Borg-warner T5 For 1974 C-10

Hi:

I have a 1974 Chev C-10 2WD stepside with a 350 mated to a 4-speed saginaw and 3.73 rears. I have had it for 20 years and now just may need to make the truck my daily driver. The problem is that even at 50 mph, it is winding out high RPMs. I need to increase MPG and want to do this by lowering engine revs. Then maybe after that go for a 4 barrel carb.

My idea is to buy a Borg-Warner T-5 (came out of a 90s? Ford) for a hundred bucks from a guy at work. First off, is this an overdrive or is fifth gear still 1 to 1? Second, does anybody know if it will bolt up to the existing bellhousing? I don't want to go the 700R4 route since I want to keep a standard transmission in it.

Oh yeah, the reason for this post is the fact that my job got threatened just after I traded in my 2006 GMC for that 2011 GMC 4.3L W/T a month ago and am thinking I may need to sell it and go back to the old truck.

Thanks in advance to anybody who can offer any ideas or advice. Planning on cross posting this to Classic Trucks as well.

Depp

• 1 month later...

Yes it is overdrive in 5th.

I wouldn't do it. Does the T5 have a hydraulic clutch? If so that's problem number 1.

Ford bellhousing obviously won't bolt to the Chevy. Some Ford T5s have the same trans to bell mounting pattern and some are not. A common swap onto an older SBC is a T5 from an S10. It still requires some adaptation. Camaro/Firebird T5 can be used but those chassis mount the trans on an angle thuse requiring a special trans mount. It also makes shift linkage more difficult.

T5's are not the strongest in the world. Regular (non World Class) T5 is not nearly as strong as the Saginaw.

I wouldn't do it. Does the T5 have a hydraulic clutch? If so that's problem number 1.

Ford bellhousing obviously won't bolt to the Chevy. Some Ford T5s have the same trans to bell mounting pattern and some are not. A common swap onto an older SBC is a T5 from an S10. It still requires some adaptation. Camaro/Firebird T5 can be used but those chassis mount the trans on an angle thuse requiring a special trans mount. It also makes shift linkage more difficult.

T5's are not the strongest in the world. Regular (non World Class) T5 is not nearly as strong as the Saginaw.

They guy never got back to me and from what you say it is a bad idea. Thanks for the input and Merry Christmas,

Depp

• 1 month later...

Archived