Evap Vent Valve Location

nharrel

Question

I just replaced the EVAP vent valve with the "New and improved " ACdelco part # 214-2082 which relocates the filter box. It wasn't to hard a job. My question is does this fix the problem when the tank is filled up to the top? I can't imagine not being able to fill the tank all the way up. Does any one elase think this is a problem and does any one else no if there is a way to stop the problem other than not being able to fill it all the way up.

Overfilling the vehicle does not effect the vent valve, it saturates the canister. It will not happen the first time it is done, hundreds of overfills is usually what does it. As a general rule don't overfill but again it didn't do the valve in.

I just replaced the EVAP vent valve with the "New and improved " ACdelco part # 214-2082 which relocates the filter box. It wasn't to hard a job. My question is does this fix the problem when the tank is filled up to the top? I can't imagine not being able to fill the tank all the way up. Does any one elase think this is a problem and does any one else no if there is a way to stop the problem other than not being able to fill it all the way up.

Overfilling the vehicle does not effect the vent valve, it saturates the canister. It will not happen the first time it is done, hundreds of overfills is usually what does it. As a general rule don't overfill but again it didn't do the valve in.

Hey your awesome thanks for the quick answer. So i guess the canister will dry out as long as I stop filling it up to much. I haven't filled it up since I replaced the part, tanks still full.

Hey your awesome thanks for the quick answer. So i guess the canister will dry out as long as I stop filling it up to much. I haven't filled it up since I replaced the part, tanks still full.

Incorrect info.....read my posts on this topic....Overfilling or topping off is not saturating the cannister...You can take the cannister apart and see for yourself......The gas is damaging the soleonoid just enough to not send the correct voltage reading back to your truck's computer, thus throwing the P0449 code. The soleonoid is actually still operating just fine when this happens, but the gasoline is messing up the electrical voltage the computer is reading, and using it as a measurement to whether the part is functioning correctly....Drying it out will not help, as it permenatly damages the solenoid as far as the electric current going through it, and back to the computer.....

You can fill your tank up, just stop after the first time the gas nozzle shuts off....Dont try to squeeze that extra little bit into the tank to get to the next even dollar, as this is where the problem starts......When the nozzle clicks off, tank is full........Hang up the hose, and go on your way......trying to put more in, will send gas into the hose, and onto the solenoid, and short it out again......

Incorrect info.....read my posts on this topic....Overfilling or topping off is not saturating the cannister...You can take the cannister apart and see for yourself......The gas is damaging the soleonoid just enough to not send the correct voltage reading back to your truck's computer, thus throwing the P0449 code. The soleonoid is actually still operating just fine when this happens, but the gasoline is messing up the electrical voltage the computer is reading, and using it as a measurement to whether the part is functioning correctly....Drying it out will not help, as it permenatly damages the solenoid as far as the electric current going through it, and back to the computer.....

You can fill your tank up, just stop after the first time the gas nozzle shuts off....Dont try to squeeze that extra little bit into the tank to get to the next even dollar, as this is where the problem starts......When the nozzle clicks off, tank is full........Hang up the hose, and go on your way......trying to put more in, will send gas into the hose, and onto the solenoid, and short it out again......

Who has incorrect info? Overfilling does saturate the canister I have cut open plenty of them.

Gas cannot possibly effect the electrical feed back of the vent circuit, the two are isolated. He was told that there is an electrical issue and is most likely the valve, not that the canister is the issue. Read it then read it again, you have a pretty good grip on the issue but not good enough to call me out as wrong.

Something to give, and something to ask...

I have an '07 Silverado Crew Cab 4x4 LTZ, and I need to replace the EVAP vent valve because it has two cracks in the plastic canister and my 'Check Engine' light remains on as a result.

