Towing And Payload Capacity Gmc 1500

Hello,

I have a 1989gmc sierra 1500 truck. extended cab, longbed, 4x4, 350 with automatic. I am trying to find the towing capacity and the payload capacity for my truck. Its pretty much stock, but I am considering adding air shocks, a heavier duty radiator, and a transmission cooler. As it is now, what would the capacity's be?

Thanks,

Jafo

Hello Mike,

I am curious to see whether I will be able to tow/haul the following:

1. Average size travel trailer

2. 5th wheel travel trailer

3. Reasonably sized slide in truck camper.

I know I won't be able to tow a 6 ton monstrosity, or a 35 foot long 5th wheel, or a 3200 lb Lance behemoth. I'm just looking for a ballpark figure. Nowhere on the truck can I find a combined vehicle weight rating, or a max payload rating. The gross vehicle weight rating is 6200 pounds. I think I can weigh my truck and subtract that number from the gvwr and get an apx payload (for general hauling)

Am I on the right track?

Jafo

I'll get back to you, but I think your listed options to tow/haul will not be a problem. The traveler or a 5th in the 27ft range would probably be good. My understanding is that a better torque converter for the trans when towing is recommended. My 92 is having the trans refreshed now as my 20 year old overworked it hauling dirt. I am extremely happy it made it to 193k without issues, but I knew it was a matter of time. We are going with a shift kit-corvette servo-9 plate clutch pack and welded vane converter. The trans guy was recommended by the guy who rebuilt the motor in November, so the new components should play out well together for getting business taken care of.

--Mike

Ok... here are some pieces of information that will help sort this out...

You state that the GVW is 6200 lbs... I looked at Edmunds.com and for a 1990 (the oldest they show) for a XC LB 4WD the GVW is 6200 (this agrees with your info) and the max payload is 1595 (assuming a 4.3L v6 in the truck..

So with a 350 engine the payload would be a little less due to the increased weight of the engine. Say that maybe the max payload is around 1300 to 1400 lbs... and this capacity has to handle the driver and passengers, the fuel in the tank, the hitch mechanism, and weight applied to the hitch from a trailer or camper. That is the weight issue for the capacity of the suspension..... IF the truck and all suspension parts are in good like-new condition.

I checked Trailer Life towing guide and for a 1998 (the oldest avail on the 'net) the Towing capacity of a 1500 XC 2wd is 7,000 lbs, IF the truck has 3.73 gears, hd cooling capacity, and auto trans.,,,, and then 4wd is rated lower... so your towing capacity is likely around 6500 lbs.

This puts your Gross Combined Weight Rating of your truck at (6200 plus 6500) = 12,700 lbs.... so driving down the highway your total weight of truck, people, fuel, luggage, and trailer/camper cannot legally exceed 12,700 lbs.

Now the truck can likely handle this and more... but it starts to get unsafe for stopping, cornering, etc... and in my province the ticket from the highway patrol for exceeding this max is high enough... and then if ever in an accident your insurance is void.

The conclusion is that a 1/2 T 4wd is not the most robust truck for pulling trailer or hauling a camper of any size. This is truly what 3/4T trucks are for! And I just really would not advise mounting a 5th wheel in any 1/2T truck box. I have a friend that did that (he hauls and tows animals and farm equip all the time), and pulling a 26 foot lightweght 5th wheel camping trailer with the 1/2T scared the crap out of him on the highway the first year... so he went out and bought a new 2500hd duramax... maybe a little overkill but he really wanted one anyway!

Ive had 2000lbs in the back of my RC LB 2wd C1500, it has the vortec 350 and a 4l60E with 4.10 gears in the rear end.

With me, my brother, full tank of gas, and the ton of stuff in the bed it weighed 6400lbs.

It drove basicly like normal you knew the load was there but it wasnt bad, stoping was noticably worse but driving smart takes care of that. I wouldnt do that alot but it can do it.

Well,

I took the truck to a truckstop and weighed it on the scales. With a full tank of gas and and my fat as* in the cab, the scales showed a gross weight of 5340 pounds. I weigh in at 215 pounds. Basically this means an 860 pound payload (thereabouts). Granted, I couldn't haul a lance camper, but I have seen several smaller "pop -up" types that weigh in around a grand. With air shocks and heavy rated tires on the rear, I think a small camper is a doable thing.

Well,

I took the truck to a truckstop and weighed it on the scales. With a full tank of gas and and my fat as* in the cab, the scales showed a gross weight of 5340 pounds. I weigh in at 215 pounds. Basically this means an 860 pound payload (thereabouts). Granted, I couldn't haul a lance camper, but I have seen several smaller "pop -up" types that weigh in around a grand. With air shocks and heavy rated tires on the rear, I think a small camper is a doable thing.

WOW 4x4 and extended cab add 1200lbs compared to my truck Whoa.. i wasnt expecting that big of a diffrence.

Archived