Parking Brake Goes Out

I just came home and after I turned it off, I pushed the parking brake down. Then BANG, the pedal goes down to the floor and the truck rolled a little while I removed my foot from the brake. I looked at it it seems a spring popped off and the pedal goes down to the floor and the parking brake cable DOES NOT MOVE with no ratcheting action or noise! Right now the truck is in first gear, but I can still budge the truck a little with it in gear. The brakes are not dragging like if it is not on. That's scary. I have a 2005 GMC Sierra 1500 V6 manual trans, with drums.

:D The parking brake pedal design is totally different than the full metal ones off the 1978 GMC. The GM engineers added some tension device to the pedal, that broke! :seeya:

The cable is perfect, it just that the pedal is not pulling on the cable. It still attached to the end of the cam in the brake pedal mechanism. The problem lies within the pedal cam; the the pedal should turn the cam, the outside of the cam pulls on the end of the cable engaging the brakes. That is the problem, it is inside the parking brake pedal tension cam. Those are not there in a older truck. Just a simple pedal is part of a hemispherical metal groove that holds and pulls the cable tight as you push the pedal down.

I know I have to get it fixed somehow, preferably myself, to repair. i can't seem to find anything describing my problem, or any new parts to replace.

I know it's a pain to be under there for long periods of time. I did that to almost every vehicle I had to remove stuff, from a 78 GMC, a 2000 Impala to my truck. The easiest was the Impala, I could just push the seat far back and "upside down sitting" to do work. Like measuring the resistance of the dual zone temperature actuator. I'll just take it in, I hope it wont cost much. I am too busy to spend several hours to do that, I have no time. Thank you for your advice.

• 3 weeks later...

Just to update all you guys. Yesterday, while I was driving my truck to the dealership to get it fixed.

But I got rear-ended by a late eighties Toyota Corolla. It kind of sad, but that's life. So, know I have to get stuff done to everything back together and find another truck. I might end up buying a Tundra, because I want a truck with a manual, and base model too. I had fun the past three and a half years. Just as I thought I might keep the truck forever, this happens. I think the car was going about 50 mph, no slowing down and hit me. My leaf springs had buckled, the hitch pushed down 50 degrees, and the rear windshield is gone. Also my glasses ended up in the bed too.

Sad update, but I had to say it here first. :P

Archived