My Give: The Silverado GM part was $216 CDN to buy, but I received a hint from a local GM Tech that I could get away with using the same part for a 2006 Chevy Aveo, which only costs about $32 CDN. At my local GM dealer the parts manager and I examined new replacement parts for my Silverado and an '06 Aveo side-by-aide and they seems to be very similar (the ID stamping on the bottom of both canisters is the same and the mounting bracket of the Aveo part seems to fit fine). So, if I can get the Aveo part installed and working, I'm hoping this information may be an option for many out there to save a few dollars.

My Ask: I'm all set to try installing the Aveo replacement part, but I can't get the two hoses off the existing broken canister (one hose is smooth, short, rather rigid and comes from a box located a foot or so behind the vent canister, and the other hose is ribbed and seems quite thin and flexible, and it runs up toward the engine). I would greatly appreciate advice/instructions on how to get the two hoses off, and then back on to the new part such that I can complete the replacement and see if the Aveo unit actually does the job.

Many thanks in advance to all who weigh-in on this.

***IMPORTANT INFORMATION YOU MUST READ*****

Ok everyone, listen up....If you have a 04 and newer silverado, with a failed evap vent solenoid, you have to read this info. Do not pay $100+ for this part(actually $150.00 at the dealer). The following part numbers associated with this part have been gm#19207763,19152349, and AC DELCO #'s 214-2082 costing over $100.00 for the modified part. This is for the modified part, with the relocation of the filterbox, and the added hose that seperates the two. No one at Gm will tell you this, but this same part, that was origionally on your silverado, is also used in the 2006 Suburban. It will be an identical replacement for what is ON YOUR TRUCK, and the cost is $24.04 AT THE DEALER. I know this because I own a 2006 silverado, and a 2006 suburban. Looked at the suburban when the part went bad on the silverado(from overfilling the tank)and bingo, same part. Ask a parts person at GM, and they will tell you otherwise, but they are lying to you. Bought the suburban part today part # 25932571 (GM #) and everything is identical, right down to the numbers stamped on the part itself. Took the part off my silverado, put the replacement on (which gm told me is not the right part), cleared the codes, and bingo no more light after 3 consecutive starts...... Why, is it that GM feels we need to pay the price for something they did wrong???? And moreso, lie to us, telling us the $150.00 part is our only choice to fix the problem. My truck went 40K miles with the origional part, and probably only went bad because of my own stupidity in overfilling the tank, whay would I not just want to spend $24.00 to put on the same part, that will probably go the rest of the life of the truck with no tank overfills???? I say CLASS ACTION LAWSUIT FOR EVERYONE THAT HAS BEEN SCAMMED INTO PAYING THE RIDICULOUS PRICE that GM is trying to suck out of us.....Please pass this on to the world, and every forum you can...Get the word out....Let the parts people at GM know we are on to their BS, and they can't take advantage of us like they have.....

I just wanted to say that when my evap solenoid (p0449) went bad I found this very post, and I am so thankful that I did. I went to my stealership handed the attendant a paper with the part number you mentioned. He ofcourse tried to sell me the $150.00 kit, but I declined. Changed the part and saved myself $120.00. :) Hopefully that will cover the ticket I got for out of date inspection. :)

