04 single CD to 03 6 disc changer?

Will a 6 disc changer from an 03 Chevy work in my 04 GMC Sierra? If so, is the wiring all the same? Also, I don't think that truck has XM radio, but mine does. I read another post about XM where one person said it was built into the HU and another person said that it was an external module.....so....I guess I just wanna know if XM would work with the other HU.

I read that it must be recoded at the dealership due to the anti-theft.

Thanks

Will a 6 disc changer from an 03 Chevy work in my 04 GMC Sierra?  If so, is the wiring all the same?  Also, I don't think that truck has XM radio, but mine does.  I read another post about XM where one person said it was built into the HU and another person said that it was an external module.....so....I guess I just wanna know if XM would work with the other HU.

Thanks

The changer should work, each model year has the clas II data bus. The changer should hvae "metal" mounting ears, not plastic. that doesn't mean it will be easy to do. Wiring mods are sometimes needed. You may need to take the harness that comes with the changer, and interface the other end into the HU harness. Find the LONG thread started by Linda, you'll have everything you need.

Confusion on the XM, I believe the HU has to be XM ready or compatable. There are no GM HU's to my knowledge that contain the XM logic circuitry (reciever)

I have read quite a bit of Linda's thread. She's referring to the stand-alone 6 disc changer. The one I'm talking about is built into the HU. Is there info further down that thread about the one I'm talking about?

Also, how would I find out whether or not the HU I'm taking out of the Chevy is XM compatible? The truck doesn't have XM but the HU looks identical to the ones I've seen in pictures on this forum.

I have read quite a bit of Linda's thread.  She's referring to the stand-alone 6 disc changer.  The one I'm talking about is built into the HU.  Is there info further down that thread about the one I'm talking about?

Also, how would I find out whether or not the HU I'm taking out of the Chevy is XM compatible?  The truck doesn't have XM but the HU looks identical to the ones I've seen in pictures on this forum.

Ooops, sorry. I think the HU's are swappable, no mods. I also think all the HU's (except the base unit HU) is XM compatable. I had the single cd/cassette, and I think the 6 disc HU is swappable with my harness. I see no reason they would not be. (and I have read 40 hours on these oem systems)

Will a 6 disc changer from an 03 Chevy work in my 04 GMC Sierra?  If so, is the wiring all the same?  Also, I don't think that truck has XM radio, but mine does.  I read another post about XM where one person said it was built into the HU and another person said that it was an external module.....so....I guess I just wanna know if XM would work with the other HU.

Thanks

The 6 disc headunit is a direct swap for your single disc headunit, all the wiring is identicle. XM is a separate module and it doesn't reguire any changes. Just remove your headunit and plug the new one in. The only problem is the the new headunit will be theftlocked when installed in your truck (as would any used headunit)

The dealership can reprogram the unit (with a Tech II programmer) for your VIN so the theftlock will not be locked.

Archived