As the UAW and General Motors negotiate hard to find a contract solution both parties can live with, we’d like to ask the GM-Trucks.com readership if they have a firm position now. Who do you support?
This writer grew up in a union neighborhood, in a dual-income half-union household. Dad was a union welder, mom worked in retail and was not in a union. Paid union dues himself for a short time (UPS), and watched as those good-paying, blue-collar manufacturing jobs (at General Electric in Lynn Mass.) shrank, and eventually went away. These issues affect many families. Where do you stand?
- If you want some background on the contract that has just expired, click here.
- If you want updated profit sharing info, click here.
- Want to know how much the CEO of GM makes? Click here.
Test your knowledge:
- Which two industries have the highest-paid union members?
- Name the last American President who was a (non-government) union member and his party.
- Name the last (non-government) union-member American President who preceded that president and his party. (Hint, he was actually also a union president).