Articles

Articles

Articles

'17 Camaro V6 1LE or V8 1LE - Which Would You Choose?

Gorehamj
  • John Goreham
    Contributing Writer, GM-Trucks.com
    2/10/2016
    Having had the opportunity to drive the ZL1, Z/28, SS, and 1LE versions of the prior generation of Camaro on the track and on the road, my overall favorite remains the ZL1. However, when price is factored in, the 1LE would be my choice for a track-day Camaro. During one track session, I had the chance to have a Chevy engineer in my passenger seat offering driving tips. His personal vehicle was a 1LE he bought new for less than $34K off a dealer lot. Not everyone got that deal, but they were out there.

https://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/uploads/monthly_02_2016/ccs-137145-0-73591600-1455118330.jpg,monthly_02_2016/ccs-137145-0-43163000-1455118331.jpg

The 1LE is the track-package for the Camaro. In years past it was applied to V8 Camaros (1SS). That will continue in 2017 on the new generation. On the 1SS, the 1LE package includes magnetic ride control, with a new FE4 suspension tuning and a new, segment-exclusive electronic limited slip differential (eLSD), and Goodyear Eagle F1 tires. Optional features will include Recaro seats and a Performance Data Recorder (PDR).
ccs-137145-0-73591600-1455118330_thumb.jpg
Interestingly, Chevy is offering a 1LE package on the 3.6-liter V6 equipped 1LT and 2LT coupes this year. The magnetic ride control is not part of the V6 deal. Instead, the cars get aggressive suspension tuning, standard Brembo brakes and Goodyear Eagle F1 tires. The Recaro seats and PDR will be options. See the full equipment list below.

ccs-137145-0-43163000-1455118331_thumb.jpg

I have a Cadillac CTS4 with the 3.6-liter V6 in my driveway as I write this. It is an excellent on-road engine in cars the weight of the Camaro. I have great respect for that engine and depending upon price levels the 1LE package with the V6 may be a very interesting car. Still, it would be hard to imagine adding a track-capable suspension to a new Camaro given the affordability of the V8 in this car. On the other hand, Al Oppenheiser, Camaro chief engineer says that “In our development tests, the V-6 Camaro 1LE delivers lap times comparable with the previous-gen V-8 model.” This is mostly due to the under-3500 pound weight of the V6 car.

What say you GM-trucks people? Would you consider a 2017 V6 1LE if it is as fast as a last-generation V8 1LE?

Image Notes: Green car is the V6. Black car is the V8.

V6 LT 1LE Package:
◾3.6L V-6 rated at 335 horsepower and matched with the six-speed manual transmission
◾FE3 suspension components (from the Camaro SS), including dampers, rear cradle mounts, ball-jointed rear toe links and stabilizer bars
◾Lightweight 20-inch forged aluminum wheels with Goodyear Eagle F1 245/40R20 front tires and 275/35R20 rear tires
◾Brembo 4-piston front brake calipers
◾Mechanical Limited-slip differential with 3.27 ratio
◾Standard track-cooling package, with engine oil, differential and transmission coolers
◾Suede steering wheel and shorter-throw shifter
◾Standard dual mode exhaust system
◾Camaro SS fuel system for higher-load cornering capability
◾Satin black hood, front splitter and unique three-piece rear spoiler
◾Unique high flow upper and lower grille with satin black accents
◾Available Recaro seats and PDR video/data recording system.
V8 SS 1LE Package:
◾6.2L LT1 V-8 rated at 455 horsepower, and six-speed manual transmission (automatic transmission not available)
◾Magnetic Ride Control
◾Segment-exclusive electronic limited-slip differential with 3.73 ratio
◾Unique forged aluminum wheels with 285/30ZR20 front tires and 305/30ZR20 rear tires
◾Goodyear Eagle F1 Supercar tires with a compound and construction developed exclusively for the Camaro – offering exceptional grip on the track
◾Brembo brakes with new six-piston monobloc front red calipers – featuring the 1LE logo – and two-piece rotors. Measuring 14.6 inches (370mm) in diameter, the front rotors are 7 percent larger than Camaro SS
◾Track-cooling package, with engine oil, differential and transmission coolers
◾Suede steering wheel with shorter-throw shifter
◾Dual mode exhaust system
◾Recaro front seats with aggressive bolsters optimized for shifting and steering comfort
◾Satin black hood, front mirrors and unique three-piece rear spoiler
◾Satin Graphite front splitter and rear diffuser
◾Available PDR video/data recording system.

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

There are no comments to display.

Add a comment...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.