Two engine choices for the 2021 Chevy Silverado will get added towing capacity while one also gets a price drop of $1,500.
GM-Trucks.com sniffed out changes afoot around the 2021 2.7L Turbo-Four and 3.0L Turbo Diesel engines offered in the Chevy Silverado last month. Our friends at Muscle Cars & Trucks followed up on our exclusive, reporting the 3.0L Duramax would get a $1,500 price drop shortly after.
Now, Chevrolet is officially announcing changes in both the trailering/towing capacity for the two engines and for the price of the 3.0L Duramax.
- The 2.7L Turbo adds thousands of pounds of trailering capacity to every configuration. The popular Crew Cab Short Box model increases its rating by 2,500 pounds to a max capacity of 9,300 pounds in two-wheel drive. A newly available Regular Cab Long Box model provides the maximum 2.7L tow rating of 9,600 pounds and ups Silverado’s overall max payload to 2,280 pounds in 2WD.
- The 3.0L Duramax turbo-diesel adds an additional 1,900 pounds of trailering capacity to nearly every configuration and provides the maximum capacity of 9,500 pounds to 2WD models. The 3.0L Duramax engine also receives a $1,500 MSRP price reduction for 2021 models, so customers benefit from both increased towing capacity and industry-leading EPA-estimated fuel economy of 33 mpg highway in 2WD at a great value.
This is exciting news for light towing enthusiasts and daily driver Silverado owners who can both do more with their new trucks and pay less for them at the same time.
“Chevrolet is confident these engines meet or exceed most trailering needs, as 96 percent of light-duty pickup owners tow less than 10,000 pounds, according to data from MaritzCX an InMoment Company. Additional testing and validation revealed the 2.7L Turbo possesses better-than-expected cooling performance, while the 3.0L Duramax improvements are attributed to the better-than-expected rear axle durability. Chevrolet engineers recertified both engines to the SAE J2807 standard with impressive results.”
The brand also announced a slew of additional features for the new model year Silverado, including:
- New Trailering Technology for 2021
- 2021 Chevrolet Silverado Multi-Flex Tailgate
- High Country will have adaptive ride control
- Bonus Features for Each Trim Level
Editor’s Note: This story originally noted that both the 2.7L and 3.0L engines would have a $1,500 price reduction, however only the 3.0L Duramax will be reduced by $1,500.