The much anticipated and majorly upgraded 2022 GMC Sierra is here. We’ve got a rundown of what’s new, what trim levels are joining the lineup, and an exclusive full video walkaround.
Last month we received our first look at the nicely upgraded 2022 Chevrolet Silverado. It featured a revised front end, a massively upgraded interior, and a new ZR2 off-road trim level. Now it’s time to see what tricks the 2022 Sierra has up its sleeve.
Introduced during tonight’s MLB Leauge Championship Series game, the highly refreshed Sierra shares a lot with its 2019-2021 predecessor under the skin (there are no major chassis or engine changes), but takes refinement to 11 through the introduction of a new exterior look, an entirely new interior that will blow your socks off, and two new model trim levels designed to increase Sierra’s performance off-road and luxury factor by staggering margins.
2022 GMC Sierra – What’s New
- Refreshed Exterior Design with a new wider grille and headlamp design
- New Approach, Startup, and Walk Away Animations using exterior lighting
- All new interior features an electronic shifter, stitched leather, open-pore wood, and suede headliner on some models.
- Massive 12.3-inch fully digital gauge cluster complements a 13.4-inch infotainment system that features “Google Built-In”. A 15-inch full-color heads-up display is also an option.
- A new Sierra Denali Ultimate Trim Level that features 22-inch wheels, standard Super Cruise, standard 6.2L V8, and premium interior materials.
- New Bose 12-Speaker Surround System with Center Point and noise cancelation
- A New Sierra AT4X Trim level takes off-road capability to the next level. Uses DSSV shocks for superior on and off-road performance. Also includes front and rear e-lockers and one-pedal driving off-road.
- Increased performance from the 2.7L turbocharged four-cylinder engine
- Interested buyers can reserve one immediately at GMC.com
2022 GMC Sierra Denali Ultimate
The first new model GMC is introducing is the Sierra Denali Ultimate. It takes the idea of “fully loaded” to the next level. Sporting Sierra’s all-new front end, Denali Ultimate also includes a suede leather headliner inside, leather-wrapped interior, stitched leather accents, engraved metal accents, and real open-pore wood. The seats and dash wood accents have the topography of Denali embossed into them and also include the latitude and longitude of the mountain in various badges around the vehicle.
Included with all Sierra models, but decked out to the 10’s with Denali Ultimate, is an entirely new interior. Rich stitched leather and open-pore wood with real metal speaker covers bring the Denali experience to new heights. A 12.3-inch fully digital drivers gauge cluster and 13.4-inch infotainment center screen also draw the driver in with a massive upgrade in technology. The infotainment center features “Google Built-In”, which means you can natively install apps from the Google Play Store and run Google Maps as your navigation system without your phone. A 15-inch full-color heads-up display is also included.
The Sierra Denali Ultimate also features all-new 16-way adjustable heated, cooled, and massaging front driver and passenger seats. An all-new 12-speaker Bose Surround System with Centerpoint Technology and a “Richbass” woofer uses noise cancelation technology for audio reproduction perfection.
As announced last year, the Sierra Denali also comes with available Super Cruise. Denali Ultimate will feature Super Cruise standards. The new version of Super Cruise can work while trailering and now over 200k miles of roads are compatible with the system, enabling hands-free driving and lane changes.
2022 GMC Sierra AT4X
You’ve heard the rumors and they turned out to be true. The Sierra AT4X joins the lineup for the new model year. Under the skin, it’s a twin of the Silverado ZR2 and features DSSV spool shocks for increased off-road performance, front and rear locking differential, and a standard 6.2L V8 with 420-horsepower.
The Sierra AT4X’s suspension will have increased suspension travel, a two-speed transfer case, front and rear locking differentials, larger transfer case shielding, and 18-inch black wheels with Goodyear Wrangler DuraTrac Mud-Terrain tires. Accessory rocker guards are also available as an option.
The interior of the AT4X is similar to Denali Ultimate but with its own flair and details. In fact, all 2022 Sierra get the all-new interior, except the base “Pro” level model, which will carry over with last year’s interior outfit.