Fan clutch makes noise

We have an 03 Envoy with a 4.2L. Has anyone else had a problem with the fan clutch making noise when it is disengaged? It seem to make noise upon starting it, untill it gets warm enough for the fan to engage. It almost sounds like some one is hitting a small piece of metal with a hammer untill the fan kicks in and (a miracle) no more noise, that is until the fan once again kicks off. I now I repeated my self alot but it is really annoying.

I was wondering if anyone else has had this problem and if so, what was the fix? New Clutch???

thanks in advance

Yeah, we replace a lot of clutches for this on the Trailblazer (same thing as an Envoy). It's a rythmic clicking and it's the solenoid in the clutch. You can verify this is the clutch by disconnecting the electrical connector when it's doing it. It should stop. The connector is alongside the fan shroud, at the top, driver's side.

GM-Tech

I understand this takes a special tool to complete. If an average guy has the special tool, can this clutch be replaced by the owner. Don't have the problem (yet, and hope I don't jinx myself) but my warranty will soon expire. Just thinking down the road, as I have heard replacement cost at the dealership will exceed $400.

Yes, I'd say a mechanically inclined person should have no problems replacing the fan clutch. Keep in mind it's not a simple job on that particular model. Warranty time to replace it is 2.1 hours, and if warranty pays that much, you know it's involved!

Yes, I'd say a mechanically inclined person should have no problems replacing the fan clutch.  Keep in mind it's not a simple job on that particular model.    Warranty time to replace it is 2.1 hours, and if warranty pays that much, you know it's involved!

Is the time to replace different if not under warranty? Just curious.

• 4 weeks later...

I have had the same noise with my trailblazer but I only here the noise when Im on the gas and only it only last a couple of seconds. The noise is a lot like the noise that maverickseb described. Could this be the same problem or somthing else? Any ideas?????? :thumbs:

Yes, I'd say a mechanically inclined person should have no problems replacing the fan clutch.  Keep in mind it's not a simple job on that particular model.    Warranty time to replace it is 2.1 hours, and if warranty pays that much, you know it's involved!

Is this fan clutch problem a common occurence on the 2002 -2003 only or will the 2004s and 05 still have the defective parts?

Spear

Archived