What to Lube Rubber Mounts With?

silverado04

Question

Well I figure if anyone should know or could tell me it has to be the GM Expert..

so as the topic ask, what is the best lube for Rubber Mounts? as in Body Mounts...

Something or someway to stop them from creaking squeaking and DRIVING ME NUTS!!

is there any homebrew fixs? I have been thinking of plastic placed between the mount and the body and the mount and the frame...

Say like a nylon type or what????

Please give me the once and for all fix for the things.. Thanks Kindly

0 answers to this question

I understand what your saying but GM Does infact offer the same (mounting type) steps as a option..

Anyway I did not change the bolts, they are the factory bolts. also as I said before it done this before the addition of the boards/steps.

Where could I find some thin sheets of teflon or such?

Thanks for the help

just my 2 cents but ithik ive got the same prob on my 99ext z71 and my squeak is on the driver side corner of the firewall me and a dealer service adviser think its the e-brake assembly that comes up through the firewall i have tried some silicone spray on the rubber around the cable where it comes into the truck but i havent taken a great pain with it but it is very annoying when turning or going over bumps at low speeds just pop the panel off where the e-brake pedal is and pull the carpet back and have someone bounce the truck so you can listen .let me know if this is the same as my prob.

I understand what your saying but GM Does infact offer the same (mounting type) steps as a option..

Yes, GM does offer that TYPE, but they apparently ain't the same because we have no problems with noises from those, just the aftermarket type. I haven't investigated the differences, so I couldn't say exactly why.

GM has no recommended lube for body mounts, so I'm not so sure I'm an expert in this case. :D I would use a silicone paste, but I don't believe I've ever seen a truck with squeaky body mounts. Pop or snap, yes, but not squeak. How do you know for sure it's the body mounts?

GM has no recommended lube for body mounts, so I'm not so sure I'm an expert in this case.  :D  I would use a silicone paste, but I don't believe I've ever seen a truck with squeaky body mounts. Pop or snap, yes, but not squeak.  How do you know for sure it's the body mounts?

I use silicone spray lube myself and I also use it on door seals, especailly during the winter as it will prevent your doors from freezing shut in cold weather too when seals get wet and tempature drops. It works like a dream for that.

The best thing in the world for weatherstrips is a product called Krytox. GM carries it as part number 3634770.  Expensive, but better than spray silicones.

Maybe but silicone is cheap, easy to find and repels water well and it is likely that the GM product has silicone or Telon in it or a mixture of both of them. With spray silicone, a lot of it is vehical (propellant and carrier to deposit the silicone) so I usually go over it heavy or sometime twice but it will last for some time too.

GM has no recommended lube for body mounts, so I'm not so sure I'm an expert in this case.  :D  I would use a silicone paste, but I don't believe I've ever seen a truck with squeaky body mounts. Pop or snap, yes, but not squeak.  How do you know for sure it's the body mounts?

It is not really a squeak but for lack of a better way to describe it I used the word squeak.. (my bad)

it is like creaking or popping, a rubbing/rattle type noise at low speed and braking, also I can dup it by grabbing my running boards which mount to the body mount bolts.. I can spry the mounts and it is silent.. but it does not last but just a day or so...

It done this before I put them on and still does it. I only have about 1400 miles on the truck and can not believe they make so much noise.. sounds bad.

The big washers are all rusty they was rusty looking Brand new... on the dealers lot with 5 miles on it.. not sure if it matters or not but I would have thought they would have had something on them to stop that?

So I need to find a fix for the thing. something that would last for a couple years?

I will be looking into this until I find a fix, I thought about a thin shim of nylon or plastic or leather or somthing between the contact of the rubber and body and frame?

Just don't know what to try, and what to use for the shims? or if any of it would work or be worth while?

It is not really a squeak but for lack of a better way to describe it I used the word squeak.. (my bad)

it is like creaking or popping, a rubbing/rattle type noise at low speed and braking, also I can dup it by grabbing my running boards which mount to the body mount bolts.. I can spry the mounts and it is silent.. but it does not last but just a day or so...

It done this before I put them on and still does it. I only have about 1400 miles on the truck and can not believe they make so much noise.. sounds bad.

The big washers are all rusty they was rusty looking Brand new... on the dealers lot with 5 miles on it.. not sure if it matters or not but I would have thought they would have had something on them to stop that?

So I need to find a fix for the thing. something that would last for a couple years?

I will be looking into this until I find a fix, I thought about a thin shim of nylon or plastic or leather or somthing between the contact of the rubber and body and frame?

Just don't know what to try, and what to use for the shims? or if any of it would work or be worth while?

A thin teflon sheet trimmed to fit would do the trick and last a long time too. YOu could lube/grease the washers and see if that helps as with heavy grease it should last several years.

I can dup it by grabbing my running boards which mount to the body mount bolts

Bingo. We get plenty of these in with aftermarket running boards and complaints of noises. We don't attempt to fix them because they're not factory stuff, but I'd check and make sure the bolts used through the body mounts are not too long, passing all the way through and bottoming out. A little grease (choose your favorite) under contact points might help.

Archived