Ok everyone, listen up....If you have a 04 and newer silverado, with a failed evap vent solenoid, you have to read this info. Do not pay $100+ for this part(actually $150.00 at the dealer). The following part numbers associated with this part have been gm#19207763,19152349, and AC DELCO #'s 214-2082 costing over $100.00 for the modified part. This is for the modified part, with the relocation of the filterbox, and the added hose that seperates the two. No one at Gm will tell you this, but this same part, that was origionally on your silverado, is also used in the 2006 Suburban. It will be an identical replacement for what is ON YOUR TRUCK, and the cost is $24.04 AT THE DEALER. I know this because I own a 2006 silverado, and a 2006 suburban. Looked at the suburban when the part went bad on the silverado(from overfilling the tank)and bingo, same part. Ask a parts person at GM, and they will tell you otherwise, but they are lying to you. Bought the suburban part today part # 25932571 (GM #) and everything is identical, right down to the numbers stamped on the part itself. Took the part off my silverado, put the replacement on (which gm told me is not the right part), cleared the codes, and bingo no more light after 3 consecutive starts...... Why, is it that GM feels we need to pay the price for something they did wrong???? And moreso, lie to us, telling us the $150.00 part is our only choice to fix the problem. My truck went 40K miles with the origional part, and probably only went bad because of my own stupidity in overfilling the tank, whay would I not just want to spend $24.00 to put on the same part, that will probably go the rest of the life of the truck with no tank overfills???? I say CLASS ACTION LAWSUIT FOR EVERYONE THAT HAS BEEN SCAMMED INTO PAYING THE RIDICULOUS PRICE that GM is trying to suck out of us.....Please pass this on to the world, and every forum you can...Get the word out....Let the parts people at GM know we are on to their BS, and they can't take advantage of us like they have.....

I just wanted to say that when my evap solenoid (p0449) went bad I found this very post, and I am so thankful that I did. I went to my stealership handed the attendant a paper with the part number you mentioned. He ofcourse tried to sell me the $150.00 kit, but I declined. Changed the part and saved myself $120.00. :lol: Hopefully that will cover the ticket I got for out of date inspection. :lol:

I only have 2 problems with this. 1 They are not lying when they tell you that at the dealer. They look up the part for the vehicle that you ask for and that is the one that comes up. The parts guy has no way of knowing the difference between the parts weather they are the same or different. 2 valves don't fail from overfilling, canisters do which can kill a valve but if the canister wasn't garbage too then the valve failed from another reason. The most common reason for them to fail is placement. GM only lists the re-located version because if it fails due to location in a year they have to warranty the part.

That said I would use the old part and take my chances. BUT if it failed I wouldn't expect them to pay for another one.

I got mine from RockAuto.com for $27 delivered to my door. Mine is a 2006 1500E/C 5.3L....I ordered AC Delco P/N 214-2149....some 5/8 heater hose, 2 clamps, 20 minutes of work and she's all fixed. The A/C Delco P/N 214-2149 they told me was for the 3500, not listed for the 1500, but it did fit and work fine.

OLD

DSCN1470.jpg

NEW

DSCN1469.jpg

I am getting the error code P0449 so I changed out the gas cap and the evap vent valve (acdelco part #214-2149 that i got at the motor parts in town for $20) and the light is still on. i have ran the truck for about 50 mile and it didn't reset. should i take it to see what is wrong now or should i have them reset the light???? Please help.

Never mind after about 62 miles the light went off by itself. And my truck passed inspection for the State of Texas. That part did help out, now I know what to do if it ever goes bad again or if I ever get the P0449 Code again. Thanks everyone.

Edited by nickles only

Glad to see that someone may have already found a solution to this problem. I have a 2003 Silverado. I too am guilty of "topping-off". I'm getting both PO449 and PO455 codes. How do I ensure I'm getting the right part? I'd obviously like to get the $24 version since the dealer just told me it's $80 to scan it and then depending on the issue up to $500 to fix it. Please let me know if you need further information. The difference here is that you have a 2006 and I have a 2003. My GM part number is: 19152345. The AC Delco one you mention doesn't list this part number. I just need to figure out what the Suburban version of mine is. Thanks in advance, Brian

I bought the $24 part at Discount Auto parts and replaced it myself. Took about 20 minutes. Then had the codes removed at Discount Auto parts. It has been over 6 months and no more P0449 code.

I have 04 Silverado. The gas cap warning keeps coming on and the light turns on and off every other day. Gonna go down to Advance and see WTF is the prob. I think the sensor is slowly crapping itself. Went thru 2 gas caps. The first one worked for 3 months and then the light came back on. It stripped out and I replaced it again but the light is steady now. I will post what I find!!