Check Engine Light Code P0449

o.k. i went to get the parts for my 2003 silverado 4.8 and the dealer gave me part number 214-2082

but i thought i needed 214-2081 what is the difference???? just some heater hose???

i tried searching and came up with nothing

thank in advance

Tiny

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...

Hi guys, I'm new on here. Well, I had my CEL go off last week, and, yep, it was P0449. I was looking to buy the EVAP vent valve solenoid from a dealer. They gave me the part # 19207762. This is nothing like the part #'s mentioned in this thread, although I think it's the same type of part. I looked it up on GM Parts Direct and it looks to be right. My truck is a 2003 Silverado 1500. I guess the part # could be different for me, because it seems to be located between the cab and bed, near the top of the fuel tank. Just my luck. Does this mean the whole bed has to come off to replace this guy (or the fuel tank)? Sounds difficult there.

What are the ramifications from not replacing this part?

She has 144,000 miles on her. Maybe it's time to sell and move on...I dunno. Any tips welcome.

Thanks.

I just had this fixed on my '07 Classic. It was still in warranty. The dealer said there was a TSB, try google you may be able to find it. If I recall it's not just a different part, but they reroute the lines somehow. I don't think this is a terribly difficult fix for anyone with basic hand tools. I would fix it before you sell your truck, you'll get more for it without the check engine light on!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Iguana....

I have a 2004. They told me to get part 19152349, but I believe its the wrong one. Although mine is an '04 it sounds like mine is located in the same location as yours. I thought the '03 was supposed to use 19152345. Maybe the kit has been updated again?

Anyhow, although it seemed the "kit" was wrong the solenoid did the trick, I just had to mount it with tie wraps (temporarily until I figure out the real solution).

I was able to get mine in and out w/o removing the bed. I'm not going to say it was a piece of cake, but it was not impossible, just something that will require some contortionist skills and some patience. The hardest part is getting the hard hose that goes to the tank to unclip from the plastic clips above the tank. To do this, I remember wedging my head up and leaning it back against the drive shaft while one arm with two screw drivers reaches in to get at the clips. One wedged into the V lock, another large flat head screw driver to actually pry the clips open.

Please let me know what your kit contains when you finally get it.

Anyhow, let me know how you make out. I will probably be doing this job again soon and I'll probably be ordering the '03 part. No one can tell me whether I really need the '03 part or not, but based on the fact that mine seems to be located behind the cab like yours - I think that's what I need.

Now more parts numbers being thrown into the mix. What a mess!

Hi Iguana....

I have a 2004. They told me to get part 19152349, but I believe its the wrong one. Although mine is an '04 it sounds like mine is located in the same location as yours. I thought the '03 was supposed to use 19152345. Maybe the kit has been updated again?

Anyhow, although it seemed the "kit" was wrong the solenoid did the trick, I just had to mount it with tie wraps (temporarily until I figure out the real solution).

I was able to get mine in and out w/o removing the bed. I'm not going to say it was a piece of cake, but it was not impossible, just something that will require some contortionist skills and some patience. The hardest part is getting the hard hose that goes to the tank to unclip from the plastic clips above the tank. To do this, I remember wedging my head up and leaning it back against the drive shaft while one arm with two screw drivers reaches in to get at the clips. One wedged into the V lock, another large flat head screw driver to actually pry the clips open.

Please let me know what your kit contains when you finally get it.

Anyhow, let me know how you make out. I will probably be doing this job again soon and I'll probably be ordering the '03 part. No one can tell me whether I really need the '03 part or not, but based on the fact that mine seems to be located behind the cab like yours - I think that's what I need.

Now more parts numbers being thrown into the mix. What a mess!

• 3 weeks later...

I had the same code come up and the dealer said it wasnt under warrantee. They wanted $100 just to run a series of tests. Worst part was that I had bought the extended warrantee for these exact reasons. Anyways, found the part # on here and bought it ($150) from the dealer. It's basically the same solinoid with a length of tubing that rerouts a new filter up near the tranny. It is just wire tied to the fuel lines. Took me about 20 minutes and went to the parts store and reset the code. She's good to go now. Thanks guys!

