Stepside Z

When I ordered the cluster I gave the parts guy the miles, engine hours, and  vin. All the data was programed into the new cluster befor it was shipped. The parts guy called A/C Delco electronics (clusters section) and gave them the information while I was standing there. I think these are repaired units but not sure. The first cluster the trip odometer did not work (damaged during shipping) the second works perfectly. Both looked perfect and I am real picky. The parts guy and I ran this whole deal down and here is the story. If you buy new and I think it is a little cheaper, non of the data is programmed into the unit. I preferred to have the correct milage and hours give or take 30 miles for trips to and from the dealer. That is not enough to make a difference. Besides I did not want one of the fancy clusters just the trans temp gauge so I am happy with how things worked out for me. Hope this helps and good luck with what you decide.

John

(Edited by Stepside Z at 8:43 am on June 18, 2001)

Thanks for the info.  I thought I had read somewhere that the hour meter could not be reprogrammed, but guess I was mistaken.  I will have to file this away, as it will probably be a few years until I can buy a new truck, but it is exactly what I wanted to know.

I understand completely about being picky about what is done to your truck, cause I'm that way .  I definitly want the correct mileage and hours whenever I get this done too.

Kansas Kid,

Now that I think about it the hour meter did come back exactly 1 hour off. I thought it was just a mistake and did not say anything about it. So I cannot tell for sure if the hours can or cannot be reprogrammed. When the parts guy call it in the cluster guys did not say anything about not reprograming the hours. Hope this helps.

Archived