Has anyone with the Max Tow package (NHT) had this vibration? I haven't noticed anyone complain yet.

It would definitely give us a clue to what is causing the vibrations. Is it possible the larger 9.76" rear axle with 3.73 ratio, revised shock tuning for increased control, and heavy duty rear springs eliminate vibration.

Has anyone with the Max Tow package (NHT) had this vibration? I haven't noticed anyone complain yet.

It would definitely give us a clue to what is causing the vibrations. Is it possible the larger 9.76" rear axle with 3.73 ratio, revised shock tuning for increased control, and heavy duty rear springs eliminate vibration.

My 2014 Sierra was equipped with the NHT package and was bought back by GM for the unsolvable vibration issue. I was told months later by my dealer that GM ended up replacing both front axles which "supposedly" solved the issue and allowed GM to actually sell the truck. I was promised by my dealer that the issue wouldnt bleed into the 2015 model year and that was just a bunch shit.....my 2015 replacement Sierra vibrated, but I will say that it was not as bad as my 2014. Any hope that they will cure this issue for the 2016 model year would be slim.

Welll

My 2014 Sierra was equipped with the NHT package and was bought back by GM for the unsolvable vibration issue. I was told months later by my dealer that GM ended up replacing both front axles which "supposedly" solved the issue and allowed GM to actually sell the truck. I was promised by my dealer that the issue wouldnt bleed into the 2015 model year and that was just a bunch shit.....my 2015 replacement Sierra vibrated, but I will say that it was not as bad as my 2014. Any hope that they will cure this issue for the 2016 model year would be slim.

Well.....so much for that theory!

Welll

Well.....so much for that theory!

Ha.....sorry to be the bearer of bad news! Based on the research that I have done, there is really no rhyme or reason for the vibrations these trucks produce. Some people have different symptoms (vibrations/shakes/shimmies) that are produced at various speeds. Some people dont have any issues. Some of the problems have been cured by dozens of different fixes, but most dont get fixed. I guess only god and maybe some top GM engineers know why lol. Just a damn shame......

I guess I will join the club. I have a 2014 chevrolet silverado 1500 crew cab 4x4 Lt that has had a vibration issue from the start. The first time I took it to the shop they put four new tires on. That did not help at all. Today I have been waiting at the dealer for over an hour and a half for them to check my pinion angle. I have had nothing but chevrolet for the past 12 years and with only 4800 miles this has been the worst most expensive vehicle I have ever owned. Not to mention the squeaky seat, the dash that rattles or the head lights that fog up. Way to go GM for making such a quality product.

Getting mine back after 2nd time for steering vibration. First trip they balanced tires. Now they replaced "one" tire. Looks like I'll be taking it back in a week or two and then start on lemon law suit. The new F150 is looking good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

been gone a while, nothing to do but wait so I occupied myself with not thinking about this anymore.

anyway I came back for an update to my issue.

as of 5/18/15 GM agreed to and has been ordered by the judge in writing as part of the settlement to buy back my truck at full cost plus all insurance premiums, sales taxes, and trade in value, in short, im made completely whole by this decission.

for those who missed it I went through BBB and the GM rep which was a joke and a waste of time then I finally skipped arbitration upon the advice of my lawyer who said it would only give then a preview of your argument when then denied you at arbitration and forced you to get a lawyer anyway. now arbitration will work if you want another replacement truck but if you want your money back then the arbitration person will just tell you to go take a hike.

so to wrap up:

I bought my truck in 8/27/14 and had the bad vibration they couldn't fix and wasted two months with BBB and GM rep until finally in october I had to get a lawyer and file lemon law in civil court and here I am 6 months later finally with a resolution due in no small part to the youtube video I made that GM did not want shown to a jury in open court not to mention they had to convince the jury nothing was wrong with my truck and as soon as they saw the video there was no way they would buy GMs claim there was nothing wrong with the truck.

if you are interested the video is here:

I urge any of you who are still fighting this, to make and upload your own video to youtube it can make a difference as it did in my case. they can lie all they want but the video shows the truth they cannot hide from.

I pray the rest of you get the help you need because what GM is doing to people is a crime

Edited by keakar
  • Like 1

I put this in a separate post because many wont want to read all this but I feel many here go through the same so I will post my notes from start to finish with my ordeal in the hopes it helps someone else and reassures others that WE are not going to figure this out because it is a design flaw with the vehicle and its just something in the way they are designed that makes them vibrate. anyway here goes the big long story:

Progress report for vibration issues with my truck

8/27/14 Wednesday

purchased truck without test driving it because it was blocked in by other trucks and since I have owned short wheel base regular cab trucks for 35 years I know how the ride feels and so I didn't feel it was necessary since I trusted that I was buying GM quality and peace of mind. what a big damn mistake that turned out to be but in truth they wouldn't have let me get on the freeway to get up to 70 mph anyway so I wouldn't have noticed the vibration on a local test drive anyway.

on the ride home I felt the vibration and called the dealership to report it and they said it was probably just flat spots on the tires but I should drive it a little bit to see if it goes away and if not then bring it back in to have it checked out. I went for a drive to put 200 miles on it, but the vibration was still there so I set up an appointment to get it serviced to fix the problem.

