The F-150 Lightning is here. And if you thought that Ford’s all-electric truck would just be a normal pickup with some electric motors and a battery – think again. As it turns out, Ford has put a lot of time, research, and effort into making the F-150 Lightning unique, full of neat features, and a pickup that just might make Chevrolet a little worried.
We’ll have a full story on the new F-150 Lightning soon with all of the small details, facts, and insider information. Until then, enjoy this quick rundown that covers all of the important details about the F-150 Lightning that you can quickly skim over and digest easily.
Chevrolet recently announced that they would produce an all-electric Silverado in the near future, but we’ve yet to see or hear anything much about it. Now that the F-150 Lightning is out in the open, this certainly puts the ball in GM’s court. With such a strong game, should General Motors be worried? Can the Electric Silverado really match the F-150 Lightning and everything it brings to the table?
Ford F-150 Lightning Rundown & Highlights
- 563 horsepower and 775 lb-ft of torque
- Commercial model starts at $39,974 & XLT trim starts at $52,974 before tax credits
- Features can change and be improved with over the air software updates
- Available with a standard range battery (XLT) and extended range battery (Lariat/Platinum)
- Introduces “Blue Cruise”, which offers hands-free driving on 100,000 miles of “pre-qualified” highways
- Features onboard scales, which can use sensors to estimate payload and trailer tongue weight. Real-time range estimates can be adapted considering how much payload is being hauled.
- Can use your phone as a key
- Optional “Pro Trailer Hitch Assist” can control throttle, brake, and steering to automatically hitch up a trailer
- Available Ford Intelligent Backup Power – which can turn your truck into a backup power source for your home using its own charging station
- Intelligent Backup Power Can provide up to 9.2kWh of energy, powering an average home for up to three days.
- Ford Intelligent Power can also automatically switch to power your home during high energy cost times during the day in the future.
- A forward “frunk” under the hood offers dedicated storage space big enough for two sets of golf clubs. It includes a power open and close system. It can carry up to 400lbs of cargo.
- The “frunk” can provide up to 2.4kW of power for tools, TVs, laptops, or cooking appliances.
- 80-amp charging station comes as standard equipment and can add 30 miles of range per hour. An extended range truck can be fully charged from 15% to 100% in about 8 hours.
- A DC fast charger can add 54 miles of range in about 10 minutes and charge from 15% to 80% in 41 minutes.
- It’s the most aero-dynamic F-150 ever
- It Will be built at the Rouge Electric Vehicle Center
- Arrives in Spring 2022.
- Can be reserved right now for $100
Ford F-150 Lightning Photos