Gas Tank Relocation 1971 GMC truck

Hello, I am  new here.  I need some help.  I have a 71 GMC truck where the gas tank was recently moved from behind the sit to under the bed.  That is how the previous owner was using it.  It is a top fill tank that he bought offline (nice tank) but I would like to fill the tank from the side of the truck instead of the opening the tailgate to fill the tank in the floor of the bed.  My problem is the level of the top fill tank and my filler neck seem to not work.  The hose has to bend to much (almost level) with the gas tank fill hole.  I can't get gas to go in it at a gas station.  I have to fill it very slowly with a gas can in order to get any gas in it.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Jvin

• 4 weeks later...

1st check the tank and make sure that there are no plugs in tank openings that should have vent hoses, as the most common thing for causing slow filling is owners plug the vent line openings instead of using all for venting air. These vents are all needed due to the 1 1/4" fuel filler neck being so small when filling tank enough air can't escape through vent used or filler neck causing back pressure to build quickly resulting in having to fill tanks very slowly to prevent them burping gas out fuel filler neck. There are a total of 3 vents minimum on the tanks, 1 connects near top of fuel filler neck ( as close to top as you can get ) and then 2 smaller vent lines connections with 1 of each on either side of tank. Connect fuel vent valves to end of vent hoses so that it allows trapped air to escape but prevents outside debris, moisture, etc.... from entering tank. Heres a link to one by Holley at Summit

Tank Vent Valve

Paul Jr @ GMCPauls