Evap Vent Valve Location

nharrel

Question

133 answers to this question

I have a 2005 Suburban, took to dealer they said Vent Valve was the issue for check engine

light. Parts and Labor 300.00 with the part being 190.00. I opted not to have them do this repair

as I wanted a second opinion. They didnt give me the code just said vent valve, is this the same

as "Evap Vent Valve" ? Would this cause hard starting? It takes 2 turns of the key to get it to

start most times. this started heppening about 2 months before check engine light came on. No

other side affects, runs like a champ once started.

I have a 2005 Suburban, took to dealer they said Vent Valve was the issue for check engine

light. Parts and Labor 300.00 with the part being 190.00. I opted not to have them do this repair

as I wanted a second opinion. They didnt give me the code just said vent valve, is this the same

as "Evap Vent Valve" ? Would this cause hard starting? It takes 2 turns of the key to get it to

start most times. this started heppening about 2 months before check engine light came on. No

other side affects, runs like a champ once started.

"I had the P0449 code, and ordered p/n 214-2149 from rock auto. Replaced it, code went away after a day. Wanted to let everyone know that that part works for the 4.3L V6 engine."

I cut & pasted the above from another poster.. I did the same as above and thanks to the guys here, fixed it myself in 15 minutes..

Have 2008 5.3L GMC C1500 with the CEL 449 and 445 codes.

Followed the instructions in this thread and it is fixed.

Thanks guys, you saved me a bundle.

My details are:

Went to Advance Auto and ordered the 214-2149 Part for $22.69. They show a 214-2142 for the 08 model that I never tried. It may be a more direct fit/replacement. Don't know and Don't care anymore.

The original EVAP vent solenoid was smaller and had two ports. One going to the canistor and one going up next to the tranny with an open end on it. I assume it was trying to get fresh dry air from up there.

The 214-2149 part only had the one port. I had to cut the solid plastic hose off of the original as I could not get it off even with soapy water. Only cut a few inches off, just past the nipple of the original assy as to save as much of the original hard plastic hose as possible. You could probably replace the entire hard plastic hose but it is shaped in and "S" and the heater hose would probably fold shut on you, if not at first after time for sure. Installed about 2 or 3 inches of heater hose to connect the original solid plastic hose to the new solenoid. New solenoid slid into the same original bracket and I took the fresh air hose that goes up by tranny and just zip tied it up out of the way. Just in case I need it in the future. The electrical conection was identical and pluged straight in without any modification. As to the location on an 08. Mine was located in the 2B position as per the diragram earlier on in this thread. Just in front of the fuel tank on the left side of the truck.

Hope this helps someone else tackle this job.

Now that I have money left over for beer I think I will have some.

Elbo out.

Edited by Elboman

Just wanted to post and say "Thanks" to odayflor and everyone who contributed info on the repair for code po449, at least it did work for my truck!!

I went to my local Advance Auto Parts and bought the AC Delco part # 214-2149 which is the same exact part that was originally on my '06 1500 crewcab!

Cost for the solenoid was $23, plus the piece of heater hose & 2 clamps.

Guess I'm curious as to why GM wants to "update" with remote filter, what is the advantage of it?

Funny thing too, after completing the swap of the solenoid, started up the truck, rolled it down the ramps , let it run for a few minutes to move the ramps out of the way and got back into the truck to park it, the engine light was off and has been ever since!!

Again, thanks for the help!! :lol:

Just wanted to post and say "Thanks" to odayflor and everyone who contributed info on the repair for code po449, at least it did work for my truck!!

I went to my local Advance Auto Parts and bought the AC Delco part # 214-2149 which is the same exact part that was originally on my '06 1500 crewcab!

Cost for the solenoid was $23, plus the piece of heater hose & 2 clamps.

Guess I'm curious as to why GM wants to "update" with remote filter, what is the advantage of it?

Funny thing too, after completing the swap of the solenoid, started up the truck, rolled it down the ramps , let it run for a few minutes to move the ramps out of the way and got back into the truck to park it, the engine light was off and has been ever since!!

Again, thanks for the help!! :rolleyes:

It relocates the filter above the transmission, so it is less likely to have a dirt problem and plug up again

Dang I wish I had found this forum sooner. I had the same problem with my truck just a few months ago. According to the dealer, the "technician" told me the vent valve was stuck open and "fried" my PCM, even though truck ran just fine, just had the idiot engine light was on. Fortunately my extended warranty covered the PCM replacement ($700+) but still had to dish out $300+ for the valve replacement. They then told me about the fix by installing a resdesigned valve & relocation. If I had known it was so easy/cheap I would have done it myself. Oh well, lesson learned. All though the gas cap was indeed one of the problems since the o-ring wasn't seating properly anymore...but I knew better than pay dealer prices for that part.

