2008 Silverado Power Door Lock Actuator Failed

My passenger side door on my EC quit working last weekend. Don't have time to take it in for warranty yet but it's a PIA not working. I can see why they fail as they lock and unlock all the time unnecessarily. I wish you could disable the auto door lock thru the DIC.

No DIC disable on 900s but this will work...bad part requires dealer visit...may charge..note on my 09 it did disable the auto lock but does not allow you to go back and forth to auto lock and not auto lock as the repair states..dealer may have messed it up ?? but my auto lock is off and I like it that way...

http://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/index.php?...amp;hl=autolock

Edited by STex

Jason,

I've replaced both driver side door locks on my 08 SD... if i remember after work tomorrow i'll post up the part numbers for ya.

Ryan,

I'm pretty sure I can turn off the auto-door locks via my DIC.....

Even so, these actuators should have a cycle rate of 10,000+. They're not very complicated parts... i bet they either got a few bad batches from a supplier or just got a lot of crap from the lowest bidder.

Matt,

That would be greatly appreciated if you could do that for me. I'm sure they aren't that hard to replace. Like you said they are very simple parts and pretty much just consist of a coil of wire. If i had to guess I would say the insulation on the winding wire of the coils was put on too thin or inconsitently and eventually short over time which causes the actuator to lose all of it's strength or not work at all. My local dealer quoted me $500 for them to replace the actuators in both of the doors on the driver's side. I'm thinking I can buy them and install them myself for much cheaper.

Just had both rear actuators replaced in mine. It finally got warm outside (Minnesota) and suddenly the driver's side rear wouldn't work and the passenger side rear was intermittent.

Took it in, explained the issue, left the stealership 45 minutes later after they replaced both rear actuators.

Had this done to mine this week. The mechanic said they've changed a lot of them. Even if you're out of warranty, GM knows this part had issues so you can probably press them for a free replacement to the "improved" model. The lock actuator went out on my wife's Sienna last year out of warranty. Checked w/ Toyota, and it was a $300+ part! The GM part is about $80, so at least we have that going for us. FWIW, the Toyota part was also a known "bad design", and someone had figured out how to repair and found a replacement. I followed their path, ordering a little $2 DC motor for ~$10 off ebay and replacing that little piece myself. Works great...

Matt,

Just checking to see if you were able to get those part numbers. Thanks for your help!

Left/Front Door Lock&Actuator: 25876385 ($68 @ gmpartsdirect)

Left/Rear Door Lock&Actuator: 25876393 ($80 @ gmpartsdirect)

Has GM released new part numbers at all? Or is just the same set of "faulty" parts?

And has anybody replaced the actuator themselves? Is it difficult? Just wondering, in case I were to have issues out of warranty. (I wouldn't want to pay for the labor)

All four of mine are bad on my 08 crew cab. I replaced the front passenger side last weekend. Bought the part at the local dealer... $124.95!!!! They wanted $150.00 to put it in. It took a couple of hours for this first one... the rest should take about an hour. Not fun...but not bad.

I have contacted GM... they are supposed to call today between 1 & 3 P.M. ... WAITING! I'll post what they say. WE ALL need to write in and complain...obviously this is a real problem. :lol:

Danka. :eek:

All four of mine are bad on my 08 crew cab. I replaced the front passenger side last weekend. Bought the part at the local dealer... $124.95!!!! They wanted $150.00 to put it in. It took a couple of hours for this first one... the rest should take about an hour. Not fun...but not bad.

I have contacted GM... they are supposed to call today between 1 & 3 P.M. ... WAITING! I'll post what they say. WE ALL need to write in and complain...obviously this is a real problem. :lol:

Danka. :eek:

I guess your truck is out of warranty? All 4 of mine were changed out yesterday under warranty.

Looking forward to a how-to....I noticed my driver's side door is getting lazy, not always opening for me when I put it in Park. Of course, it only started doing this now: 36,600 miles.

Bastard. :thumbs:

So if its getting lazy, it IS the actuator, right? I would have thought its either that it works or not... Like i posted above sometimes the key fob will unlock the door, and sometimes not. Really has me concerned it may be another issue, but the lights flash and everything like its supposed to... I dunno........

Looking forward to a how-to....I noticed my driver's side door is getting lazy, not always opening for me when I put it in Park. Of course, it only started doing this now: 36,600 miles.

Bastard. :thumbs:

So if its getting lazy, it IS the actuator, right? I would have thought its either that it works or not... Like i posted above sometimes the key fob will unlock the door, and sometimes not. Really has me concerned it may be another issue, but the lights flash and everything like its supposed to... I dunno........

Yours is acting just like mine was. The dealer changed the actuators and everythings works as it should now.