Why Does A Person Buy An Hd Truck?

How we use our HD Trucks...  

285 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I bought my 2007 NBS 2500HD as soon as I could order one. I tow a 6000 lb TT and my old 1/2T Tahoe was just at its limits. I looked at the max tow pkg 1/2T and almost got one but stopped when I heard about the 6sp tranny and the brake controller on the HD. One of the things I did not like on the Tahoe was the distance between 2 and 3 and that you were not supposed to tow in 4th. When I looked at the new tranny I saw the close ratios and thought it made since for towing. When I coupled it with a 4.10 rear end I can now tow my TT on almost any grade in 4th gear (1.1:1) and due 50+mph turning around 3500 RPM - sweet. This summer I needed to haul some dirt for my garden - the guy at the landscaping place just about flipped when I asked him to load the bed to the top (approx 3000lbs) - I was just sitting on the last leaf - I could not have done that with a 1/2T. This rig is also my daily driver and for awhile it was my mobile office - love the hands free cell phone. I plan on keeping both it and my TT for quite some time and just needed something to get er done.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I bought my 2007 NBS 2500HD as soon as I could order one. I tow a 6000 lb TT and my old 1/2T Tahoe was just at its limits. I looked at the max tow pkg 1/2T and almost got one but stopped when I heard about the 6sp tranny and the brake controller on the HD. One of the things I did not like on the Tahoe was the distance between 2 and 3 and that you were not supposed to tow in 4th. When I looked at the new tranny I saw the close ratios and thought it made since for towing. When I coupled it with a 4.10 rear end I can now tow my TT on almost any grade in 4th gear (1.1:1) and due 50+mph turning around 3500 RPM - sweet. This summer I needed to haul some dirt for my garden - the guy at the landscaping place just about flipped when I asked him to load the bed to the top (approx 3000lbs) - I was just sitting on the last leaf - I could not have done that with a 1/2T. This rig is also my daily driver and for awhile it was my mobile office - love the hands free cell phone. I plan on keeping both it and my TT for quite some time and just needed something to get er done.

So I am guessing that you have the 6.0 engine?

I need the HDs for towing/hauling.

However I would still buy an HD even if it just sat in the garage.

I don't use mine as a daily driver. That is what the Blazer is for.

You have some nice trucks there :jester:

• 2 weeks later...

You were sitting on your last leaf with only 3000lbs? Sure you weren't hauling 4000lbs? When I put 4000lbs in the bed I was close to sitting on last leaf. I recently had a entra HD spring added which supports and additional 2000lbs, and now 4000lbs is like hauling 2000lbs when it was stock. You say you have the NBS, I take it you have 4 springs and a helper? 3000lbs dropping a 2500HD donw to the last spring doesn't seem right.

You were sitting on your last leaf with only 3000lbs? Sure you weren't hauling 4000lbs? When I put 4000lbs in the bed I was close to sitting on last leaf. I recently had a entra HD spring added which supports and additional 2000lbs, and now 4000lbs is like hauling 2000lbs when it was stock. You say you have the NBS, I take it you have 4 springs and a helper? 3000lbs dropping a 2500HD donw to the last spring doesn't seem right.

Depends on which truck! The crew cab has a payload rated just a hair over 3k lbs.

I got mine because the 1/2 ton doesn't have much payload at all in a crew cab; not to mention the Chevy has a 5'8" bed max! It was between an 09 F-150 crew or the Duramax... GM had $10K off and I cut a nice deal on top of that - NO comparison between the value of this truck vs an f150 :lol:

Archived