Maintenance questions

Harvey Halabookie

Question

1) I bought a new PCV valve for the 4.8L in my '04 Yukon. I pulled off the rubber hose/plastic pipe where it attached to the valve. I tried pulling the valve out but it wouldn't budge. I then tried a pair of vise grips and it still didn't move. I didn't want to continue with fear of damaging it. What gives here? Is the valve installed from below the valve cover? Should I try to yank on it harder? I don't want to break anything.

2) My Helm manual shows the location of the fuel filter inside the driver side frame rail, but there is no filter visible on the truck. I traced all the lines and no filter. I asked in the Light Duty truck forum about this and was told that my truck has a filter in the tank. If this is true, is the part available from the dealer or is it integral with the pump/pickup assembly? Or do they mean the "sock" screen at the end of the pickup tube on other cars? A clogged filter cuses poor performance and this would be a bad design. If there is no filter, the injectors will get clogged. Would it be wise to fabricate a holder and install an aftermarket filter in-line?

Thanks for the help. I'm beginning to pull my hair out!

0 answers to this question

Besides no longer having a serviceable fuel filter, many no longer have a PCV valve. I had to go to parts to find out for sure, because some do and some don't, and a PCV valve is not listed for an '04 with a 4.8.

Wow. Thanks. So I guess the "PCV" is part of the valve cover on my truck. Interesting because the dealer parts department sold me the part.

If the fuel filter is not "serviceable" as you said, does that mean there is one or isn't one? I'm just thinking about whether or not to put in an aftermarket one. If I get real ambitious, maybee I'll drop the tank to see what it looks like. Of course I'll post some pics for all to see.

Thanks again!

If the fuel filter is not "serviceable" as you said, does that mean there is one or isn't one?

There is one, it's just part of the fuel pump module assembly. It's considered a "lifetime" filter. We'll see. :cheers:

Archived