Had the same error code p0449 found the info on this site very helpful. Ordered the part from GM Direct for 78.00 plus 17 to ship still cheaper then the dealer wanted 150.00. plus 23.00 for the hose and did the job myself. Thanks very much for the help evryone.

OK, I give.

I used the search and have been digging for a few days and can't find the part number for the replacement evap vent solenoid for an '06 Silverado 1500.

Any help would be appreciated.

I have my fireproof suit on too, so if it is obvious and I missed it, flame away!

• 1 month later...

Just wanted to say thanks, especially to Ed for the PDF. I just replaced my evap vent valve in my 06 GMC Sierra CC. I bought the part from GM partsdirect for 94.00 shipped and got it in about 5 days. The dealer wanted 180.00 for the part and I assume it would have been 3-400 hundered bucks for them to fix this. This website is awesome.

Thanks,

Yotaman

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Guys,

I'm new to the Forum, but needed some help from the best Chevy owners in the U.S.A.!!

I also got the P0449 code 3 days ago. The truck runs fine ...is this a common failure on these trucks???? :lol: My code sheet from Auto Zone lists (4) possible causes:

(1) Purge or vent solenoid defective

(2) Check connector and wiring

(3) Fuel saturated vapor canister

(4) Failed EVAP vent solenoid

Are there any drawbacks for not fixing this, other than the light being on? Like I said, the truck seems to run fine.

I am pretty sure that it is the vent valve solenoid under the truck near the fuel tank. I recently replaced mine and all is good. After I got the new one in I took the old one apart. The valve comes off of the canister and I wish I would have tried to shoot some Kroil or WD40 to see if I could have got it to open/close again. I am pretty sure that after all the research I did that the 449 code is the Canister Purge valve. I bought mine from GM Partsdirect for 94.00 Shipped.

Good Luck

Yotaman

Hi Guys, I'm new in this forum but I found a lot of useful advise, and trying to give a little extra help for who ever need it, I'm having same code P0449, and was a real trip to find the replacement, not in Autozone, O'rally, Advance Autoparts, until I read here that ACDelco have the replacement, so doing a little research in Google, found this site: "http://parts-catalog.acdelco.com/b2c/catalog_search.php" that is ACDelco catalog on-line, they don't have pictures for those parts but you can find a store close to you and buy it. ACDelco have two different numbers: 214-2082 and 214-1686, talking to the salesman said that P/N: 214-2082 (19152349) is for trucks that have the solenoid valve under the bed (close to the gas tank) that was my case ($101.31) and P/N:214-1686 is for the ones that have it on the cabin or between, and cost around $35, but is more difficult to changed.

I finally have my part and will try to replace it tonight :dunno:

Hi Guys, I'm new in this forum but I found a lot of useful advise, and trying to give a little extra help for who ever need it, I'm having same code P0449, and was a real trip to find the replacement, not in Autozone, O'rally, Advance Autoparts, until I read here that ACDelco have the replacement, so doing a little research in Google, found this site: "http://parts-catalog.acdelco.com/b2c/catalog_search.php" that is ACDelco catalog on-line, they don't have pictures for those parts but you can find a store close to you and buy it. ACDelco have two different numbers: 214-2082 and 214-1686, talking to the salesman said that P/N: 214-2082 (19152349) is for trucks that have the solenoid valve under the bed (close to the gas tank) that was my case ($101.31) and P/N:214-1686 is for the ones that have it on the cabin or between, and cost around $35, but is more difficult to changed.

I finally have my part and will try to replace it tonight :dunno:

Good link man! I am going to pick mine up at the local AC Delco dealer today.

15 to 20 minutes to change solenoid and clear code, no specials tools needed, just a couple screw drivers.

Remember, ACDelco replacement has two pieces, not just one like OEM, filter is apart from solenoid, so you will need an extra 5/8 hose and 2 clamps.

Now I'm ready to pass my state inspection... :dunno:

Archived