Size The Tires For My Z71

2004 z71 4.10 axles, has 285 tires on it, if i go back with factor size tires will my fuel milage increase? the truck is already geared low, should i stay with 285's or is my fuel milage shot because i have the low gears, i average about 14 ,pulling a trailler pretty often

2004 z71 4.10 axles, has 285 tires on it, if i go back with factor size tires will my fuel milage increase? the truck is already geared low, should i stay with 285's or is my fuel milage shot because i have the low gears, i average about 14 ,pulling a trailler pretty often

• 3 weeks later...

Had an 05 2500HD with 4:10s....got 12 mpg with factory 245s and 11 with 285s. Stick with whatcha got.

Keep in mind that if all you do is change tires (and don't recal the odo/speedo for the new tire sizes), the DIC fuel econ AND your manual calcs will be wrong (lower than reality when you use larger-than-stock tires) because ODO will read low with bigger tires.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

hey man l had a 97 chevy sliverado with 265/75r16 on my truck my gas mile was very good didn't round out the numbers but stock is alway good,some say big is better but it comes with a price to.which is a high fuel bill! :cool:

• 2 months later...

You didn't say what tread you are running...I'll guess somewhat aggressive since your running 285s.

I run 285 ATs and get about 14 as well. Tire inflation, tread pattern, passive weight on the vehicle and most important your driving style will impact the mileage you get.

I'd agree you should just keep what you have unless you are running a very aggressive tread pattern.

-----

I always find it interesting how many post there are on here about MPGs and how to improve it. Did any of us w/ these trucks really think we were going to get good gas mileage? There is a reason this info is in VERY SMALL PRINT on the window sticker at the dealers. :D

I dont think any of us expected great mileage. A 1 mpg increase means 2 free gallons per tank though. Right now that is about $4.50 per tank. I use 2-3 tanks per week. I have changed my route from interstate to frontage road going from 75 mph to 60 mpg increased my mileage a full 2 mpg, That saves me $25-$30 per week.

Stay with the 285s, 4.10 gears eat fuel anyway.

Archived