Rear Gear Replacement

I have to replace the rear gears in my son's 98 S-10. I ran the RPO's and find that it has 3:73 gears and positrac. Judging by the way its acting I suspect the spiders have failed. Looking for advice as to wether or not to have the rear end rebuilt or go to a salvage yard for another rear end. Truck has 130K on it and don't think he'll have it to much longer. Either way I go what should I expect to pay. If I go the salvage route I will be swapping the rear myself. Just have never rebuilt a rear gear before and know they are real precise. Thanks for any input. Jeff

Rear gears aren't that bad to install. But if he's getting ready to get rid of it, I'd recommend getting a rear from a junkyard, expect to pay anywhere from $50-300 depending on what you need.

You'll have to figure out what rear the truck actually has, is it a 7 5/8" or 8.5"? then check to see what kind of yoke the pinion has to connect to the driveshaft, Gm got stupid and did some double universals on ext. cabs that really are a pain, technical term is a double cardigan joint.

If you have a 7 5/8s, then you can get a rear from any s-10 from 1982 - present, just keep 2wds to 2wds, 4wds to 4wds. The parking brake cables never changed, spring mounts never changed, just 82-89 has 26 spline axles, and a different brake cylinder than the 90+. if you're just swapping the rears, none of this matters, just bolt it in, check the fluid, bleed the brakes and roll on.

good luck!

Archived