A/C issue?

This started to happen(i dont remember it ever before) when i turn on the a/c on my truck while driving everything is fine, But if i'm parked or at a stop light I feel the engine surging about every 20 sec or so.

Today at drive thru. I was able to hear this clicking sound when the engine would surge. It was not a constant steading click(like the compressor ) i would hear a click, then nothing, or a click click, and even a click click click. The sound was comming from the drivers side of truck,.

The a/c is working pefect, very cold and all. But never remember it doing this ever before. If i turn of the a/c it stops this surging/clicking.

it's a 99 Gmc Sierra NBS

Thanks

I just replaced a compressor on a 99 due to the front clutch coming apart. The compressor change wasn't nessacry but in the grand scheme of things he got away cheap. Same kind of noise, don't know about the surging. He had stopped using the a/c till it was fixed. He got a "buddy deal" with me doing it. Nothing a clutch would'nt have fixed.

I never looked for the clutch but NAPA doesn't show one so maybe not. Maybe that's why the shop wanted $1200 to do the job. the compressor was $264 He wanted a new compressor and that's what I did.

Yes it is cost effective(clutch) if you can do it yourself and get parts

Archived