4.3 Smoking On Start

Just bought a 2008 sierra with 4.3 and its puffing white kinda blue smoke on start after sitting four an hour or so. I know the older 350's had problems valve seals. The dipstick oil is so clean I'm unable to tell if its to full of oil. Anybody else have this problem?

The 4.3 has not really changed all that much since 88 or so, a few tweaks here and there. That being said, the 4.3L is basically a 350 chopped in half. They were always puffing out a little smoke right at start up. Guess they still do in 2008. Probably would not hurt to run it by the dealer though if it is under warranty.

It's also the valve seals just like the 350's and other small blocks. I had an older S-10 that did it for a long time. Never used enough oil to make it worth fixing. As long as it doesn't foul up the Cat Converters, I wouldn't worry too much about it.

It's also the valve seals just like the 350's and other small blocks. I had an older S-10 that did it for a long time. Never used enough oil to make it worth fixing. As long as it doesn't foul up the Cat Converters, I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Naw new trucks shouldnt do that. It looks like it may be over filled with oil. Might just change oil and drop level. I had a 97 4.3 new years ago,never had a issue. But it will go back an vist the dealer

engine break in period ?? - how many miles do you have on the truck ??

Less than 100 miles

You've got to allow for engine break in. Put some miles on it. See what happens

Archived