Get ready for Maps+. If you didn’t get integrated Navigation in your new 2018+ Chevy, GMC, Buick, or Cadillac – GM is about to launch an app just for you.
Maps+, powered by Mapbox, is a new connected services app that GM will offer on many 2018 and newer vehicles that didn’t come from the factory with a navigation system in the infotainment. The service isn’t exactly free however and will require an OnStar Connected Services subscription to allow customers to use the app.
GM says around 900,000 vehicles on the road are eligible for Maps+ and owners of compatible vehicles will be notified when they can download the app starting April 30th, 2021.
Like other connected navigation apps available already, Maps+ will be continually updated with the latest points of interest, road layouts, and road conditions.
Access to Maps+ will require Connected Vehicle, Premium, and App Access subscription plans through OnStar.
Maps+ features include:
- Voice command activation for new destinations and directions with Alexa Built-In
- One simple interface for vehicle navigation and music and podcast selection
Management of favorite locations and points of interest
- Predictive keyboard entry when searching for locations
- Modern map designs with day and night modes
- Shortcuts for search categories, such as coffee, food, fuel, parking, recent spots and favorites
- Contextually Relevant Services
Routing based on real-time traffic and daily updating map data
- Speed limit and road hazard alerts
- Routing to nearby stations if vehicle is low on fuel
- Notifications and alerts about faster routes