***IMPORTANT INFORMATION YOU MUST READ*****

Ok everyone, listen up....If you have a 04 and newer silverado, with a failed evap vent solenoid, you have to read this info. Do not pay $100+ for this part(actually $150.00 at the dealer). The following part numbers associated with this part have been gm#19207763,19152349, and AC DELCO #'s 214-2082 costing over $100.00 for the modified part. This is for the modified part, with the relocation of the filterbox, and the added hose that seperates the two. No one at Gm will tell you this, but this same part, that was origionally on your silverado, is also used in the 2006 Suburban. It will be an identical replacement for what is ON YOUR TRUCK, and the cost is $24.04 AT THE DEALER. I know this because I own a 2006 silverado, and a 2006 suburban. Looked at the suburban when the part went bad on the silverado(from overfilling the tank)and bingo, same part. Ask a parts person at GM, and they will tell you otherwise, but they are lying to you. Bought the suburban part today part # 25932571 (GM #) and everything is identical, right down to the numbers stamped on the part itself. Took the part off my silverado, put the replacement on (which gm told me is not the right part), cleared the codes, and bingo no more light after 3 consecutive starts...... Why, is it that GM feels we need to pay the price for something they did wrong???? And moreso, lie to us, telling us the $150.00 part is our only choice to fix the problem. My truck went 40K miles with the origional part, and probably only went bad because of my own stupidity in overfilling the tank, whay would I not just want to spend $24.00 to put on the same part, that will probably go the rest of the life of the truck with no tank overfills???? I say CLASS ACTION LAWSUIT FOR EVERYONE THAT HAS BEEN SCAMMED INTO PAYING THE RIDICULOUS PRICE that GM is trying to suck out of us.....Please pass this on to the world, and every forum you can...Get the word out....Let the parts people at GM know we are on to their BS, and they can't take advantage of us like they have.....

Glad to see that someone may have already found a solution to this problem. I have a 2003 Silverado. I too am guilty of "topping-off". I'm getting both PO449 and PO455 codes. How do I ensure I'm getting the right part? I'd obviously like to get the $24 version since the dealer just told me it's $80 to scan it and then depending on the issue up to $500 to fix it. Please let me know if you need further information. The difference here is that you have a 2006 and I have a 2003. My GM part number is: 19152345. The AC Delco one you mention doesn't list this part number. I just need to figure out what the Suburban version of mine is. Thanks in advance, Brian

***IMPORTANT INFORMATION YOU MUST READ*****

Ok everyone, listen up....If you have a 04 and newer silverado, with a failed evap vent solenoid, you have to read this info. Do not pay $100+ for this part(actually $150.00 at the dealer). The following part numbers associated with this part have been gm#19207763,19152349, and AC DELCO #'s 214-2082 costing over $100.00 for the modified part. This is for the modified part, with the relocation of the filterbox, and the added hose that seperates the two. No one at Gm will tell you this, but this same part, that was origionally on your silverado, is also used in the 2006 Suburban. It will be an identical replacement for what is ON YOUR TRUCK, and the cost is $24.04 AT THE DEALER. I know this because I own a 2006 silverado, and a 2006 suburban. Looked at the suburban when the part went bad on the silverado(from overfilling the tank)and bingo, same part. Ask a parts person at GM, and they will tell you otherwise, but they are lying to you. Bought the suburban part today part # 25932571 (GM #) and everything is identical, right down to the numbers stamped on the part itself. Took the part off my silverado, put the replacement on (which gm told me is not the right part), cleared the codes, and bingo no more light after 3 consecutive starts...... Why, is it that GM feels we need to pay the price for something they did wrong???? And moreso, lie to us, telling us the $150.00 part is our only choice to fix the problem. My truck went 40K miles with the origional part, and probably only went bad because of my own stupidity in overfilling the tank, whay would I not just want to spend $24.00 to put on the same part, that will probably go the rest of the life of the truck with no tank overfills???? I say CLASS ACTION LAWSUIT FOR EVERYONE THAT HAS BEEN SCAMMED INTO PAYING THE RIDICULOUS PRICE that GM is trying to suck out of us.....Please pass this on to the world, and every forum you can...Get the word out....Let the parts people at GM know we are on to their BS, and they can't take advantage of us like they have.....

Glad to see that someone may have already found a solution to this problem. I have a 2003 Silverado. I too am guilty of "topping-off". I'm getting both PO449 and PO455 codes. How do I ensure I'm getting the right part? I'd obviously like to get the $24 version since the dealer just told me it's $80 to scan it and then depending on the issue up to $500 to fix it. Please let me know if you need further information. The difference here is that you have a 2006 and I have a 2003. My GM part number is: 19152345. The AC Delco one you mention doesn't list this part number. I just need to figure out what the Suburban version of mine is. Thanks in advance, Brian

My check engine light just went on as well on my 2003 silverado 1500. Took it to the dealer and it gave the code 130214 evap vent valve plugged. They wanted to charge me 500 to fix. After reading all the input it sounds like something I can do myself with out spending the 500 but need more info. Can any of you guys that have done this run me thru the process.

Thanks