"service Air Bag" Light Problem

BlakSilvr

Question

So, about a month ago my red airbag light would flash every once in a while. Then the DIC message would come on saying Service Air Bag. However this would go away the next time I started the truck and then would come back randomly. I took it to the dealer and they checked it out and said they found no problem with the airbag, and chalked it up to a computer glitch. I was under the impresion that it was fixed.

Nope. A mere 4 days later it came back on, but this time it was doing something different. It seemed that when I'd go over uneven pavement that it would turn off and my regular DIC info would come back...and then they next bump I'd hit I'd get the air bag message again. And now yesterday it was doing that again but it didnt seem that it mattered if I was going over a bump or not..and now its just on, and my OnStar system light is red, too...

I'm definitely bringing it back in to the dealer but I'd just like to have an idea of what this could be because the service guys at my local dealer tend to be...well, lazy...and I don't want them to BS me and end up with the problem not getting fixed. Here's a video I took while driving yesterday. Horrible quality, took it with my cell phone, but you get the idea.

VIDEO

How do you get the Air Bag error codes? I don't believe they are available from the normal ODB II plug are they? My airbag error light has been on for the past year and I'd be happy to change which ever sensor is at fault if I could figure out which one. I figure if I pull the SIR fuse and disconnect the airbag connectors (as the manual says to disable them) then I should be able to muck around and replace the sensor without risk.

How do you get the Air Bag error codes? I don't believe they are available from the normal ODB II plug are they? My airbag error light has been on for the past year and I'd be happy to change which ever sensor is at fault if I could figure out which one. I figure if I pull the SIR fuse and disconnect the airbag connectors (as the manual says to disable them) then I should be able to muck around and replace the sensor without risk.

You can access SIR error codes through the standard OBD II connector, if you have a scan tool capable of doing it. That's up to the tool you have. I would definetly recommend you pull the trouble codes and get a full understanding of your SIR system before you attempt anything.

Also, The sensing and diagnostic module has a reserve energy supply for the purpose of deployment that can last up to a minute after disconnecting vehicle power. You should wait at least five minutes and verify the circuit is open before you disconnect anything. Even if the deployment modules are disconnected, they will still deploy if current is applied. So don't probe them and be careful of static.

GMC Terrain drivers

This is definitely an electrical problem. High resistance or a shorting of the wires connected.

This solves your problem and maybe you will get a refund.

Please see this link on the special coverage for illumination of service air bag.

http://gm.oemdtc.com/3541/14710-illumination-of-airbag-lightservice-airbag-message-2010-2011-chevrolet-equinox-gmc-terrain

Avi

Archived