oil filter

I need to know the difference in oil filters. I have a 2000 gmc pickup that uses a pf 59. I also have a 2002 suburban that uses a pf59. Now my 2005 pickup uses a pf46. After looking at them side by side I can only see that one is shorter than the other. Why can't I use the pf59 on all three? What is the real advange to the pf46? If there is one.

I need to know the difference in oil filters. I have a 2000 gmc pickup that uses a pf 59.  I also have a 2002 suburban that uses a pf59. Now my 2005 pickup uses a pf46. After looking at them side by side I can only see that one is shorter than the other. Why can't I use the pf59 on all three? What is the real advange to the pf46? If there is one.

"Real Advantage"= cheaper for GM to standardize on smaller filter for many applications.

Stick with PF59 for all three applications, and you'll gain filter capacity on the 2005. Despite GM's choice to save money, many folks continue to use the PF59 style filter on 2003 and up trucks with good results. Do a search on this subject, and you'll find that many agree. :(

Also I've read on the forums that the engine oil life monitor is calibrated to the PF46. So if you are using the change engine oil reminder on your 05 it might be off. However if you're like most and change oil at regular scheduled intervals there's no disadvantage to the PF59, and has been stated the big ADVANTAGE is there's more filter area to catch those oil contaminents.

vroten :(

Archived