8/29/14 Friday

I dropped truck off at service dept with 207 miles on it and they went test drive it while I waited in the waiting room for 3 1/2 hours for them to just test drive the vehicle even though I had made an appointment.

they reported that they definitely did feel the vibration but GM required I put 500 miles on it before they could balance the tires so I left and over the weekend I put the remainder of the GM requirement of putting 500 miles on the truck before they can balance the tires. they don't do service on weekends and Monday was a holiday so I set up an appointment for Tuesday.

9/2/14 Tuesday

at 7:30 am I dropped truck off at service dept with 525 miles on it and they sent the tires to an outside retailer to get the tires road forced balanced and at 11:30 they finally said it was fixed and that the tires were found to be "way out" but it was fixed now and they no longer felt any vibrations when they drove it back to the dealership.

I went for a test drive with Robert the service manager and the vibration was not as strong as it first was but it was still there to the degree that it could not be ignored or denied. he agreed that he still felt it too and he said if I wanted him to, he would put 4 brand new tires on the truck to solve the problem and I said there was no choice and it had to be done because the truck was unacceptable in its present condition of operation.

9/2/14 Tuesday

they took the truck back into the service dept to perform a second repair attempt for the same problem, on the same day, on this vehicle and I went back to the waiting room.

at 3:00 pm they said the truck was ready and they no longer felt any vibrations so we went for another test drive and the same strong vibrations were there as the first time. I asked if they road force balanced the new tires and he said he didn't put new tires on the truck, he had only swapped out the tires and rims from another truck on the lot. he said if I wanted him to, he would get me a rental truck and in the morning he would send my truck out to get this different set of tires and rims road force balanced as well because it was too late in the day to get it done today. so that is what we did.

9/4/14 Thursday

around 3:00 Thursday they called and said it was fixed now and they no longer felt any vibrations.

when I picked the truck up, people were getting off of work and it was raining and Robert the service manager wasn't there so we did not test drive the vehicle together.

on the way home the vibration was still there so I called them to say it was still the same level of vibration as after the first set of tires were road force balanced but neither road force balance solved the problem to fix the vibration issues so something else must be causing it. it and they said to bring it in and they would check it out.

I also noticed on the ride home that they had put an additional 60 miles driven on the truck which seams very excessive for a test drive. they claimed they always put a bunch of miles on trucks when test driving them.

I also noted that the wheel balancing weights were put on the outside of the rims marring the chrome finish and just spoils the whole look of the wheels.

they claimed they cant balance tires without putting weights on the outside of the rims where you will see them.

maybe they need to talk to all the tire dealers who can and do balance tires just fine without needing to put visible weights on the outside of the rim

9/5/14 Thursday

at 8:00 am I dropped truck off at service dept with 627 miles on it and I was to be given a loaner truck to use while it was being fixed.

around 4:00 pm they called and said it was ready and they still felt the vibration but it was just a normal thing with these trucks and all trucks are supposed to vibrate.

I asked what they did to the truck and they said they didn't do anything to it but test drive it again.

they said all the trucks on the lot vibrate the same way so the trucks are designed to vibrate like that, which is pure bull.

I asked them why they didn't look into something else besides the tires and rims being the cause because obviously what they have done has eliminated them as being the possible problem with the vehicle.

they said they considered the issue to be resolved and would not do any more repair attempts on this vehicle for this same issue unless a new and different vibration or issue started.

Since Best Chevrolet refused to try to fix the problem anymore, I went to my local Chevy dealership so they could look into the issue and try to fix this truck.

9/9/14 Tuesday

at 7:30 am I dropped truck off at the service dept of my local Rainbow Chevrolet dealership to have them try to find the problem and fix.

around 1:00 pm the service guy called and said I could come in to pick it up. when I got there he explained that while he definitely does feel it vibrating. he said he checked everything out and cant find the problem and there is no known fix for this problem at this time that he knows of and he even has another truck in the shop for the same vibration issue and he cannot find a fix for that truck either. he said he was sorry but if GM does come out with a recall or a service bulletin on how to fix the issue he would call me to bring it in to get it fixed.

9/914 Tuesday

I went home and researched lemon law and filed a claim with BBB.

