2009 Gmc 4speed Vs 6speed Fueleconomy

These are supposed to be more accurate that GM's numbers (aka - real world tests)

There are no options to select cab configurations.

www.fueleconomy.gov

2009 Gmc Sierra XFE 2WD

5.3 6 speed E85 City: 15 Hwy: 21 Combined: 17

2009 Gmc Sierra Hybrid 4WD

6.0 4 speed Hybrid City: 20 Hwy: 20 Combined: 20

2009 Gmc Sierra 4WD

4.3 4 speed non-E85 City: 14 Hwy: 18 Combined: 15

4.8 4 speed non-E85 City: 14 Hwy: 18 Combined: 15

5.3 4 speed non-E85 City: 14 Hwy: 19 Combined: 16

5.3 6 speed non-E85 City: 14 Hwy: 20 Combined: 16

6.0 6 speed non E85 City: 13 Hwy: 18 Combined: 14

6.2 6 speed E85 4WD City:12 Hwy: 19 Combined: 14

6.2 6 speed E85 AWD City:12 Hwy: 19 Combined: 14

Hmmm, So the 6.2 gets better hwy mpg than the 6.0?

They didn't list any difference between the E85 and non-E85 engines except the low mpgs of using E85.

I thought about this real hard before buying an 08 versus an 09. The fuel economy website does not separate cab configurations either to ensure equal comparisons. That's why I used the Avalanche as the benchmark for 5.3 4spd versus 5.3 6spd and saw that waiting for the 6spd had no real value based on efficiency. There might be an argument for durability versus the 4L60 but I decided the rebates on 08's were more than enough to mitigate that risk so I bought an 08.

2009 Gmc Sierra 4WD

These are supposed to be more accurate that GM's numbers (aka - real world tests)

www.fueleconomy.gov

6.2 6 speed E85 4WD City: 12 Hwy: 19 Combined: 14

6.2 6 speed E85 AWD City: 12 Hwy: 19 Combined: 14

They didn't list any difference between the E85 and non-E85 engines except the low mpgs of using E85.

Doesn't the 6.2 have VVT now? That would explain the better highway mileage.

2009 Gmc Sierra 4WD

www.fueleconomy.gov

6.2 6 speed E85 4WD City: 12 Hwy: 19 Combined: 14

6.2 6 speed E85 AWD City: 12 Hwy: 19 Combined: 14

Doesn't the 6.2 have VVT now? That would explain the better highway mileage.

As far as I know the 6.2 has always had VVT.

If you buy the Silverado EFX (extra fuel economy)the fuel economy is 15 cty & 21 hwyand still tow 7000lbs should be available now at your friendly dealer. .

EFX? What does it have in it 2.00 rear end gearing or something?

Honda used to do that kind of thing. Strip them down and lighten them up, put 2.5 mph bumpers instead of 5

XFE = (Xtra Fuel Economy aka Sky is Falling Marketing Campaign.)

It is only available in 2WD with a tall rear end gear ratio, 6 speed tranny, has special "low rolling resistance tires" (aka Cheap low load duty highway tires), They also lowered the front of the truck and changed the air dam or something along those lines to improve aerodynamics a bit and it comes standard with the tailgate air spoiler thingy. And the driver must weigh less than 90 lbs or you will not reach the rated mpgs. :cheers:

The 6.0 & 6.2 have always had VVT. The 6.2 wasn't E85 compatible until 2009 (if thats correct). I'm not a big fan of E85, yes it costs less but you also get less mpg which costs you the same (or more) $$$ as just filling up with petrol. Another bonus to E85 is it drives up the cost of corn products which leads to people starving in mexico.

Yes we need to find alternative fuel but i'm not too impressed as of yet.

The Hybrid version is paired with the 6.0 and a 4speed (i believe) auto with an electric motor (to put it simply) which will power the vehicle up to 30mph.

Thats pretty interesting stuff. Thanks for the info.

Some verification for what many suspected all the way along: The 6 speed is a little better with fuel economy and not a LOT better. Good Find :cheers:

Thanks, I need something to keep me busy until i can find a good deal on an 08 Denali or until the 09 Sierra's go on sale here in AZ. My target price for a fully loaded crew Sierra 4WD 6.0/6.2 is 27 - 30k?

*** Updated original post with V-6 engines & Hybrid mpgs. ***

Whats strikes me as odd, is that we have 4 of the GMT900 AWD Escalades in the company corp fleet, and they have been getting better mileage than my 5.3 4 speed suburban, I get about 16 at best on the hyway, the Cadi's have been seeing 18 hwy on many ocasions. This whole GOV rating deal seems fishy to me. I will hold out to see what the real world owners of the 6 speeds have to report, about there mileage before passing judgment on the new 6 speeds as only being worth 1mpg.

Whats strikes me as odd, is that we have 4 of the GMT900 AWD Escalades in the company corp fleet, and they have been getting better mileage than my 5.3 4 speed suburban, I get about 16 at best on the hyway, the Cadi's have been seeing 18 hwy on many ocasions. This whole GOV rating deal seems fishy to me. I will hold out to see what the real world owners of the 6 speeds have to report, about there mileage before passing judgment on the new 6 speeds as only being worth 1mpg.

From reading owners reports on their mps on this site:

The bigger the engine the better the hwy mpgs? It seems the 5.3 does better than the v6 and the 6.0 and 6.2 do the same or better than the 5.3 at cruzing speeds. Not trying to start a war :fume: just what i have observed on this forum. If you dont agree then it is my way of talking myself into a 6.0 or 6.2 :lol:

The gen IV small block 6.0 & 6.2 have always had VVT.

There, I fixed it for you. The Gen III small block did not have VVT. :cheers:

From reading previous owners reports on their mps on this site:

The bigger the engine the better the hwy mpgs? It seems the 5.3 does better than the v6 and the 6.0 and 6.2 do the same or better than the 5.3 at cruzing speeds. Not trying to start a war :cheers: just what i have observed on this forum. If you dont agree then it is my way of talking myself into a 6.0 or 6.2 :fume:

Makes sense to me, the larger engine has to do less work to maintain the same vehicle speed as the smaller engine.

Archived