How Exactly Does The Denali Awd Work?

I am interested in getting either a Denali or nice SLT. I don't plan to off road with either truck choice, but I want to make sure I know how the Denali AWD works. But after researching on the Internet, I have come to several explanations. Which one is right?

Explanation A: There is no front transfer case, and all 4 wheels are always receiving power from the engine. A viscous clutch in the front allows the front wheels to turn at different speeds. In the end, no matter what, ALL four wheels are ALWAYS receiving power.

Explanation B: There is a 60/40 power ratio. 60% of the power goes to the back, 40% to the front. Limited slip front differential allows one wheel to turn faster than the other. All four wheels always get power.

Explanation C: Whenever a wheel slips, much of all the power goes to that wheel. Leaving you with one wheel turning (and spinning)

Explanation D: The Denali AWD is basically an auto 4x4. The back wheels provide the power at all times, unless they slip. When they do, the front engages as well.

I want to make sure, that even though I don't plan to go off road, that I wont get stuck in the slightest little slippery mud. (i.e., a muddy clay road)

So, which one, if any of them, is right? Thanks for any light on this. :sigh:

B but No limited slip front differential but it has a rear limited slip rear differential

Electromic AWD Transfer Case

Partial fail

I'm feeling lazy, so I just did a search so I don't have to type this out. :D

All you want to know about the AWD system on the new GM trucks.

http://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/index.php?...st&p=789037

EDIT: Also, the rear differential is your standard G80 Locking diff.

Fail

This was multiple choise, not essay form. :sigh:

But I'm with the above, open up front,G80 in back.

• 2 years later...
I am interested in getting either a Denali or nice SLT. I don't plan to off road with either truck choice, but I want to make sure I know how the Denali AWD works. But after researching on the Internet, I have come to several explanations. Which one is right?

Explanation A: There is no front transfer case, and all 4 wheels are always receiving power from the engine. A viscous clutch in the front allows the front wheels to turn at different speeds. In the end, no matter what, ALL four wheels are ALWAYS receiving power.

Explanation B: There is a 60/40 power ratio. 60% of the power goes to the back, 40% to the front. Limited slip front differential allows one wheel to turn faster than the other. All four wheels always get power.

Explanation C: Whenever a wheel slips, much of all the power goes to that wheel. Leaving you with one wheel turning (and spinning)

Explanation D: The Denali AWD is basically an auto 4x4. The back wheels provide the power at all times, unless they slip. When they do, the front engages as well.

I want to make sure, that even though I don't plan to go off road, that I wont get stuck in the slightest little slippery mud. (i.e., a muddy clay road)

So, which one, if any of them, is right? Thanks for any light on this. :thumbs:

Honestly, the AWD is what kills the Denali for me. Why do you want permanent AWD? During the summer its nice to go into 2wd and save the wear and tear on the driveline and enjoy the fuel savings. Its a pity that its the only option on the Denalis, because I think that they are easily the nicest truck/suv that GM has ever made. With the SLT model you can pick and choose what you want, 2wd for nice days, auto 4x4 for when you have icy patches, 4x4 for when youre in some deeper snow/mud/ice and 4Low for when you are in even deeper snow/mud or you want to get a boat up a ramp without problems. Thats just me though.

Honestly, the AWD is what kills the Denali for me. Why do you want permanent AWD? During the summer its nice to go into 2wd and save the wear and tear on the driveline and enjoy the fuel savings. Its a pity that its the only option on the Denalis, because I think that they are easily the nicest truck/suv that GM has ever made. With the SLT model you can pick and choose what you want, 2wd for nice days, auto 4x4 for when you have icy patches, 4x4 for when youre in some deeper snow/mud/ice and 4Low for when you are in even deeper snow/mud or you want to get a boat up a ramp without problems. Thats just me though.

You would be amazed at how many people do not know how to use 4wd sensibly. So many people just lock it in 4wd and think that it can get them thru anything uphill or downhill. 4wd can get you in more trouble if you do not know when to use it and when not to use it. That is where some people prefer AWD. And lets face it, some people are far better off with AWD v/s a manual setup. It does not skid and buck like a truck locked in 4wd. Yet it offers plenty of traction to propel the vehicle in the desired direction. Sometimes luxury means "I do not have to think, the vehicle does it for me".

You would be amazed at how many people do not know how to use 4wd sensibly. So many people just lock it in 4wd and think that it can get them thru anything uphill or downhill. 4wd can get you in more trouble if you do not know when to use it and when not to use it. That is where some people prefer AWD. And lets face it, some people are far better off with AWD v/s a manual setup. It does not skid and buck like a truck locked in 4wd. Yet it offers plenty of traction to propel the vehicle in the desired direction. Sometimes luxury means "I do not have to think, the vehicle does it for me".

Im with you on that, I wouldnt think of getting my mom something that needed levers or buttons to engage 4x4, awd or its going to be 2wd till the end of time. I know how great AWD is, my mom had a Subaru and Ive driven Audi Quattros before, its awesome. I just think having the option of 2wd or 4wd is better for me. Trust me, Ive seen enough morons with lifted trucks with big ass tires slide off the road yet the guy in front of me with the Ddoge Neon with bald all seasons has no problems, 4x4 helps but it does not defeat the rules of physics or friction.

Archived