Transmission Problems On 4l60e Equipped GMC Truck

I got a question for you:

Can I swap the 4L60E for a fortified 4L70E directly? (Drop the old one and pop in the new one)

Thanks

Direct swap, just better parts!

Why not go with a 4l80?

Doesn't that involve a crossmember mod? or is the 4L80E also a direct swap?

No, The 4L80E is not a direct swap. The cross members are different and the driveshaft will need to be shortened as the trans is longer.

There is a thread here somewhere where someone swapped out his 4L60E for a 4L80E. - fairly involved.

I have an 05 Yukon with the 4L60E that has recently started having issues in the 3-4 shift. All other shifts seem to be normal for now.

When it shifts from 3-4 it will engage, disengage, re-engage. I assume this is the TCC going in and out of lock-up??? Don't know for sure though. Anyway, it does this cycle fairly quickly at least twice before it settles into overdrive/high gear. This usually occurs around 45-50 mph under light to moderate throttle. Usually can be mimicked by starting onto an interstate where it has to go through all the gears under normal/light acceleration. Can see it do this by watching the RPM gauge fluctuate up and down as well as hear and feel it. Can usually get it to stop if I press further down on the accelerator but then it seems to lug in the high gear unless I press further then it will upshift and if I let off it may or may not do the same thing again depending on the speed. Hope that makes sense.

Another strange thing it will do is around 45 mph when it can't fully decide whether it wants to be in 3rd or 4th it will shift into third then klunk into lug in fourth. Usually occurs on back roads where the speeds are slower. Any ideas as to what is going on and how it can be fixed would be great.

Unit has 63K miles on it fluid looks and smells normal and the temperature is within normal limits. There are no service engine lights on and no codes that I'm aware of.

I've taken it to the GM dealer and they told me it was the normal function of the electronic throttle, but that sounds like B.S., plus it didn't do this when we got it 2 years ago up until a few months ago.

Is there anything I can do to get things going/point the dealer in the right direction to get it fixed? Last time they drove it they said they couldn't duplicate the problem and the electronic throttle B.S. It's under warranty until June and would like to get it taken care of before that runs out. Thanks for your help!

My 2000 Suburban was doing this and I had a very good shop in Denver look at it and they said the tranny was fine. They suggested I check the TPS. I replaced the TPS and it fixed it instantly.

On another note. I've noticed recently when towing (first time towing with this truck) there is a definite change in tone when going up hills. The RPM doesn't move, the speed will hold but the engine sounds like it's...making more power? Does that make sense? If the hill is long or steep enough it will downshift, but before it does it will go thru this tonal change. Almost like I can hear the throttle opening more. Just wondering what it is. Thanks!

Just a greater load induced on the engine. No worries......... My 2500 with 22k behind it you learn noises quite well.

Can I swap the 4L60E for a fortified 4L70E directly? (Drop the old one and pop in the new one)

Thanks

Why not go with a 4l80?

NOPE it's not bolt up. Cross member is farther back and trannie case is quite a bit longer. So you will need a new drive shaft.

Jbo

I have an 05 Yukon with the 4L60E that has recently started having issues in the 3-4 shift. All other shifts seem to be normal for now.

When it shifts from 3-4 it will engage, disengage, re-engage. I assume this is the TCC going in and out of lock-up??? Don't know for sure though. Anyway, it does this cycle fairly quickly at least twice before it settles into overdrive/high gear. This usually occurs around 45-50 mph under light to moderate throttle. Usually can be mimicked by starting onto an interstate where it has to go through all the gears under normal/light acceleration. Can see it do this by watching the RPM gauge fluctuate up and down as well as hear and feel it. Can usually get it to stop if I press further down on the accelerator but then it seems to lug in the high gear unless I press further then it will upshift and if I let off it may or may not do the same thing again depending on the speed. Hope that makes sense.

Another strange thing it will do is around 45 mph when it can't fully decide whether it wants to be in 3rd or 4th it will shift into third then klunk into lug in fourth. Usually occurs on back roads where the speeds are slower. Any ideas as to what is going on and how it can be fixed would be great.

Unit has 63K miles on it fluid looks and smells normal and the temperature is within normal limits. There are no service engine lights on and no codes that I'm aware of.

I've taken it to the GM dealer and they told me it was the normal function of the electronic throttle, but that sounds like B.S., plus it didn't do this when we got it 2 years ago up until a few months ago.

Is there anything I can do to get things going/point the dealer in the right direction to get it fixed? Last time they drove it they said they couldn't duplicate the problem and the electronic throttle B.S. It's under warranty until June and would like to get it taken care of before that runs out. Thanks for your help!

My 2000 Suburban was doing this and I had a very good shop in Denver look at it and they said the tranny was fine. They suggested I check the TPS. I replaced the TPS and it fixed it instantly.

