How To Adjust Trailer Gain On Integral Trailer Brake Controller?

I'm confused after reading the owner's manual about how to adjust the Integral Trailer Brake Controller (ITBC) on my 2011 Silverado 1500 (4WD with 5.3L, 6-speed, 4WD, 3.42). This is my first new GM truck, first brake controller, and first travel trailer (about 4,000 lbs empty) so bear with me.

After hooking up the trailer correctly, the manual says to "Adjust the trailer gain by using the Gain Adjustment (+/-) Buttons on the Trailer Brake Control Panel." Then, "Drive the vehicle with the trailer attached on a level road...and fully apply the Manual Trailer Brake Apply Lever..." and "Adjust the trailer gain to just below the point of trailer wheel lock-up..." (Silverado 2011 manual, pp 9-114/115).

How does applying the Manual Trailer Brake Apply Lever fits into this procedure? It is just to be sure the trailer brakes are working before you make the adjustment with the Gain Adjustment Buttons, or am I'm missing the point altogether?

An explanation and simple instructions on how to adjust the ITBC will be greatly appreciated by this newbie.

You want to adjust the gain so that you can "lock up" your trailer brakes using the IBC brake switch without applying your tow vehicle brakes. You need to ensure that the trailer brakes are operating independent of you stepping on your vehicle brake pedal. That way you can you use the IBC brake switch to stop your trailer if something happens to your truck brakes while towing. After you've found the gain setting that stops your trailer solid, back the gain off just a hair. Make sure that you check out the IBC function on a fairly level service going above 25 mph. You want to be able to adjust the IBC gain with some momentum of the trailer to ensure that if needed, you can stop the trailer with the IBC. Then get your trailer up to towing speed and apply your vehicle brakes and see how the trailer and truck brakes feel working together. You can adjust the gain control on the IBC as needed so that you sense that the trailer brakes are doing their share of stopping.

Archived