Evap Vent Valve Location

nharrel

Question

133 answers to this question

Ok, its been a couple of weeks since i ordered the part and installed it. It took about 10 to 15 minutes to cut the old one off use some heater hose to bridge the old hose to the new valve and then clear the code. The code came back almost immediately but went back off the next day and has not returned. So I am calling my truck FIXED!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks guy's!

Very helpful article. Having very little luck locating the EVAP vent solenoid for a 2007 Tahoe, once I started looking for parts for a 2006 Tahoe, everything started to get a little easier. I purchased the purge vent as well (which is on the top-left side of the engine attached to a bracket along-side the intake manifold and behind the alternator), but that was not the problem. And, it wasn't the gas cap (which I replaced also). Turns out it was the vent solenoid. Checked it with an OHM meter and it was reading open. Found a vent solenoid for a 2006 Tahoe (ACDelco 214-2149) at local Chevy Dealer. There is a slight difference in the assemble from that of what was on my 2007. The solenoid part was the same, but the filter chamber was slightly different. The filter assembly on my 2007 Tahoe had a hose outlet connection with a vent hose that ran up into the fender behind the gas cap. The 2006 assemble did not have the hose connection. Long story short - the solenoid and the filter parts were interchangeable and I took the new solenoid and mated it with the old filter chamber and that was that. I could not get the hose off of the old solenoid that runs to the vapor canister. So, I cut the end of off and spliced things together with 5/8" heater hose and some clamps. I saved a lot of money doing this myself but it did take me a long time counting all the research and searching for the right parts. Hopefully there won't be a next time but if it is, it won't take near as long. After all said and done, we sometimes say, "after all that, I should've taken it to the dealer." As I get older, I hate working on vehicles more-and-more. I've always owned Chevy's....I don't know why, because it seems being worked on all the time seems normal. I never really realized how much I work on cars until my daughter purchased a Honda and all she does is drive it...Nothing ever goes wrong with that thing. Anyway, I digress.

I will add from my observations while lying on my back underneath the truck....I see no way that overfilling the gas can damage the vent solenoid as some folks have claimed. In order for that to happen, gas would have to go thru the canister to get to the solenoid valve. If that actually happened, I would think you'd have other problems.

Thanks everyone for all your help.

***IMPORTANT INFORMATION YOU MUST READ*****

Ok everyone, listen up....If you have a 04 and newer silverado, with a failed evap vent solenoid, you have to read this info. Do not pay $100+ for this part(actually $150.00 at the dealer). The following part numbers associated with this part have been gm#19207763,19152349, and AC DELCO #'s 214-2082 costing over $100.00 for the modified part. This is for the modified part, with the relocation of the filterbox, and the added hose that seperates the two. No one at Gm will tell you this, but this same part, that was origionally on your silverado, is also used in the 2006 Suburban. It will be an identical replacement for what is ON YOUR TRUCK, and the cost is $24.04 AT THE DEALER. I know this because I own a 2006 silverado, and a 2006 suburban. Looked at the suburban when the part went bad on the silverado(from overfilling the tank)and bingo, same part. Ask a parts person at GM, and they will tell you otherwise, but they are lying to you. Bought the suburban part today part # 25932571 (GM #) and everything is identical, right down to the numbers stamped on the part itself. Took the part off my silverado, put the replacement on (which gm told me is not the right part), cleared the codes, and bingo no more light after 3 consecutive starts...... Why, is it that GM feels we need to pay the price for something they did wrong???? And moreso, lie to us, telling us the $150.00 part is our only choice to fix the problem. My truck went 40K miles with the origional part, and probably only went bad because of my own stupidity in overfilling the tank, whay would I not just want to spend $24.00 to put on the same part, that will probably go the rest of the life of the truck with no tank overfills???? I say CLASS ACTION LAWSUIT FOR EVERYONE THAT HAS BEEN SCAMMED INTO PAYING THE RIDICULOUS PRICE that GM is trying to suck out of us.....Please pass this on to the world, and every forum you can...Get the word out....Let the parts people at GM know we are on to their BS, and they can't take advantage of us like they have.....

Glad to see that someone may have already found a solution to this problem. I have a 2003 Silverado. I too am guilty of "topping-off". I'm getting both PO449 and PO455 codes. How do I ensure I'm getting the right part? I'd obviously like to get the $24 version since the dealer just told me it's $80 to scan it and then depending on the issue up to $500 to fix it. Please let me know if you need further information. The difference here is that you have a 2006 and I have a 2003. My GM part number is: 19152345. The AC Delco one you mention doesn't list this part number. I just need to figure out what the Suburban version of mine is. Thanks in advance, Brian

can sameone told me if this part for suburban 2006 is good for a silverado 2005?

my part number GM is 19207763 ( i can't find it when i search for suburban 2006)

Will this part fit on an 09 1500? My truck has 40k miles, and is out of warranty, so so if this part will work...I'll be a happy guy. Got the P0449 code yesterday, cleared it, and it came right back on the first start up.