On another note. I've noticed recently when towing (first time towing with this truck) there is a definite change in tone when going up hills. The RPM doesn't move, the speed will hold but the engine sounds like it's...making more power? Does that make sense? If the hill is long or steep enough it will downshift, but before it does it will go thru this tonal change. Almost like I can hear the throttle opening more. Just wondering what it is. Thanks!

Just a greater load induced on the engine. No worries......... My 2500 with 22k behind it you learn noises quite well.

Thanks

Why not go with a 4l80?

NOPE it's not bolt up. Cross member is farther back and trannie case is quite a bit longer. So you will need a new drive shaft.

Jbo

As I suspected

Hello Everyone:

I just purchased a 2005 Silverado LT, 2500HD. It has about 35K miles, 6.0L V8 and 4L80-e A/T.

It is a one owner truck bought new in this Area and traded in at the local Chevy Dealer this past weekend. Clean as new - must have been garage kept and appears to have been very well taken care of. I was told that the previous owner used it to tow a pop-up type travel trailer. Most of the mileage is highway driving.

I hear a high pitch screech, or loud semi- metallic ringing - - when starting off in Drive {1st gear} - that lasts until the transmission shifts into 2nd. From that point on there is no noise and transmission shifts smoothy on up though all gears. Kick the accelerator down at 60mph and the trans. downshifts and the truck runs out very smoothly.

If I put the selector lever in "2" at a dead stop - so as to start out in 2nd gear there is no noise.

Anyone run into this? Know what is causing it?

Thanks,

Carl B.

Clearwater, FL

Hello Everyone:

I just purchased a 2005 Silverado LT, 2500HD. It has about 35K miles, 6.0L V8 and 4L80-e A/T.

It is a one owner truck bought new in this Area and traded in at the local Chevy Dealer this past weekend. Clean as new - must have been garage kept and appears to have been very well taken care of. I was told that the previous owner used it to tow a pop-up type travel trailer. Most of the mileage is highway driving.

I hear a high pitch screech, or loud semi- metallic ringing - - when starting off in Drive {1st gear} - that lasts until the transmission shifts into 2nd. From that point on there is no noise and transmission shifts smoothy on up though all gears. Kick the accelerator down at 60mph and the trans. downshifts and the truck runs out very smoothly.

If I put the selector lever in "2" at a dead stop - so as to start out in 2nd gear there is no noise.

Anyone run into this? Know what is causing it?

Thanks,

Carl B.

Clearwater, FL

The 4L8E's first gear is straight cut for strength and this is what causes the whining noise. It's normal. I asked about it with my 2001 2500HD. It had the whine and my 2004 did also.

I have never heard a odd noise outta my 4l80e..... Its a 2001 2500....... And I tow well over the manual suggested weight. All I hear is that 6.0 under the hood sayn...... OH YEAH!!!!, I finally get to breath to my fullest..... As it tach up towards in the RPM band..

Jbo

The 4L8E's first gear is straight cut for strength and this is what causes the whining noise. It's normal. I asked about it with my 2001 2500HD. It had the whine and my 2004 did also.

Hello arborbarber:

Did your transmission whine so loud that it makes your neighbors stop what they are doing and stare at your truck, as you drive by? I mean this is embarrasing... I've never noticed any other 2500HD's making this noise.

thanks,

Carl

Edited by Carl B.

hey what would cause pump seal and rear output seals to go bad? i lost both around 80k and ive towed maybe 1000 lbs twice...also how do yo tel if the trans is getting hot if you don't have the dummy guage?

also can you tell me whats the deal with the bump shifting in the 03-04 L60s? does it hurt anything? everybody i have that has one does the bump shift i think at 1st and 2nd, and kick hard on downshifts...also in your experience whats the average life of the 60?

Edited by jro909

Hi Guys:

OK - this morning I took the truck to a couple of guys I know that either repair trucks for a living, or own their own truck speciality businesses. Both took it out for a fairly long drive, ran it up/down though the gears and speed ranges.. They tell me it is a more or less normal sound from that transmission, but both said that it was indeed louder than most.

Funny thing is - the more it has been driven, the lower the sound level has become. At this point it is certainly not "quite".. but it isn't screaming at the top of its lungs either. Both agreed that if the truck has been left sitting for six months, just driving it more could reduce the noise a bit more.

Both said they wouldn't worry about it at this point because otherwise the transmission shifts as it should.

thanks for everyone's response...

Carl B.

Thank you, I feel much better now. I was a little concerned but everything else seemed alright. Towing with this thing for the first time and it was a 2000 mile trip. Turned out just fine.

Thank you, I feel much better now. I was a little concerned but everything else seemed alright. Towing with this thing for the first time and it was a 2000 mile trip. Turned out just fine.

