The global chip shortage is cutting even deeper into features we’ve come to expect on certain GM models, including the Silverado and Sierra. Now, GM is removing the digital temperature display readout found on the control knobs of a half dozen vehicles with automatic climate control so they can keep production moving along.
General Motors alerted dealers today that between August 23rd and August 26th, 2021 the following list of vehicles would no longer ship with temperature readout displays inside of the control knob. This isn’t the first feature to get the axe because of shortages this model year.
- 2021 Chevy Silverado and Sierra (some trim levels)
- 2022 Silverado LTD and Sierra Limited
- 2022 Chevrolet Colorado
- 2022 GMC Canyon
- 2022 GMC Acadia (some trim levels)
- 2022 GMC Terrain
The removal of the temperature display inside of the control knob is not a temporary change. Dealers have been told that the change will affect the rest of the 2021 model year and nearly all of the 2022 model year for light-duty pickups. The change will be in effect for a large portion of the 2022 model year for Acadia and Terrain.
The change does not apply to every single trim level, however. 2021 and 2022 Silverado LTZ/High Country and Sierra AT4/Denali models will still come with the temperature readout dials. For 2022 the change only applies to “Limited” carry-over models for full-size trucks.
For mid-size Colorado and Canyon pickups, the changes apply to all models, including ZR2 and Denali. For 2022 GMC Terrain the change applies to all trim levels. For 2022 GMC Acadia, Denali trim is spared the de-contenting.
The change, as of now, does not apply to HD truck models.
Vehicles without the temperature readout within the dial will be marked on the window sticker as having RPO Code “00D – Not equipped with climate control knobs digital temperature display” and will have a $20 discount applied to adjust the vehicle price.
GM will also issue an infotainment software update, later on, to add more “access to temperature displays” for models without the readout.
2021 & 2022 Chevrolet/GMC Models That Will Lose Temperature Readout Dials
- 2021 Chevy Silverado 1500 | LT / LT[2FL] / RST / LT TrailBoss
- 2021 GMC Sierra | SLE / Elevation (3SB) / Elevation (3VL) / SLT
- 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTD | LT / LT[2FL] / RST / LT TrailBoss
- 2022 GMC Sierra Limited | SLE / Elevation (3SB) / Elevation (3VL) / SLT
- 2022 Chevrolet Colorado | LT / Z71 / ZR2
- 2022 GMC Canyon | Evevation / AT4 / Denali
- 2022 GMC Acadia | SLE / SLT / AT4
- 2022 GMC Terrain | SLE / SLT / AT4 / Denali