Will this part fit on an 09 1500? My truck has 40k miles, and is out of warranty, so so if this part will work...I'll be a happy guy. Got the P0449 code yesterday, cleared it, and it came right back on the first start up.

I just put the 214-2149 on my 07 Sierra (new body). It also has 40k on it. $31 all in. I bought 3' of 5/8 heater hose and had 18" left over. Cleared the code with a code reader, and so far it has stayed off. You will just need to find the right curve for the hose. Any repair that I can do with a screwdriver and a knife is for me.

I just put the 214-2149 on my 07 Sierra (new body). It also has 40k on it. $31 all in. I bought 3' of 5/8 heater hose and had 18" left over. Cleared the code with a code reader, and so far it has stayed off. You will just need to find the right curve for the hose. Any repair that I can do with a screwdriver and a knife is for me.

Thanks Macdanny....I had forgotten about this for the past week as I have been riding the motorcycle into work...took the truck today and was greeted with the MIL lamp. Hope to fix this soon.

I have the same issue on my '08 now. The part number calls for the entire kit, solenoid and vent and I only need the solenoid. My part has two hose connections, one from the canister and 1 to the vent. It looks like this part you mention only has one outlet is that correct? My part is $86 at Rock Auto, this other part is less than $20 and I'd like to go that route if possible.

I have the same issue on my '08 now. The part number calls for the entire kit, solenoid and vent and I only need the solenoid. My part has two hose connections, one from the canister and 1 to the vent. It looks like this part you mention only has one outlet is that correct? My part is $86 at Rock Auto, this other part is less than $20 and I'd like to go that route if possible.

Ok, I got my part at the dealer. For the NBS, mine is an '08, it is 214-2236 and cost me about $30. I got a couple feet of 5/8 heater hose and some clamps and you can see what I did below in the pics. The reason for doing this is that you have to cut the OE lines (plastic) to get the old part out. IMG_4084.jpgIMG_4085.jpg

My son's went out just before mine in his 03 GMC Sierra; $427 @ dealership. Because of his cost, I was expecting this to be a MAJOR deal, especially for someone laying on their back in the carport.

Not so.

What a rip off.

AC Delco #214-2149, 4' of 5/8" heater hose, and 2 hose clamps worked for my 2003 Silverado, and I ain't much of a mechanic at all.

Total cost: around $35.00.

Thanks for this thread.

Rick

I got the code on my truck, went to the dealer and got part number 25932571 to see if I could fix it. Replaced the part and erased the code. It has been out for two days now. Only time will tell, but I am pretty confident that it will stay out. (Tested by putting this part in, driving the truck and cycling starts. Then placed the old part back and did the same thing. Old part threw the code, new part did not.)

I was able to reuse the same hose. If your hose is not brittle, cut the plastic fitting where the solenoid is and then pull it out of the hose, used a bit of heat from a heat gun, make sure not the heat to much as you can melt the hose. Then place the hose on the new part and put a bit of silicone on it.

It is very easy. on my 07 silverado ext cab. it is under the driver side bed. right in front of the gas tank. the part i got was from NAPA the part # is (2-282567) its like 23.00$.. BUT the part from NAPA only has one port on it. all you have to do is take the solenoid. off the evap can and put it on the old canister. and what everyone is saying about the hose not coming off is TRUE its some tuff hose. just cut the old hose on the (S) side youll see what I mean.. cut right at the evap can port... (as close to the can as possible). so you can slip the 5/8 hose over the rest of the (S) tube. the other hose which looks like an accordian WILL come off.. (DONT CUT IT) The electrical plug just snaps back into the new sensor. also the new sensor has the same frame clip. to re-mount. I have pics just hae to shrink them to fit the web. the entire swap took 25min.

I cant see the image, On my truck the valve was infront of the tank right on the frame rail. There is a hose the goes from the solenoid to the canister, then to the tank. Not sure if it matters year to year, but I think the one that you are referring to is the tank pressure sensor that is ontop of the tank.

Also the code has not been set as of yet.

Edited by hrspwr

Can someone tell me the part i need for a 2007 Silverado, 4WD Crew Cab? I ordered what i thought was the correct part....AC Delco 214-2149 and it only had one port whereas the one i have on the truck now has two and is slightly smaller. I'm not very mechanically inclined but can change this out once i know i have the correct part to work with. thanks much. great site and info here.

Can someone tell me the part i need for a 2007 Silverado, 4WD Crew Cab? I ordered what i thought was the correct part....AC Delco 214-2149 and it only had one port whereas the one i have on the truck now has two and is slightly smaller. I'm not very mechanically inclined but can change this out once i know i have the correct part to work with. thanks much. great site and info here.

Mike,

The part you ordered will work fine, just did the same to my 07. I just zip tied the breather hose out of the way. Started the truck up, cleared the code and so far so good. You only need the part, hose, two hose clamps a screwdriver and a knife or razor. It took all of ten minutes.

Gil

post-103799-1319824753_thumb.jpg

post-103799-1319824837_thumb.jpg