Automatic Air Conditioning Issues

BradsrTN

Question

I am wondering if anyone is experiencing temperature issues with the automatic air conditioning system in their Canyon or Colorado?

Bought the 2016 Canyon in April and currently have logged 6,500 miles. About 6 weeks after purchasing I noticed that the cabin temp would get warm after about 15 ~ 20 minutes of driving. We drove the truck from TN to SC on vacation at the end of June and the problem became very annoying. The cabin temp changes so much that we have to adjust the temp setting to LO and then it will respond after a few minutes. The fan changes speed but the air continues to be warm. On our return trip from vacation I noticed that once the air started getting warm if I stepped on the gas enough to engage passing gear the cool air would return without adjusting the temp. I have been able to repeat the step on the gas process to change the temp many times.

Today I have my truck at the dealer for the second time to check out the A/C issue and a 75mph+ vibration problem. The first trip I was told that the A/C systems was operating within MFG spec and I should use it in AUTO. I have been using AUTO and when that failed to keep the set temp I switched back and forth with the same results both ways... My confidence is not high that they can correct the issue.

I am new to the Forum and have been reading about the Vibration issues and thought I would ask about the A/C issues. This is my first GMC and at this moment it does not look to promising..

6 answers to this question

mine has 1600miles on it and it started having AC issues at about 1200 miles. At first I thought it was just with the auto mode on the AC but I have since been able to reproduce it with manual mode only. It will blow cold air and then it will blow warm air for a while heating up the cab. I need to contact my dealer and see what they can do about it. I got rid of a 13 yr old tacoma that had ice cold AC its whole life to this and I'm not happy.

Nothing new to report yet. I went for a ride with the Service Manager last Wednesday and was able to reproduce the issue in Auto/Auto mode. The truck initially cools and then starts blowing warm air. I can tell when is happening by the condensation that forms on the vents. The SM was not sure how to respond when I could change the temp by stepping on the gas...

I now have an appointment for next Monday for them to take another look at the issues. This will be trip #4. We will see.

I had the same thing happen, first they said it was normal. I had to call gm and log a complaint. They kept the truck a whole week and had it idling trying to replicate for gm techs. They finally asked me to come in and get it to blow hot. I replicated it within 8 minutes. They had the truck connected to the computer while I replicated the issue. They concluded it was the compressor and expansion valve. Replaced both and been working great since.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

The thing is, they have to show the compressor fully open at 100% while the air is blowing warm.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

Edited by mexica

I have a 2016 with 11,000 miles. I have found an intermittent problem in which the heat wont come on. Crank up the temp and the fan goes to full but its blowing cold air through the defrost. Even manual mode won't heat the air up. Of course when I go to the dealer it starts working. I want this fixed before winter, but it has to not heating before dealer can diagnose it. Frustrating but I still love this truck.

Edited by CamaroLegend

On 7/19/2016 at 10:42 AM, BradsrTN said:

I am wondering if anyone is experiencing temperature issues with the automatic air conditioning system in their Canyon or Colorado?

Bought the 2016 Canyon in April and currently have logged 6,500 miles. About 6 weeks after purchasing I noticed that the cabin temp would get warm after about 15 ~ 20 minutes of driving. We drove the truck from TN to SC on vacation at the end of June and the problem became very annoying. The cabin temp changes so much that we have to adjust the temp setting to LO and then it will respond after a few minutes. The fan changes speed but the air continues to be warm. On our return trip from vacation I noticed that once the air started getting warm if I stepped on the gas enough to engage passing gear the cool air would return without adjusting the temp. I have been able to repeat the step on the gas process to change the temp many times.

Today I have my truck at the dealer for the second time to check out the A/C issue and a 75mph+ vibration problem. The first trip I was told that the A/C systems was operating within MFG spec and I should use it in AUTO. I have been using AUTO and when that failed to keep the set temp I switched back and forth with the same results both ways... My confidence is not high that they can correct the issue.

I am new to the Forum and have been reading about the Vibration issues and thought I would ask about the A/C issues. This is my first GMC and at this moment it does not look to promising..

I just started having this issue.  There is nothing wrong with the compressor because when it is working, it blows colder than any other A/C system I've ever had.  It will literally freeze me out if I have it on Lo, and I live in Arizona.  The problem is either electrical or something with the computer / controller not sending a signal to activate the compressor.  I've checked fuses / relays but if it were either of those, it wouldn't be intermittent.  It would not work at all.  It's frustrating because I do all the maintenance / repairs on my vehicles and am very good at it, but this problem needs to be diagnosed with computer diagnostics equipment, and unless they can look at recent log files, the problem would have to be occurring while it was being diagnosed.  I don't want to take it to the dealer because I have 42K miles and it's out of warranty for this type of problem.  I was hoping to find the answer in this forum but it doesn't sound like anyone has a definitive solution.

I have a 2016 Colorado LT V6 and drove home from work A/C worked great. The next morning got in it to go to work and nothing. I checked fuse and relays they were all good and even changed the low pressure switch still nothing and it has a good charge in the system checked with gauges this one has me stumped for sure.