How Long Do They Last

The other day a buddy of mine and i were fighting back and forth about ford vs. chevy. Then the question came up of how long do silverados really last when they are taken care of. I have a 2002 silverado 5.3. how long is it expected to last. its at 100k miles now and never had any problems. how many miles do you guys have on yours. i love my truck i just want to know how much time i have left with her.

The other day a buddy of mine and i were fighting back and forth about ford vs. chevy. Then the question came up of how long do silverados really last when they are taken care of. I have a 2002 silverado 5.3. how long is it expected to last. its at 100k miles now and never had any problems. how many miles do you guys have on yours. i love my truck i just want to know how much time i have left with her.

I personally know of some with over 300 K miles on them, still going strong.

One guy on this site had over 375 k miles a couple years ago.

If its taken care of, 200,000+ is not uncommon.........Actually I'd be surprised if it didn't last more than 200k.

Same is true about most of the vortec engines, the 6000 is great, the 4300 is not that powerful, but its a tank, same as the 4800,

and if you wanna go old school, the 305, and 350 were great engines too!

:)

Yeah, the GenIII engines have proven themselves to be just as reliable or more so than the original small blocks. Not uncommon to see 200k or 300k, I remember someone posted on here of a truck that had about 425k on it on the original engine. Jury's still out on the GenIV AFM engines though.

Yeah, the GenIII engines have proven themselves to be just as reliable or more so than the original small blocks. Not uncommon to see 200k or 300k, I remember someone posted on here of a truck that had about 425k on it on the original engine. Jury's still out on the GenIV AFM engines though.

A little off subject, but did they finally abolish the death penalty in NM. I used to work an PNM just outside of Santa Fe, and I saw ur sig. Sorry for the jack.

A little off subject, but did they finally abolish the death penalty in NM. I used to work an PNM just outside of Santa Fe, and I saw ur sig. Sorry for the jack.

Sure am glad the death penalty is in full swing here in Texas! :):D:mad: Only problem is they aren't swift or cruel enough. :D

I don't think its official yet, it's passed the house and senate it just needs to be signed by Richardson. He opposed getting rid of it in the past but is now "considering it." Everyone is pretty sure he'll sign it to please the yuppies up north and get the heat off of him being under investigation.

One of our delivery guys had over 420K on his 99 5.3 back in December of 2007 and it's still going. I don't know how long it will keep going but that is amazing to me.

That's the one I was talking about. I didn't realize it was that long ago. I wonder how many miles it has now? 450k? Those ancient pushrods at their best. Let's see the 5.7 out of a Tundra running with nothing but maintenance at 425k miles.

One of our delivery guys had over 420K on his 99 5.3 back in December of 2007 and it's still going. I don't know how long it will keep going but that is amazing to me.

That's the one I was talking about. I didn't realize it was that long ago. I wonder how many miles it has now? 450k? Those ancient pushrods at their best. Let's see the 5.7 out of a Tundra running with nothing but maintenance at 425k miles.

I think he is up over 475K now. He's had it since new. I realize that most aren't going to go that far but it is amazing!

I'll try to get a new picture.

Archived