The Hyundai IONIQ 5 – Hyundai’s newest IONIQ BEV (Battery Electric Vehicle), provides a massive statement about their electric future. First, it’s futuristic inside and out, offers RWD and AWD versions, has a wheelbase longer than the Palisade mid-sized SUV and Hyundai’s E-GMP global, 800-Volt platform charges fast, really fast. The company known for value now asserts leadership in smart mobility.
What we see challenges design teams at GM, delivering a stunningly 2025 EV, today. Both exterior and interior styling appears to set a standard for separating EVs from their internal combustion predecessors, an invitation to change reminiscent of Chevrolet’s 1953 Corvette introduction. (We do think the emphasis on square pixel dots will pale rather quickly, though now novel.)
Hyundai IONIQ 5 Highlights:
- Two battery pack options, either 58 kWh or 72.6 kWh.
- IONIQ 5 RWD model has 300-mile range (estimate, 72.6 kWh pack), 225 horsepower with 258 lb.-ft. of torque.
- IONIQ 5 AWD model with front and rear motors and 72.6 kWh battery has 320 horsepower, 446 torques, 0-60 mph in about 5 seconds.
- RWD and AWD models can tow 1500 pounds.
- 800-Volt charging system can deliver 60 miles of driving range in 5 minutes, charge from 10% to 80% in under 18 minutes. With 400-volt input, Hyundai says charging speed similar to the best of others.
- Bi-directional charging/output called V2L or Vehicle to Load, one under seats, one outside, can provide 3.6 kWh of power (not Ford’s 7 kW output) for your laptop or other small devices. Enough to charge an e-bike or e-scooter.
Full set of safety technologies from highway driving assist with lane detection/change assist or prevention to forward collision avoidance that includes pedestrians, to more normal things like brake assist, blind-spot warning and high-beam assist.
- Remote smart (parallel) parking.
- Blue Link now includes in-car payment—roll up and the coffee is paid for.
- Interior with flat floor, “sleeper” seat for the driver, sliding center console for mini-van like step-through.
- HUD with Augmented Realty projections like displays of erratic traffic.
- 27 cubic feet of storage, 59 cubes with second seats folded.
- Two 12-inch LED screens deliver information to driver and passenger.
Best of all, the Hyundai IONIQ 5 includes two years of unlimited no-cost 30-minute charging on Electrify America’s network.
To look, https://youtu.be/jLXA6cc7ens