Haha, try this...... Round hay bails on goose neck trailer with; 4x2 wide on the base of the flat of the trailer. 3x2 on the top of the 4x2 pile. One on the neck of the trailer and one on the dove tail tieing everything together. So if you were adding that up that is 8+6+1+1=16 bales. OBO 1750lb each...... that is 28000lbs plus the trailer..... You learn about torque and electric trailer brakes...... I did that ONE TIME with my buddies trailer.... His trailer is 108inch by 26 or 28 (foot) can not remember how long exactly my trailer is 108inX24ft.........

No, problems the old 6.0L just said aight..... Transmission said can you swap me out for an allison....... But did it anyways....... I need a 6.6 and an allison trannnie in my 2500....

Jbo

Hello Everyone:

See my original Post #97 Above; this is just a follow-up post FYI.

I took my 05 2500HD into the local Chevy Dealer's Service Dept. I had purchased the truck from there last weekend, and they had a few items to take care of, which they had agreed to do when I purchased the truck.. {turn the rotors to address brake shudder and supply an additional key and key fob}

I ask the Service Advisor to check the "normal noise" in the transmission because it seemed abnormally loud.

Over the period of the day - they did listen to it, they did agree it was louder than most... Checking the service history on the truck, they saw that the original owner had complained about it first at 8K miles. At 21K miles it seems that GM had a Service Bulletin related to the noise and a factory kit or service pack to address it. This was done.. and the noise was still there.

It seems that GM knew that the recommended "fix" - did not fix the problem in these trucks - so they have since deleted the Service Bulletin and service pack.

The Service Manager called the GM Tech. Line and talked to the people there. It seems that the louder than normal metallic whine is still present in several trucks... Given that my truck is now over 5 years old and has about 36K miles... there may not be anything that GM is willing to do at this point.

I say "may not" because the Service Manager is still working his way up through higher levels at GM. He feels that because this issue has been present since the first year - has been documented in the GM service records and still hasn't been satisfactorily address.... they might be talked into doing something at least for the Dealership...

He said it's a very slim chance... because they are of the opinion that the noise isn't or hasn't been associated with any failures of the transmissions. So I hold little hope, but you never know till you try.

Other than that - this truck is a real joy. Clean as new, and very well cared for by its original owner. Maybe could use some better shocks and I think I'll install a transmission Temp. Gauge.

FWIW,

Carl B.

Mine is doing something similar - 2003 GMC 1500 Z71 w/ 5.3. It has 78,000, I am the original owner, and I have changed the tranny fluid every 30,000 with a filter. Fluid is full and smells fine. When going up a two lane road at around 50 MPH, running around 1500 RPM, very light throttle, it seems to jump in and out of 3rd to 4th then back again, all under steady throttle on level ground. Shifts back and forth, back and forth. Can't tell if its the Torque converter or what. Someone suggested it might be the TPS. It may be, but has anyone else experienced this? Just would like a second opinion before I start with a new TPS. Thanks.

Edited by REV NH

• 1 month later...
....snipped...cjb...

The Service Manager called the GM Tech. Line and talked to the people there. It seems that the louder than normal metallic whine is still present in several trucks... Given that my truck is now over 5 years old and has about 36K miles... there may not be anything that GM is willing to do at this point.

I say "may not" because the Service Manager is still working his way up through higher levels at GM. He feels that because this issue has been present since the first year - has been documented in the GM service records and still hasn't been satisfactorily address.... they might be talked into doing something at least for the Dealership...

He said it's a very slim chance... because they are of the opinion that the noise isn't or hasn't been associated with any failures of the transmissions. So I hold little hope, but you never know till you try.

Hello Everyone:

This is a follow-up to my Post at #106 above.

GM/Chevy - replaced my transmission yesterday.

I had hooked my 2500HD up to my enclosed car hauler a few weeks ago, and with a load on the truck the transmission whine was louder still, in First Gear and carried on though Second Gear. So loud that I was afraid to leave town with it. {so we used my son's 08 1500 that trip}.

I took my truck back to the Chevy Service Dept. and told them what happened. The Service Manager ask if I could hook up the trailer - and bring the rig back so the Transmission Tech could see/observe the problem. So I did... Another call to the Product Quality Center {aka Tech Line} was then made by the Service Manager.

I was on Facebook - talking about the problem with another group - and a representative from GM Customer Assistance PM'ed me and ask for some more information {VIN and Mileage}... He said he would look into it and see what could be done.

The next day the Service Manager at my local Chevy Dealer called to tell me that GM had authorized the replacement of the transmission. There would be no charge to me.

Needless to say - "I'm a happy camper now!!". Glad that I bought the truck from the Local Chevy Dealer - Glad that the previous owner took such good care of the truck. Glad that the previous owner had all recommended Factory Services preformed at the Dealership.

Most of all - I was glad to see that GM/Chevy stood behind their product - even if it was nearing the end of the maximum mileage warranty {36K} and especially because it was well over its time limit {36 months}.

FWIW,

Carl B.

Clearwater, FL

2005 2500HD Crew Cab