Rain is giving us a break so I finally got a chance to wash and shine. Also, I like to take a run up the highway to blow most of the water off before drying and for some reason decided to try the trailer mode. I tried it once when I first bought the truck and noticed it shifted firmer at higher rpm but this was the first time under hard acceleration and it was like I unleashed “performance mode” as this thing lit up that on ramp like greased lightning! (I got such a jolt I went down and up several ramps just to do it a few more times! ?)
I made a little cover for the seat belt mechanism and installed an M8 bolt so I could mount the jack tools using the original hardware. I also added the mesh storage pocket and mounted my Maglite under the amp.
I quickly realized I could not listen to this simple system since I had no way to fine tune it so the platform with quick connect wiring and replaceable grommets proved super beneficial as it only took me 20 minutes to remove the entire setup as well as made it easy to swap gear. I had already installed the JL TWK88 in a friends car so I installed a Dayton Audio DSP-408 I had under the passenger seat (nice processor for the price however I like the twk 88 better so I’m going to get another one) and installed an old Kenwood 5 channel amp I had to run the components active (this is also temporary as I plan to install 2 4 channel ARC Audio X2 amplifiers when I switch back to the twk 88 so I can add my differential rear fill)
The sub enclosure is bolted to the platform and I ran all wires behind using Anderson Power Pole quick connectors to make it easier to install or change something as I am prone to do. I also used blank plastic hole plugs so I could drill holes the size of the wires being used and again easily change.
I kept the Mercury Audio components I got from Brandon aka Nasty here (RIP my brother ?) and was planning to use the Bowtie enclosure above with the ARC Audio ARC Series 8” but by going to the platform I found the passenger seat wouldn’t go back far enough and the jump seat would not open all the way so I just built a basic wedge from Baltic Birch plywood for behind the passenger seat.
I used nutserts and rubber isolators to mount it to the rear wall at the top. I made a little mounting tab to use the jack tools mounting stud at the bottom and fashioned a little bracket to use another isolator mounted to the seatbelt mechanism stud.
I previously had the JL 13tw5 installed in an enclosure that spanned the entire rear wall but that was way more bass than I needed and I wanted to add a little more storage so I went back to my very first plan which was building a platform across the rear wall.
Haven’t done much to the truck in a while other than install reverse, cargo, license plate LED bulbs and changed a few things in the audio system. I previously did the diode mod to have the cargo lights come on in reverse but that didn’t help much with seeing behind at night while backing up however the LED bulbs made a huge difference.
Also installed reverse, cargo and license plate LED bulbs. I forgot to take a picture before but they are quite a bit brighter. I did the diode mod a while back to have the cargo lights come on when in reverse which didn’t help much with the backup camera but these LED’s make a huge difference when backing up at night.
Tried out the wheel cleaner and Silk Shine rubber/plastic Protectant from the Chemical Guys detailing kit I received for Christmas. I’m very impressed with wheel cleaner (water sheeted right off with no spotting or haze like the Jay Leno stuff I got the previous Christmas) and I will withhold critique on the tire shine until seeing how well it holds up.
Most OnlineNewest Member
Who's Online 85 Members, 0 Anonymous, 3,290 Guests (See full list)
- Matt Robertson
- Brian P
- Donald Plaisance
- 14 Silvy
- Jacob Moody
- Grumpy Bear
- jagabom (Esquire)