6.0 vs. 8.1

In everyday driving situations (not heavy towing or hauling) how much faster will the 8.1 feel over the 6.0 (in a Suburban)? Is the extra torque of the 8.1 worth it (in terms of extra $ at purchase and at the pump) if I don't tow/haul that much that often?

Are there any non-performance related factors to consider. For example, 8.1 requires "autoride." While autoride seems to be generally despised, would it make the Suburban noticeably smoother than the "firm-ride" only 6.0. Also, is the 8.1's transmission (which is not an Allison in Suburbans) better, or worse, than the one in the 6.0?

Thanks!

In everyday driving situations (not heavy towing or hauling) how much faster will the 8.1 feel over the 6.0 (in a Suburban)?  Is the extra torque of the 8.1 worth it (in terms of extra $ at purchase and at the pump) if I don't tow/haul that much that often?

Are there any non-performance related factors to consider.  For example, 8.1 requires "autoride."  While autoride seems to be generally despised, would it make the Suburban noticeably smoother than the "firm-ride" only 6.0.  Also, is the 8.1's transmission (which is not an Allison in Suburbans) better, or worse, than the one in the 6.0? 

Thanks!

If your not towing... the 6.0 will be more than enough motor. The 8.1 would be sensless to buy unless your towing and would burn a hole in your wallet at the pump

I have a 2002 Suburban 2500 6.0L w/3.73 it pulls my 27' travel trailer without much trouble. I am happy with the ride, but you will feel the 3/4ton suspension if you find a large pot hole. The best fuel mileage I have seen is 15.5 mpg on the freeway.

In everyday driving situations (not heavy towing or hauling) how much faster will the 8.1 feel over the 6.0 (in a Suburban)?  Is the extra torque of the 8.1 worth it (in terms of extra $ at purchase and at the pump) if I don't tow/haul that much that often?

Are there any non-performance related factors to consider.  For example, 8.1 requires "autoride."  While autoride seems to be generally despised, would it make the Suburban noticeably smoother than the "firm-ride" only 6.0.  Also, is the 8.1's transmission (which is not an Allison in Suburbans) better, or worse, than the one in the 6.0? 

Thanks!

When fuel and not towing is put into the equation then it's my opinion that the extra torque of the 8.1 is not enough to justify the reason to own it. Regardless of autoride, the 3/4 Sub rides more stiff regardless of the engine and autoride option.

The 6.0 will do great for your application, and it will have the mpg advantage.

Thanks!

When fuel and not towing is put into the equation then it's my opinion that the extra torque of the 8.1 is not enough to justify the reason to own it. Regardless of autoride, the 3/4 Sub rides more stiff regardless of the engine and autoride option.

Not when towing though. If you tow heavy you will get the same or better MPG with a 8.1 as you will with a 6.0 plus have a lot of extra towing power. The towing power difference is night and day. Plus the 8.1 will make the same relative HP as the 6.0 at a lot lower RPM (HP = torque x RPM /5252) so you will have to wind the 6.0 up to 4000 RPM or more to get the same HP on the ground as the 8.1 will deliver around 3000 RPM or so. If you rarely tow the 6.0 is a good deal but, if you tow a lot and heavy you will never regret the extra muscle of the 8.1 especailly if the are hills, mountains or higher altitudes in your travels. I have driven trucks with both and the 8.1 is a beast in pulling power while the 6.0 is only marginal at best with a heavy trailer. Once you tow with one the difference is obvious. With a 8.1 and 4.10 gears and a big trailer, OD will be quite usable on highway while with 6.0 it will be pretty useless. The seat of the pants difference is a lot more than the extra displacement suggests. A 10,000lbs trailer with a 8.1 is not a big deal but with a 6.0 it would be very marginal at best. Maybe you do not have a trailer that heavy but it shows the abilty of the two when towing.

