day out of nowherw abd i was puzzked as to what was wrong, turned out a lose wire in passenger side seat. I only figured that out because about 2 days after light started i was putting on a seat cover on the passenger side, when installing you have to run the strings in between the backrest and seat so i had to adjust the backrest forward the al the way back to navigate the string and when i finished installing my covers i had to go someolace so i hooed in the truck and started it uo and of course the light came on but it always does when first started but luke 4 seconds it went off. A week later i tryed to reproduce the light to make sure so i wiggled and put pressure on the seat and it came on, moved again and went off again. There are several air bag sensors and wires with them, sometimes they can get a short. Just be carful, you dont want yo set one off and have air bag goboff on you. But more then likely its a lose wire.

Hope this helps.

I have one......

I removed my airbag on my 2008 Sierra to replace my steering wheel with one with radio controls, and when I put it all together, the airbagg light now stays on constantly.

I did disconnect the battery for almost an hour just to make sure.

I have removed the bag, and reconnected it several times, to no avail. I did however break one of the CPA clips in the proccess, but it still clips in place, and being that it is plastic, it should not cause any contact problems.

Any ideas???

Hi there, Would a new one like me be welcome here?

Thanks so much in deed.

fiscalite assurance vie

mmm.. i looked under some bulletins under SI. I see a couple bulletins... one stands out.. as you say you hit a bump it comes on? This could be caused by a loose, missing, or broken Connector Position Assurance (CPA) retainer at the Air Bag. Make sure you tell them when you hit a bump or rough roads.. sry i cant do anymore.. im not there lookin at it!

mmm.. i looked under some bulletins under SI. I see a couple bulletins... one stands out.. as you say you hit a bump it comes on? This could be caused by a loose, missing, or broken Connector Position Assurance (CPA) retainer at the Air Bag. Make sure you tell them when you hit a bump or rough roads.. sry i cant do anymore.. im not there lookin at it!

Yeah there was a time where it would turn on and off as I was going over rough roads...but then yesterday it did the same thing but I was on a fairly smooth freeway...and now it is on all the time, every time I turn on the truck whereas before it would only turn on every once in a while. I have an appointment set for Monday morning and when I called I told them everything thats going on. The guy sounded a little unsure, especially when I mentioned the red OnStar light...which has since gone back to green.

With my luck the morning I go to take it in it won't come on and they won't be able to recreate the problem. :D

Archived