2wd Truck In Manitoba?

MB4x4

Anyone from Manitoba here? Looking to buy a truck and thought about getting a 2WD for the better gas mileage. I move to MB in 3 months and never have been there before. Good or bad idea to get a 2WD? How are the roads in winter - driveable with a 2WD or will I be stuck all the time?

Thanks.

Anyone from Manitoba here? Looking to buy a truck and thought about getting a 2WD for the better gas mileage. I move to MB in 3 months and never have been there before. Good or bad idea to get a 2WD? How are the roads in winter - driveable with a 2WD or will I be stuck all the time?

Thanks.

I'm in Texas (Thank God) but moving to the frozen tundra in a 2WD truck sounds like a nighmare. A FWD car might be ok.

I drove through 5 Iowa winters with my 2WD, Regular Cab, Short Box Silverado. Iowa winters aren't quite as bad as Manitoba, but we do get a lot of snow and ice.

You get some good tires, maybe even studded tires. Put 500 lbs of sandbags or whatever in the back. Don't drive like a moron. :D I was safer in that truck than 75% of the 4WD SUV drivers that flew by me. :P

But when I bought my truck last March, I only looked at 4WD vehicles. Mainly because I feel there are certain times where 2WD just won't quite cut it. I also feel that in winter conditions, every person should at least have access to a 4WD vehicle, and my friends all drive Focus Focuses and the like.

Maybe a local can chime in, but if I were buying, the extra $300/yr in fuel wouldn't bother me too much. :thumbs:

I drove through 5 Iowa winters with my 2WD, Regular Cab, Short Box Silverado. Iowa winters aren't quite as bad as Manitoba, but we do get a lot of snow and ice.

You get some good tires, maybe even studded tires. Put 500 lbs of sandbags or whatever in the back. Don't drive like a moron. :D I was safer in that truck than 75% of the 4WD SUV drivers that flew by me. :P

But when I bought my truck last March, I only looked at 4WD vehicles. Mainly because I feel there are certain times where 2WD just won't quite cut it. I also feel that in winter conditions, every person should at least have access to a 4WD vehicle, and my friends all drive Focus Focuses and the like.

Maybe a local can chime in, but if I were buying, the extra $300/yr in fuel wouldn't bother me too much. :thumbs:

Yeah. If you are buying a vehicle KNOWING that you are moving into a harsh winter area, I'd think the choice would be clear.

Sicne you're looking at a 2003-2006, 4x4 is activiated thru buttons on the dash. 2HI, 4HI, 4LO, and most models have 'Auto4WD'.

Simply press what you need.

Auto4WD is nice to have, especially if someone else is driving your truck and is not used to it.

I'm in Texas (Thank God) but moving to the frozen tundra in a 2WD truck sounds like a nighmare. A FWD car might be ok.

I do every day Jim. :D

I'd bet there are some hairy (no pun intended) times on the ice but experience driving in it is a HUGE help I'm sure... I'd probably want 4WD for the added traction getting going. 800WD wouldn't help once traction is lost. You probably have your share of idiots up there that can't handle it.

I do every day Jim. :D

I'd bet there are some hairy (no pun intended) times on the ice but experience driving in it is a HUGE help I'm sure... I'd probably want 4WD for the added traction getting going. 800WD wouldn't help once traction is lost. You probably have your share of idiots up there that can't handle it.

True, but 4WD does help maintain traction and control all the time, not just getting going. But obviously it has it's limits in slick conditions. Unfortunately many people do not realize that.

True, but 4WD does help maintain traction and control all the time, not just getting going. But obviously it has it's limits in slick conditions. Unfortunately many people do not realize that.

Considering the high percentage of idiots in the general public, I'd bet tow truck operators are busy during the ice season up there. Luckily we don't get ice. The drivers here are word class idiots! :D I last drove in really icy conditions back in 1984. Since then about 12 hours of occasionally iced over bridges is all we have ever had to contend with. That must seem like another planet to you guys. :D

Archived