All of the towing aside, if you are talking about unloaded performance the BBL is notacably faster. My aunt has a 3/4 ton burban with the BBL. She traded the exact truck for it except with the 6.0L. They both have 3.73's. She said when they test drove the new one her and her husband were racing the two (the 2001 with the 6.0L and the 8.1L) at stoplights and the BBL just ate it up. She says she enjoys the extra power and the gas mileage is about 2mpg less. It is up to you though. You need to drive them both and see if the difference is enough for you, not to justify it for us. It's your money. :P

All of the towing aside, if you are talking about unloaded performance the BBL is notacably faster.  My aunt has a 3/4 ton burban with the BBL/Allison.  She traded the exact truck for it except with the 6.0L.  They both have 3.73's.  First gear in the Allison is lower and it uses the extra torque to really scoot the truck out of the hole.  She said when they test drove the new one her and her husband were racing the two (the 2001 with the 6.0L and the 8.1L) at stoplights and the BBL just ate it up.  She says she enjoys the extra power and the gas mileage is about 2mpg less.  It is up to you though.  You need to drive them both and see if the difference is enough for you, not to justify it for us. It's your money. :P

Ummm... They didn't make the Suburban with Allison trannies.

:P

Thanks for the input. I'm leaning towards the 2500 6.0 4WD with 4.10's and bigger tires (say, 285/75s). Will that be at least as fast (acceleration) around town as my current 1500 5.3 2WD with 3.73s (and 285/75s)?

Anyone have a sense as to the MPG difference (city and/or highway) between a 5.3 Suburban and 6.0 Suburban (there're no EPA ratings for the 2500s)?

Thanks again for the input.

All of the towing aside, if you are talking about unloaded performance the BBL is notacably faster.  My aunt has a 3/4 ton burban with the BBL/Allison.  She traded the exact truck for it except with the 6.0L.  They both have 3.73's.  First gear in the Allison is lower and it uses the extra torque to really scoot the truck out of the hole.  She said when they test drove the new one her and her husband were racing the two (the 2001 with the 6.0L and the 8.1L) at stoplights and the BBL just ate it up.  She says she enjoys the extra power and the gas mileage is about 2mpg less.  It is up to you though.  You need to drive them both and see if the difference is enough for you, not to justify it for us. It's your money. :P

Ummm... They didn't make the Suburban with Allison trannies.

:P

99 2 door thanks for the pickup on that, I forgot the SUV's don't offer the Alli, anyways she says it is faster. It's been a long week. :P

Thanks!

Not when towing though. If you tow heavy you will get the same or better MPG with a 8.1 as you will with a 6.0 plus have a lot of extra towing power. The towing power difference is night and day. Plus the 8.1 will make the same relative HP as the 6.0 at a lot lower RPM (HP = torque x RPM /5252) so you will have to wind the 6.0 up to 4000 RPM or more to get the same HP on the ground as the 8.1 will deliver around 3000 RPM or so. If you rarely tow the 6.0 is a good deal but, if you tow a lot and heavy you will never regret the extra muscle of the 8.1 especailly if the are hills, mountains or higher altitudes in your travels. I have driven trucks with both and the 8.1 is a beast in pulling power while the 6.0 is only marginal at best with a heavy trailer. Once you tow with one the difference is obvious. With a 8.1 and 4.10 gears and a big trailer, OD will be quite usable on highway while with 6.0 it will be pretty useless. The seat of the pants difference is a lot more than the extra displacement suggests. A 10,000lbs trailer with a 8.1 is not a big deal but with a 6.0 it would be very marginal at best. Maybe you do not have a trailer that heavy but it shows the abilty of the two when towing.

ebod didn't say anything about towing. In just about every post you put up snoman your trying to prove somebody wrong. Always negative :P

Thanks!

Try reading the original post before shooting off at my reply with your illtempered repetition. Towing is not a requirement.

HI,

Our company just got an 8.1L in a Silverado 2500HD. It high torgue but not the snap of the 6.0. Once we put in an air intake and superchip - that helped with the gas. Personally I perfer the 8.1. More is more by far.

Good luck, karmen

[email protected]

PS Here is some info on the superchip and airaid intakes

click here for superchip info

Click here for info on Airaid

Archived