9/10/14 Wednesday

I received a call about my case from Patricia who can be reached at 1-866-790-5700 ext #21129

she give me my case # 711356983376 and said she will be gathering all the service records to review the situation and she will be calling me back on Monday 9/15/14 at around 1:00 pm

Throughout this whole ordeal the service dept at Best Chevy kept saying they no longer felt any vibration only to have to admit they did indeed feel it vibrating when I was in the truck with them so they are proven to be deliberately lying on the paperwork trying to imply there is no issue when clearly there is an issue and they cannot or will not fix it so they intentionally lie on the paperwork to try to say the problem does not exist. I even had to have them rewrite one of the service tickets when they tried to completely omit any mention of the vibration issue as being part of that service repair attempt. while the people there were very polite and pleasant to talk with, they left the distinct impression they were doing all they could to try to cover up and deny I have an issue and treat me as if I am stupid and never drove a truck before.

9/15/14 Monday 1:46 pm

Patricia failed to call me at our 1:00 pm appointment time so I called her. she informed me she did not receive any reply from the dealership about her request for information about my truck. she said she would resend the request for information and call me back in a few days when she received it.

9/19/14 Friday 3:15 pm

having not heard from her all week I called Patricia and she said she still hasn't received any information about my truck. I told her I wasn't surprised since they cant find out whets wrong with it or fix it and don't want to get blamed for it. she said she would try again and would be able to give me some sort of answer about my buy back request by Monday at 4:30 when she said she would call me or maybe sooner if she got the info she was looking for.

9/22/14 Monday 5:00 pm

having not heard from her, I called Patricia only to get her voice mail and tried again 3 more times at 5:15 pm, 5:25 pm, and 5:46 pm with no luck in getting through to her.

I left a message for her saying I assume since she didn't call me, that she didn't have the info about my truck from the dealership and if that was the case then it was clearly obvious they are not willing to provide it so I requested she move forward with the case and set up a time and place for me to turn the truck in and transfer the ownership back to GM and get my buy back. I hope this can be done quickly.

9/23/14 Tuesday 9:00 am

I called Patricia only to get her voice mail and tried again 3 times between 9-10 am and then I called once every hour for the next 4 hours with no luck in getting through to her. Finally I gave up and just left another voice mail telling her I need to know when and were to drop my truck off to do the paperwork to complete the buy back process. we shall see if I hear back from her and what she has to say.

9/24/14 Wednesday 9:00 am

I called Patricia only to get her voice mail and tried again 3 or 4 times during the day and I made a similar attempt to contact her over the next two weeks and was never able to speak to her or get an email reply from her or even a return phone call about my case. I don't recall the date but I believe it was around 10/1/14 or 10/2/14 I called the BBB and reported that I could not get a response or make contact with Patricia and I had concerns my case was not proceeding forward in a timely manner.

10/3/14 Friday 5:00 pm

I got a call from Patricia to tell me that they were not going to buy my truck back just because of flat spots on the tires and that it was not a warranty issue problem. I replied that they had already replaced all the tires and rims so it was obviously NOT a flat spot tire issue as she claims it to be. that comment was met with 10 seconds of dead silence as she could not think of how to reply to being caught in a lie.

Finally the silence was broken by a sigh from her and then she said in a firm tone that, "well that is my decision and if you want to proceed any further with this complaint I cannot help you" then she offered to have the shop look at it again to see if they could fix the issue. I responded that since two different shops said they couldn't fix it and would not look at the issue anymore because GM does not have a recommended fix for the issue. I also stated that Best Chevrolet actually told me that I would have to pay them to have them check it again for the same issue because GM would not pay them to look at it again. she said she could speak to them about it but I told her I was done trying to fix this lemon and I wanted to go to the next step whatever that might be.

10/17/14 Friday (not sure of the time)

the BBB called and informed me they were setting up an arbitration hearing with a GM representative to address my complaint.

10/17/14 Friday 6:00 pm

I decided maybe I needed to just get a good lawyer and stop wasting my time with all this BS since at the arbitration hearing, it may still be left up to GM to decide what happens with my truck.

10/20/14 Tuesday 9:30 am

I received a phone call from BBB with a mediated conference call with GM and they offered me a $30,300 buyback trade-in value to purchase a new truck with from them. I told her I already purchased a replacement truck but I would still be interested in getting the cash buyback in that same amount if they could do that. she said she would check on it and get back to me by Thursday 10/23/14.

10/20/14 Tuesday 11:00 am

met with lemon law lawyer about having him represent me in a lemon law case for my truck. I mentioned the call I just had earlier today and I told him lets get everything set up to be ready to start a case but not actually start a case yet until after I hear back if GM will do the buyback without needing to go to court over it.

10/24/14 Friday 5:45 pm

I did not receive a phone call on Thursday as promised so I must assume they did not accept my counter proposal of exactly what they offered but not contingent on purchasing another vehicle. I called the lawyer and told him to file the case.

