Check Engine Light Code P0449

07 tahoe 50,000 miles check engine light is on, autozone says code is P0449 this is what their ticket says:

The PCM has determined that a malfunction exists in the electrical circuit for the vent valve/solenoid in the evaporative emission control system.

Definition:

EVAP (Evaporative Emission System) purge/vent solenoid circuit condition

Explanation:

The solenoids and system wiring are monitored for opens or shorts

Probable Causes

1- Purge or vent solenoids defective

2- Check connevtor and wiring

3- Fuel saturated vapor canister

4- Failed EVAP vent solenoid

anyone else had to deal with this, any info/help is appreciated.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
07 tahoe 50,000 miles check engine light is on, autozone says code is P0449 this is what their ticket says:

The PCM has determined that a malfunction exists in the electrical circuit for the vent valve/solenoid in the evaporative emission control system.

Definition:

Explanation:

Probable Causes

Hey HD,

My 2005 Silverado (70k miles) just popped this code over the weekend. I troubleshoot it down to the solenoid.

I am having trouble locating the replacement solenoid, though. I found a what looks likes a solenoid kit replacement, Part# 19152349(ACDelco Part#214-2082) but I can't confirm it's going to work on my truck.

How did you fare with your code? Did you get fixed?

Thanks, -Ed

i would like to know as well what the problem is... i have the obd2 scanner and this code pops up every 4 months or so... i just clear it till next time. lol. its a random code so it's hard to troubleshoot

Definition:

Explanation:

Probable Causes

Hey HD,

My 2005 Silverado (70k miles) just popped this code over the weekend. I troubleshoot it down to the solenoid.

I am having trouble locating the replacement solenoid, though. I found a what looks likes a solenoid kit replacement, Part# 19152349(ACDelco Part#214-2082) but I can't confirm it's going to work on my truck.

Thanks, -Ed

Which solenoid?? The purge or vent??

Definition:

Explanation:

Probable Causes

Hey HD,

Thanks, -Ed

The vent solenoid (I think). It's the solenoid on the canister. I have only been able to find the purge valve solenoid (AC Delco Part#214-1105) from a few parts catalogs.

Definition:

Explanation:

Probable Causes

Hey HD,

Thanks, -Ed

The vent solenoid (I think). It's the solenoid on the canister. I have only been able to find the purge valve solenoid (AC Delco Part#214-1105) from a few parts catalogs.

I believe gm has made a replacement part for the solenoid. I called about a month ago.

The parts guy told me $184, wow. I think this is a very common problem. I have not fixed mine yet. 2003 silverado.

Hey HD,

Thanks, -Ed

I believe gm has made a replacement part for the solenoid. I called about a month ago.

The parts guy told me $184, wow. I think this is a very common problem. I have not fixed mine yet. 2003 silverado.

I ordered the solenoid replacement kit (the AC Delco PN 214-2082) this week and it was $88 with shipping. I received it on Thursday. I am going to install it tomorrow. The install requires adding some additional hose tubing. I'll post the details after I replace the part.

I ordered the solenoid replacement kit (the AC Delco PN 214-2082) this week and it was $88 with shipping. I received it on Thursday. I am going to install it tomorrow. The install requires adding some additional hose tubing. I'll post the details after I replace the part.

Attached are some pictures and details and information on the install of this kit. The install took about 30 mins total.

EVAP_Vent_Vale_Solenoid_Replacement.PDF

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for the detailed write up Ed!

My configuration seems to be a little different. I have an '04 Long Bed Regular cab. My Evap Vent Vent Valve is located above the front outboard side of the tank. The hard hose going to the vent valve actually routes over the tank. The hard hose is secured over the tank with plastic clips that are difficult to see.

I was wondering about a couple things.

- Is there a trick to removing the hard hose from the tank side?

- What is the trick to undo those big clips that secure the hard hose over the tank?

Thanks....

• 4 weeks later...

Just back from Service where they quoted me $320.40 to replace the Evaporative vent solenoid on my '05 Sierra Denali, $197 was the parts price. Anybody know "HOW" to replace this part? (Do I have to drop the tank?) Can't afford $300 in this economy so it's DIY time.

Omer ([email protected])

Definition:

Explanation:

Probable Causes

• 1 month later...

Thank you

Ed8675309

The pdf file is perfect-------- the chev dealer where truck was bought wanted $543.66, I was 63 miles out of warenty.

I bought the replacement part gmdirect 19152349 for $74. as you know the parts look completely diferent from OMD.

your pictures of the replacement was extremely helpful to me, again thanks

steve ryan

• 4 weeks later...

I have an 05 1500 crewcab with the engin light comes on and off. I did a diagnostic through on-star and they tell me that its an emission failure. I have replaced the gas cap and the light went out, but came on shortly after. I filled my gas tank up and it went out shortly after that, but came back on a few moments later. Is this something that someone is familure with this???

• 1 month later...

Archived