2009 5.3 Stabilitrak Traction Control Problems

• 4 years later...

Just to share my experience to hopefully help someone else, we have experienced the same issues with our 2008 suburban. For several days we have searched and read countless sites trying to find what was causing the rough idle, stabilitrak warning, and the hard shift from 1st to 2nd... After going by advance auto, O'Reilly's, and Auto Zone and having them hook up the code reader, we kept getting several codes. From oil pressure sensor warnings (which I replaced first) to a warning related to the stabilitrak needing serviced. But the code that turned out to be the fix to our issues was the multiple misfires on our number 7 spark plug. One of the guys at AutoZone suggested that it was most likely the coil pack that was the problem. With the vehicle running rougher and rougher I (not a mechanic by no means) swapped the ignition coil pack on #7 with #5 to see if the misfire code would then switch to #5 as well. Running rough I went back to two different stores to run the diagnostics and it was still showing up as the #7 misfiring. At that point the automotive angel nudged me to go ahead and buy a new spark plug. After an hour of trying to find my socket wrench and busting a knuckle getting the old spark plug out, I was a little shocked to see the old spark plug corroded and pretty ugly to look at. I got the new plug in and crossed my first fingers... And upon starting her up she ran like a top. No more warning lights... No more service the stabilitrak errors... And everything seems to be great. Not sure if this will fix everyone's problem, but after $7 for a new plug and a skinned knuckle the problem seems to be fixed. Hope this helps someone and good luck!

• 4 years later...
  • 11 months later...

09 GMC Sierra 5.3. 95k miles. 10 July 2020 I started having trac control off and service stablitrak light come on randomly with occasional power loss. GM checked everything (not) but due to high oil consumption (2 qts in a month) I had them change out the PCV w/valve cover (they're married), plugs n wires. Over the next 2 weeks my doors would lock/unlock on their own, seatbelt and airbag lights randomly on and trac/stablitrak still intermittently on and still dropped a qt of oil.  Twice had to pull over due to loss of power, wait 5 or so minutes, restart, then drive. Sometime during week 3 my battery went dead after vehicle alarm randomly went off with multiple relays continually clicking. Disconnected and charged the battery. Then I thought, "too many electrical problems happening here". Decided to clean all negative battery cable terminals (battery, engine terminal and chassis terminal). Drove 10 miles with no repeats. Now, Oct 28th, 3+ months, still running great and zero oil consumption. Wow!  But, it all started with trac/stablitrak fault indications and power loss.

• Like 1