Edited by keakar
  • Like 2

Here's something to consider. Every generation the big three try to one-up the others with bigger numbers. Bigger numbers sell trucks. More horsepower. More torque. More trailer towing capacity. More payload. So, along comes GM's latest half-ton offering. Consider the crew cab, short box, 4wd version:

Payload = 1790lb and 2210lb with the Max package.

Trailering capacity = 9200lb and 11,800lb with the Max package.

11,800?? For a half ton? Are you fricken kidding! My 1998 Z71 Silverado had a trailer tow capacity of 7500lb and a payload of about 1500lb. So, these new trucks have as hit load more capacity. At what expense? Ride quality, especially when unloaded, maybe?

Remember the old days, when a 1 ton rode like it had no suspension at all, until you loaded it up. Rough as hell. How do you think GM gets the higher load capacities? Yea, I understand higher strength steel and all that. But, stiffer suspensions, combined with stiffer frames and bodies add up to one thing, and one thing only - no energy absorption. Every vibration gets passes along when you make something light and stiff. And that's exactly what these new trucks (and SUVs) are. And we feel it all. The ride gets very "bouncy".

I remember my 98 Silverado. Had kind of a choppy ride when it was unloaded. Load it up and it rode great. My 2005 2500HD Duramax was the same, only more so. My current 2011 F350 Superduty is the similar. And yes, the seat passenger seat jiggles enough that I can see it when no one is sitting in it and the truck is completely unloaded. Load it up, and everything calms down. And, the 1 ton weighs about 2000lb more than the half tons, so can dampen (absorb) some of of the normal vibrations.

I'm not saying the new trucks are normal. Or right. GM owes us better. But, we might be up against the wall here.

Here's a question for everyone experiencing the various vibrations issues - does your truck exhibit the same behaviour when you load it up to it's maximum payload? Has anyone tried? Because somewhere along the line, buying a truck capable of towing an 11,800lb trailer to get groceries and still be light enough to get great mileage just might come with some compromises. We expect, and deserve, more, but that might be where GM dropped the ball.

(FYI, there is one fellow in the HD forum on this website who has reported that his HD has some vibration but when he's pulling his trailer, it's smooth as silk!)

Edited by Wrench589

been gone a while, nothing to do but wait so I occupied myself with not thinking about this anymore.

anyway I came back for an update to my issue.

as of 5/18/15 GM agreed to and has been ordered by the judge in writing as part of the settlement to buy back my truck at full cost plus all insurance premiums, sales taxes, and trade in value, in short, im made completely whole by this decission.

for those who missed it I went through BBB and the GM rep which was a joke and a waste of time then I finally skipped arbitration upon the advice of my lawyer who said it would only give then a preview of your argument when then denied you at arbitration and forced you to get a lawyer anyway. now arbitration will work if you want another replacement truck but if you want your money back then the arbitration person will just tell you to go take a hike.

so to wrap up:

I bought my truck in 8/27/14 and had the bad vibration they couldn't fix and wasted two months with BBB and GM rep until finally in october I had to get a lawyer and file lemon law in civil court and here I am 6 months later finally with a resolution due in no small part to the youtube video I made that GM did not want shown to a jury in open court not to mention they had to convince the jury nothing was wrong with my truck and as soon as they saw the video there was no way they would buy GMs claim there was nothing wrong with the truck.

if you are interested the video is here:

I urge any of you who are still fighting this, to make and upload your own video to youtube it can make a difference as it did in my case. they can lie all they want but the video shows the truth they cannot hide from.

I pray the rest of you get the help you need because what GM is doing to people is a crime

Great Post !

I also STRONGLY suggest to keep a log of every conversation with dates and times along with the names

of the contacts.

Here's a question for everyone experiencing the various vibrations issues - does your truck exhibit the same behaviour when you load it up to it's maximum payload?

I posted at some point maybe in this thread that when I loaded my truck up with firewood, it ride like a Cadillac sedan.....smooth as silk. I stopped worrying about vibrations after that trip.

Edited by Silverado-Hareek

I posted at some point maybe in this thread that when I loaded my truck up with firewood, it ride like a Cadillac sedan.....smooth as silk. I stopped worrying about vibrations after that trip.

I did a test on mine on the way home from key west once. I had vibrations on my second truck and I suspected frame beaming like the HD trucks. I stopped at Home Depot in key west and bought 20 60 lb bags of sand for my drive home. I drove 400 miles with the same vibration as unloaded. Needless to say, I returned the 20 bags of sand at my local Home Depot that day, and the next day bought a new set of LT 275 70 18 Terra Grapplers. Been smooth ever since. (Knock on wood) I put the LT tires on my truck with 1500 miles on it BC I didn't want to fight the dealer again. I've been to Tennessee, Orlando, Daytona and Savannah several times for about 2/3 of the 15 k now on the highway. There are 4-5 different vibration complaints in this thread and mine indeed was the tires.