Ball Joints Went Bad W/ Leveling Kit

Matt,

I have a Techie question for you if you don't mind:

It's time to get these terrible Goodyear LS/2's off my truck. The local off-road shop is recommending the Readylift 2.25" kit and just under a 33" tire (305/65/17 Procomp XAT) on a Procomp 6001 17x8 wheels with 4.5 backspace. I'm thinking of changing the Procomp tires to Nitto, but other than that really like the look.

I called Readylift and they are not aware of any balljoint failured with this kit, except a few Utah guys that were doing some extreme rock crawling (not sure how they got a GMT900 with 2" of lift into extreme crawling, but that's the story). The only change he recommended was to add the 1" rear block because I do occasionally tow a boat.

Do you think this setup would be safe based on the comments posted above? Don't want to cause myself more trouble here, but would like to use the truck in the dirt a bit. Real life forces me to drive mostly freeway, work and commuting to Lake Havasu and back for fun with the kids, but would like it to look and ride like a truck - rather than a street racer .

Thanks,

Steve

Steve, That's the ReadyLift setup I'm running now and I love it. It's awesome. No issues at all! I did the rear block trade out also. It has a slightly stock stance but just 2" taller all around. Go for it you'll be happy you did.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
for the good of the forum - what kind of symptoms were you getting ?

Hitting very light bumps in the road, I got a knocking/pounding noise on the left front end. Also going around tight bends or in parking lots, I got a small thump/pound noise in the left front end. Anything like speed bumps in a parking lot or big humps in a road, would make it pound really hard

My experience with the leveling kit is as soon as it was put on I started noticing the light pop while making sharp low speed turns. Not sure if it is the turning/pivoting of the ball joints or actual weight of the truck shifting (perhaps more pressure on a body mount) causing the noise. So I'm not so certain the pop noise is indicating a ball joint failure.

True, that a noise alone is not an accurate diagnosis of balljoint failure.... but from his first post, it sounds like a shop found the balljoint issue (see below) when he brought it in because of the noise. And you even state that you're not sure if the popping sound is your balljoints or not. Well, if it is your balljoints, don't you think that may not be good for them?

... They replaced that and the noise didn't go away. Well upon taking it this morning for inspection, they found both left and right ball joints were SHOT. They said they couldn't beleive I was still driving it, the left side is barely intact.

Also, i dont know about you guys, but i hate ANY creak/pop/clunk sound. To me, that means something is wrong and needs to be fixed/corrected/etc. If i put a leveling kit on and it was making a pop sound... personally i'd find out what it was; if not for piece of mind, for safety

When i was looking for a car, i test drove a few GM trucks and SUVs with levels and the one thing in common was the clicking/bumping/poping noise in the front left. When i talked to the guy at the dealer (Texas Direct Auto - they specialize in lifted trucks), he said that it's not the suspension but the steering. When you go arround tight corners, as in a parking garage, it puts more stress on the steering shaft and components. He sid the only way to truly fix the noise was to find a thicker, more heavy duty steering shaft so it can take the stress.

That guy lied to you and was trying to sell you a truck.

Unless he was talking about the int mediate shaft that needs to be greased or replaced.... But that's a different clunking and not an issue on gmt900 trucks

That guy lied to you and was trying to sell you a truck.

Unless he was talking about the int mediate shaft that needs to be greased or replaced.... But that's a different clunking and not an issue on gmt900 trucks

Ok. Well i didnt end up buying my truck from him anyways so that was good.

I just ordered my rims and tires:

22"x11" American Racing ATX Clash Gloss Black

305/45/22 Toyo Open Country AT

TruXXX leveling Kit with rear 1.25" spacer

I should have the pics up in a few weeks (I cant get it all installed until i finish my job because i wont be able to fit in the parking garage)

• 3 weeks later...

Matt-

I read your earleir post saying that you couldn't get a good 3-4" suspension lift for a good price. I was wondering if you had seen the 3" suspension lift for the 07-09 1500 from rough country? I was wondering what you thought of it...being a mechanic would it be a safer solution to the leveling kits?

Here is the link for the product:

http://www.roughcountry.com/chevy_4wd_1500_3.html

Hi gabe,

In short (because I'm using my phone), I'm not a fan of that 3" RC kit either.... Its a glorified leveling kit.

It does nothing to correct steering linkage angles, the lower balljoint angles and CV angles.

Also, something that a lot of people don't consider is that your front end is a 4 link system, by changing the length of one of the links (with the new uca) you have changed the angle of the hub throughout the range of motion of the suspension.

IMO, I'd steer clear.

Edit: and just a note to all, keep in mind that we live in a "buyer be ware" market.... Manfacturers will make false claims to sell their parts. A prime example of this is how they try to sell aftermarket torsion bar keys for the gmt800 trucks and claim 2-3 inches of lift WITHOUT affecting the ride... Which is a flat out lie. So I digress... I do not believe that modified upper control arms resolve all of the issues associated with leveling kits and may in fact induce other issues.... You are free to believe otherwise, but please don't think otherwise because it says so on their website.

Matt-

I read your earleir post saying that you couldn't get a good 3-4" suspension lift for a good price. I was wondering if you had seen the 3" suspension lift for the 07-09 1500 from rough country? I was wondering what you thought of it...being a mechanic would it be a safer solution to the leveling kits?

Here is the link for the product:

http://www.roughcountry.com/chevy_4wd_1500_3.html

Been there, done that...just say NO!

My truck has a pop in the front end some where. Usually does it when turning right and the weight shifts hard to the left front tire. Its not my ball joints I can't get any play when tugging on the tire. I doubt its steering, because I never feel it in the wheel. So I think it is something else. I've heard many rumblings about loose crossmemeber bolts, to upper strut mounts...

Mine was knocking but it turned out to be my hub assembly/ wheel bearing gone out. Sounded like a roar going down the road and knocked in bumpy spots. Sounded like a tire scrubbing fender well sometimes and knocked alot. It is in shop now getting fixed.

Hey Andy,

When checking your balljoint are you jacking up the truck from the frame or crossmember? If you are, try jacking from the outer most point possible on the lower control arm and look for play again.also try using a pry bar... Sometime you can't feel any play when just shaking the tire.

When jacking from the frame/crossmember the suspension extends and loads the joints, thereby not allowing the to knock around as easily.

• 3 years later...

I did a search for more recent threads but didn't find any, so I'm bumping an older thread;

I have a 2010 NBS, 2WD extended cab. I'm giving some thought to front leveling kit.

Does this thread represent the vocal minority who have had suspension problems after installing a leveling kit? Or is it likely that installing a leveling kit will introduce accelerated wear of the front end components? This truck has been very reliable and rides like a dream. I'm not interested in introducing unnecessary failures.

Any feedback on 2wd leveling kits (brands, amount of lift, long-termresults, etc). is appreciated.

Tipsy

• 4 weeks later...

Well, mine is 4wd, but I installed a 2" level kit (lower mount setup) and had it on for about 50k miles with no issues. I do wish I would have went 1.5" instead since I tow a trailer from time to time and would rather it sat a little higher in the rear. But no issues at all so far. I took it in for an alignment when I had it done and it didn't change much the dealer said. I ran those tires for another 40k miles and no wear issues there either.

Archived