Tow capacity of SSR

Hi --

I'm curious about the towing capacity of the SSR. It is listed as being able to tow up to 2,500lbs. Can this be increased to like 4,000lbs? It appears to have all the power and torque to do it. What might it lack? Looks like a stylish half-ton stepside. Would be a perfect tow vehicle for my 64 Airstream Trade Wind.

Thanks,

Its wheel base, and weight are probably the factors. I wouldn't tow a radio flyer with one.

The SSR's wheel base is only three inches shorter than a 1/2 ton, which can tow up to to 7,300lbs with just a 5.3L (short bed, 2wd). Meanwhile, the wheel base of the SSR is 6.5 inches longer than a Jeep GC, which is rated 6,500lbs. And, the SSR has a lower center of gravity, which should help stability. The curb weight of the GC is 3,900lbs. Meanwhile, the curb weight of the SSR is 4,700lbs. In other words, it is heavier, longer and more powerful than the GC, yet it is only rated to tow less than half. So it sounds artificially constrained to me.

I would not want to tow anything big with it, I've got other trucks for that :withstupid:

Anyone else out there having looked into this?

Looks like a stylish half-ton stepside. Would be a perfect tow vehicle for my 64 Airstream Trade Wind.

Thanks,

I would not want to tow anything big with it, I've got other trucks for that  :withstupid:

Just becasue a truck is heavier than another, dosen't mean it can tow more, actually it means it can tow less, because the extra weight takes up more of the GVWR, so you are left with less for a trailer or payload.

Take the S-10, (just becasue I have an owners manual in front of me), The bigger the truck gets, or heavier, the towing weights go down.

(3.42 gear specs used)

2wd 4300 Vortec, Auto, 6000 lbs

4wd 4300 Vortec, Auto, 5500 lbs

The weights of the front gear box, transfer case, and different suspension takes away becasue it increases the weight rating.

PLUS being its a sports truck, it probably has restristions from its 5 link rear setup, and flat out the SSR wasn't designed to tow, It isn't a truck, its a car, its a hot rod according to chevy. I don't hear people complaing that their 32 roadster won't tow for crap. The SSR is for show, not for tow. I would put money in a bet saying that their wasn't one GM designer that was worried about towing with this thing, I'm sure its rated at something so people can pull a luggage trailer that is designed for a motor cycle I assume, not much you can tow with 2500.

The suspension is the reason why it can't tow heavy loads,It can't handle loads over 2500lbs because it sits too low to the ground.

This is the same reason why the S10 Extremes could not tow,The suspension is not set up to do so.

Archived