Transmission Overfill...

Now the truth shall set you free. You left out the last part, that you are very unhappy with them and unhappy with there work. Sleep on this. Did they put the correct fluid in your truck?, did they even drop your pan and change the filter?. Why didn't you take it to a GM dealership to have it done?. If I was in your spot those are the questions that might be running through my head. I'd either do it my self again so I know it's done right or take it to a dealership and have it done. Either way, get some fluid out.

Now the truth shall set you free. You left out the last part, that you are very unhappy with them and unhappy with there work. Sleep on this. Did they put the correct fluid in your truck?, did they even drop your pan and change the filter?. Why didn't you take it to a GM dealership to have it done?. If I was in your spot those are the questions that might be running through my head. I'd either do it my self again so I know it's done right or take it to a dealership and have it done. Either way, get some fluid out.

Well, I know they did the rest of the job correctly as I stood in the bay and watched the whole time. I always do that, guess I'm a little paranoid, but I know it's got a new filter in there. I was happy with their work until they tried to give me the run around on it being overfilled. If they had just said "Yeah bring it in, we'll take care of it for you." then everything would have been fine. This shop was recommended by friends and family that have had good luck with them. As for taking it to the dealer, I never take any vehicles to the dealer. If they charged reasonable prices, then I might. But until then, I'll either do it myself, or use independent shops. No offense meant to guys that work at the dealers.

A shop did that to me and I used a cheap suction gun and tube to get it out. You don't want it overfilled at all because as the other posters said, it will contact moving parts and foam up.

• 5 years later...

I had all my fluids changed at a GM dealer at a cost of around $500 in July of 2014. I just noticed a leak in one of the black rubber lines that is crimped to one of the tubes going down to the lower area of the radiator (its on the passenger side). There may be leakage from another black rubber line that also has a crimp to one of the lines from the radiator back to the transmission. I checked my transmission fluid and it is about the same as a previous post--way above the HOT line on the dipstick when it is cold and higher yet when it is hot. Is it possible that this overfill caused the leakage?

I had all my fluids changed at a GM dealer at a cost of around $500 in July of 2014. I just noticed a leak in one of the black rubber lines that is crimped to one of the tubes going down to the lower area of the radiator (its on the passenger side). There may be leakage from another black rubber line that also has a crimp to one of the lines from the radiator back to the transmission. I checked my transmission fluid and it is about the same as a previous post--way above the HOT line on the dipstick when it is cold and higher yet when it is hot. Is it possible that this overfill caused the leakage?

No

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

I over fill mine about half inch - ran almost a year - no issue so far thanks GOD, factory gave me the truck with very low (no oil - dip stick wasn't touching the oil level) tranny oil - and made lots of nosie / virbration etc. since its over fill they 're gone. :cool:

So slightly overfull on the hot won't hurt?

YES, it sure is possible.

Your transmission is designed to run on a certain amount of fluid, not whatever amount the mechanic feels like putting in. Fluids make pressure, the proper amount of fluid will make the proper pressure needed for smooth operation. Overfilling with too much fluid can cause a higher amount of pressure, possibly blowing seals or bursting lines (extreme but it can happen).

The proper amount of fluid will maintain the pressure your transmission needs to operate properly. Having far too much fluid can cause excess pressure and in turn cause leaks like you are experiencing.

Sent from my crappy iPhone 6

using Tapatalk

YES, it sure is possible.

Your transmission is designed to run on a certain amount of fluid, not whatever amount the mechanic feels like putting in. Fluids make pressure, the proper amount of fluid will make the proper pressure needed for smooth operation. Overfilling with too much fluid can cause a higher amount of pressure, possibly blowing seals or bursting lines (extreme but it can happen).

The proper amount of fluid will maintain the pressure your transmission needs to operate properly. Having far too much fluid can cause excess pressure and in turn cause leaks like you are experiencing.

Sent from my crappy iPhone 6

using Tapatalk

Doesn't the pressure regulator for the transmission oil pump control pressure ?

A slightly higher oil level will do zero harm , there is no oil pressure inside the housing Hence the vent , only on the clutch Pistons

Archived