Zerk on yoke?

You must have a two piece drive shaft. I have the same thing on my '93 ECSB. Don't you wonder how often that zerk fitting is overlooked? Anyway, the grease fitting on the yoke keeps the driveshaft slip joint lubricated, because where the rear shaft couples to the forward shaft, it has to be able to move in and out, in and out :withstupid: every time the rear axle moves up or down. I don't think it lubes the carrier bearing (wouldn't that be nice). If you put too much grease in the 'shaft at the yoke, it'll make a real mess under there...

There's another semi-secret zerk fitting on trucks with heavy duty manual transmissions (separate bellhousings and gearboxes) on the bottom of the bellhousing; it's there to lube the clutch fork pivot ball. Don't overdo the grease on that one. One pump and you're done, so to speak.

cool... I though that is what it was for. but wasn't sure. If it really cold out under 30, have a weird sound comming when i take off. if it's warm above 30 never hear it.

Any special type of grease for that? or just use the same as i do for the other zerks? how many pumps? 1 or 2?

Thanks for the help!

I looked all thru the propeller shaft and general maintenance sections in my '93 factory service manual, but couldn't find any specific reference to what they wanted the slip joint (they call it a slip yoke) lubricated with. I'd bet whatever is in your grease gun is fine, as long as it's some kind of decent chassis grease manufactured in the last 15 years and meets any kind of MIL or GM spec.

You'll have to make the call on how much to pump in there, but if the dust cap pops off the back of the yoke, that's too much grease! :withstupid: Not that it ever happened to me...

Archived