Can't Lift A Denali?

Another lesson:

Went to the GMC web site.

No mention of autotrac for the Denali! It's there on the various 1500 models, but not a whisper of it on the Denali site! Apparently since the AWD transfer case is always in 4wd, there is no autotrac feature for the D.

So, if Stabilitrac has control of the brakes to pulse them as necessary to control slides, what is the electric strut called? Also a part of stabilitrac???

When I talked to the engineer at Fabtech and BDS, they said Autotrac was the big bad wolf as far as making this kit work/not work.

Since we have a member here who has taken the bold step of actually bolting the BDS kit on, we know it fits. And we know that it only takes a dual cardan driveshaft to get rid of vibration. That means for all four people in the US of A who are going to lift a Denali, that it is possible, and indeed feasible!

Thanks for the emails, PM's, and calls which has made this thread possible!

Another lesson:

Went to the GMC web site.

No mention of autotrac for the Denali! It's there on the various 1500 models, but not a whisper of it on the Denali site! Apparently since the AWD transfer case is always in 4wd, there is no autotrac feature for the D.

So, if Stabilitrac has control of the brakes to pulse them as necessary to control slides, what is the electric strut called? Also a part of stabilitrac???

When I talked to the engineer at Fabtech and BDS, they said Autotrac was the big bad wolf as far as making this kit work/not work.

Since we have a member here who has taken the bold step of actually bolting the BDS kit on, we know it fits. And we know that it only takes a dual cardan driveshaft to get rid of vibration. That means for all four people in the US of A who are going to lift a Denali, that it is possible, and indeed feasible!

Thanks for the emails, PM's, and calls which has made this thread possible!

Not an expert here, but I think the problem with the lift is the autoride, not autotrac. Autoride involves electronically controlled shocks and struts which are a problem that would have to be dealt with on a lift. You are correct that your Denali would not have autotrac.

Glad you got it alllll figured out. Got any pics of that 01 Tundra?

Here's a couple...

Now you know why I can't stand the low rider look!

Yes, now I do. That Tundra is SWEEEET!!!

Thanks, I like it too

However...

I have sort of moved from the radical crawling scene to the "more comfortable" off roading scene. (Witness the H2) Now I have the Denali for everyday driving which means the H2 can get a set of aggressive tires and fill my need for off roading.

All that translates to, the Tunrra no longer has a use in my household. Worse yet, my 16 yr old daughter wants to drive it (Tundra) very badly. Knowing she will shortly roll it over and possibly injure her, the wife and I decided he Tundra is going to a new home. We Ebayed it but it failed to meet the 15K minimum I put on it, so it is still at home, but we will eventually sell it, and live with the H2, the Denali, and the Suburban.

OK guys...I haven't been to the site in some time, but got a PM email from Don (flyin6) about my lifted 08 Denali nd decided to get back on this Forum to see what was happening.

Had I read all of this confusion / doubt about lifting the new Denali...I think I would have been scared out of my mind to do / try it! But, luckily when I decided to do it, there wasn't all this doubt out there! :cheers:

I literally stopped at a local mod shop and told him I wanted to put a 6" lift, wheels and tires on my 08 AWD Denali. He looked it over, caleld BDS and had a kit for it 3 days later. Installed it, I took it home and had a few issues with it and took it back in to rememdy. The biggest issue I had was with a howling / grinding noise in the front-end when I let off the acceleration (ie. cruise set at 80mph, tap the brake and it would growl until I got back on the gaes). After visitng with BDS tech, we determined that it was excess chatter in the front driveshaft due to modified driveline angle from lift and could / should be corrected with fabrication / installation of a new dual cardan setup.

So, I had a dual cardan driveshaft made, installed and SHAZAAM! Problem solved. No vibrations, no growling / grinding / howling...just a bad-ass lifted truck! It is slightly rougher riding...but then again...I didn't expect it to ride like a Cadillac with those mods! I recently took it on an 800 mile trip with 3 of my buddies and they were AMAZED at how nice it rode, how quiet it was and the 19 - 21 mpg average it got on the trip.

I have lost a little power by adding the larger tires (way heavier than stock setup)...but it still goes like a raped-ape when I need it to. With over 400hp stock, there is plenty of power when needed. I plan on doing a tune and programmer which will help get soem of that "stock" power back.

Sorry, I got a little sidetracked from the subject at hand here. As far as these lift comapnies saying it can't be done (lifting an AWD Denali)...then, how the hell is mine functioning with virtually NO issues!? I was in contact with a tech at BDS a dozen times in regards to my project and he NEVER ONCE told me I shouldn't / couldn't do it!? So, I guess I have to keep my fingers crossed that I didn't do something stupid and screw up a $50,000 truck by doing it huh!

Here's a little "proof" that the BDS setup can / is installed on an 08 Denali AWD:

post-45300-1223047415_thumb.jpgpost-45300-1223047515_thumb.jpg

post-45300-1223047415_thumb.jpg

post-45300-1223047515_thumb.jpg

Edited by OutlawBiz

OK guys...I haven't been to the site in some time, but got a PM email from Don (flyin6) about my lifted 08 Denali nd decided to get back on this Forum to see what was happening.

Had I read all of this confusion / doubt about lifting the new Denali...I think I would have been scared out of my mind to do / try it! But, luckily when I decided to do it, there wasn't all this doubt out there! :cheers:

I literally stopped at a local mod shop and told him I wanted to put a 6" lift, wheels and tires on my 08 AWD Denali. He looked it over, caleld BDS and had a kit for it 3 days later. Installed it, I took it home and had a few issues with it and took it back in to rememdy. The biggest issue I had was with a howling / grinding noise in the front-end when I let off the acceleration (ie. cruise set at 80mph, tap the brake and it would growl until I got back on the gaes). After visitng with BDS tech, we determined that it was excess chatter in the front driveshaft due to modified driveline angle from lift and could / should be corrected with fabrication / installation of a new dual cardan setup.

So, I had a dual cardan driveshaft made, installed and SHAZAAM! Problem solved. No vibrations, no growling / grinding / howling...just a bad-ass lifted truck! It is slightly rougher riding...but then again...I didn't expect it to ride like a Cadillac with those mods! I recently took it on an 800 mile trip with 3 of my buddies and they were AMAZED at how nice it rode, how quiet it was and the 19 - 21 mpg average it got on the trip.

I have lost a little power by adding the larger tires (way heavier than stock setup)...but it still goes like a raped-ape when I need it to. With over 400hp stock, there is plenty of power when needed. I plan on doing a tune and programmer which will help get soem of that "stock" power back.

Sorry, I got a little sidetracked from the subject at hand here. As far as these lift comapnies saying it can't be done (lifting an AWD Denali)...then, how the hell is mine functioning with virtually NO issues!? I was in contact with a tech at BDS a dozen times in regards to my project and he NEVER ONCE told me I shouldn't / couldn't do it!? So, I guess I have to keep my fingers crossed that I didn't do something stupid and screw up a $50,000 truck by doing it huh!

Here's a little "proof" that the BDS setup can / is installed on an 08 Denali AWD:

post-45300-1223047415_thumb.jpgpost-45300-1223047515_thumb.jpg

Thanks for chiming in here! That was all good to hear. We are basically expanding the database here in doing things before untried. That will pave the road for others to follow along more easily.

I'm glad you chimed in. I knew I had seen at least one or two lifted SD's on here. I just couldn't remember who had done it. Thanks for the input!